Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   From dirt to snow (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/7014-dirt-snow.html)

Administrator 12-24-2007 11:41 AM

From dirt to snow

Original Article:
From dirt to snow

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article From dirt to snow in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

seruzawa 12-24-2007 12:03 PM

Interesting. I use a snowmobile for hauling/towing/utility or trails so a tracked bike wouldn't be able to replace it. But I can attest to the problems of increasing snowmobile weight. The use of lighter materials only resulted in larger snowmobiles so when you get stuck on those porkers (that's when, not if) you can be completely hosed unless you are in a group. My favorite 'bile for funnin' around was a 250 Yammer simply because it was so handy and easy to unstick.

If I were using a 'bile just for stooging around then one of these conversions might be worth a closer look.

The_AirHawk 12-24-2007 12:44 PM

I started to say "Man, this isn't new - I've seen these things for over a DECADE!"

Then I read about their 10-year development, and decided to just STFU.............

seruzawa 12-24-2007 12:48 PM

You were right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 176015)
I started to say "Man, this isn't new - I've seen these things for over a DECADE!"

Then I read about their 10-year development, and decided to just STFU.............

I used to see a similar device that was sold for Triumph Mountain Cubs back in the 60s. The problem was.. who would ever be dumb enough to go off into the snowpacked wilderness on a Triumph Mountain Cub?

pplassm 12-25-2007 04:52 AM

I've seen several variations on this over the years, including the Boivin Snow Hawk, a purpose built snow-cycle. I wish them luck selling them, and I would really like to hear from someone who has ridden one.

I did read a test on this specific product, in Cycle News, I believe. The tester commented, that, one of the disadvantages was the bike was pinned all the time, resulting in very poor mileage. The riders were only able to get about 20 miles out of a tank of fuel. This has implications for increased engine wear, of course, as well.

Gluge 12-28-2007 07:00 PM

I don't know I went dirt biking in 2 ft of snow once... it was a blast!

No special trax thing either.

It did take some getting used to and could be kind of hard to get going but once you got up to a good speed it was a blast. Seemed like you couldn't go too slow though or you'd loose your traction.. I think you needed to go fast enough to be flinging the snow off the tires preventing it from turning your knobbies into slicks...

But it was a Blast!

Anyone else dirtbike in the snow?

pplassm 12-28-2007 07:58 PM

I have a set of Trellborg Winter Friction spiked tires in my garage for the rare foray into the Great White North.

There are also other solutions. Sheet metal screws work for a while, until the rocks and roots pull them out. Car tire studs are good for light snow, while the Trellie spikes and 1/4" bolts (really!) are good for deeper snow.

ericrosten 01-03-2008 09:36 PM

Makes sense to me. Half the width of a sled, four-stroke, leans around corners and sidehills like it should, narrow for slicing through snow better (think tall, narrow, knobby snow tires), much lighter for floatation, and is totally radical. When I found a few videos on Youtube, I said "YEE HAWWWW!!!" Now take your snowmobile and ride dirt and mud through the summer. Less garage space hogged up. The whole thing only makes perfect sence. Now, where is that aftermarket gas tank maker....

sfcdjevans 01-04-2008 02:58 PM