Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-21-2007, 06:07 PM   #11
Gluge
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Not quite everyone! Did you see in Mr. Cuddy's link that a company called Airtec is making the fairings?!?! Wouldn't THAT be cool...make it a B2 stealth configuration and line it with RAM (radar absorbing material) and now you're getting somewhere...
Yea I think Airtech will make you one too if you ask. They're not that hard to make yourself either. One thing I wonder though if I make one for my 125 I'm not sure about cooling to the radiator and how well that would work or what to do exactly about it... Take a bit of testing. It has a top speed of 145 mph now though, I'm thinking with a dustbin I might be able to do 160 on it, might take a new tail also..
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-21-2007, 06:39 PM   #12
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluge View Post
Yea I think Airtech will make you one too if you ask. ..
Nah, that's just idle chatter on my part...besides, making the DL Urban Assault Cycle attractive would be scary!

However, there is this nice little farkel out there:

http://www.nabble.com/JVM-fairing-lowers,-$575-limited-time-price.-td14441801.html

Maybe when the year end bonus rolls in, I'll roll some of it back out again!
Old 12-21-2007, 07:55 PM   #13
Gluge
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Nah, that's just idle chatter on my part...besides, making the DL Urban Assault Cycle attractive would be scary!

However, there is this nice little farkel out there:

http://www.nabble.com/JVM-fairing-lowers,-$575-limited-time-price.-td14441801.html

Maybe when the year end bonus rolls in, I'll roll some of it back out again!
No, check this airtech dustbin out - GILERA ROAD RACE DUSTBIN FAIRING, SEAT, FENDER
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Old 12-21-2007, 08:18 PM   #14
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
Hogwash. It's not possible to improve fuel mileage by that much with a simple different fairing.

Ha HAAAAAAAA....here we go again...

Sachi Darlin' I get 253 mpg on my Dyna after taking Gluges advice...In fact I get such good gas mileage I have to drain the tank every few days to keep it from back filling........

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:38 PM   #15
Gluge
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post

Sachi Darlin' I get 253 mpg on my Dyna after taking Gluges advice...In fact I get such good gas mileage I have to drain the tank every few days to keep it from back filling........
Before anyone jumps on me about my claim that adding a dustbin fairing will double your highway mpg, please consider how many people you know who have tried a dustbin fairing.

I would be interested to hear any stories people have of actually trying one. I have one story, it's not much I know but it's something.

That and I'm begrudgingly endorsed by Longride.
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Old 12-21-2007, 10:33 PM   #16
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Note the convex "scoop" on the side of it for cooling (you mentioned this problem in an earlier post). Also note, the bike to which it's affixed appears to be an aircooled single, probably making sub-30hp, even in vintage race-tune. Not so much heat to dissipate as a more modern engine of the same displacement, but more power.

The more smoothly you make the air flow-around the bike, the harder it will be to make it flow through your cooling means. I've read before that this was a major problem that plagued virtually all the dustbin bikes, and was never satisfactorily solved before their demise.

It was a compromise of the first order: the bikes could be made to go much faster, but would overheat immediately. Divert enough air to cool the bike, you lose-out on the full potential, maybe cost yourself a race (and a championship). And what was "optimum" could change day to day, or even throughout a given race.

Sum-total of my knowlege of the Dustbin bikes, right there. And it's been probably a decade since I read anything on them, so some bits may be mis-remembered. But the gist of what I read (that caught my interest enough to remember) is there.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 12-21-2007 at 10:35 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:43 PM   #17
Gluge
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Note the convex "scoop" on the side of it for cooling (you mentioned this problem in an earlier post). Also note, the bike to which it's affixed appears to be an aircooled single, probably making sub-30hp, even in vintage race-tune. Not so much heat to dissipate as a more modern engine of the same displacement, but more power.

The more smoothly you make the air flow-around the bike, the harder it will be to make it flow through your cooling means. I've read before that this was a major problem that plagued virtually all the dustbin bikes, and was never satisfactorily solved before their demise.

It was a compromise of the first order: the bikes could be made to go much faster, but would overheat immediately. Divert enough air to cool the bike, you lose-out on the full potential, maybe cost yourself a race (and a championship). And what was "optimum" could change day to day, or even throughout a given race.

Sum-total of my knowlege of the Dustbin bikes, right there. And it's been probably a decade since I read anything on them, so some bits may be mis-remembered. But the gist of what I read (that caught my interest enough to remember) is there.
Your forgetting air cooled bikes take a lot more air flow to cool properly though. They weren't all air cooled then. Take the MotoGuzzi V8, no over heating problems with it and it had quite a small scoop (I've seen it in person, so pretty)

My 125 even in 110 degree willow springs summers takes very little cooling, often I have to tape half of the little radiator off just to keep it warm enough.

You can also arrainge the flow of air so it goes through a radiator then back out cleanly which helps some. In the bike my friend put a dust bin on though he just left the large opening where the front wheel comes out and that's been enough to keep it cool. Of course he's far from racing it.
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Old 12-21-2007, 10:57 PM   #18
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluge View Post
Your forgetting air cooled bikes take a lot more air flow to cool properly though. They weren't all air cooled then. Take the MotoGuzzi V8, no over heating problems with it and it had quite a small scoop (I've seen it in person, so pretty)

My 125 even in 110 degree willow springs summers takes very little cooling, often I have to tape half of the little radiator off just to keep it warm enough.

You can also arrainge the flow of air so it goes through a radiator then back out cleanly which helps some. In the bike my friend put a dust bin on though he just left the large opening where the front wheel comes out and that's been enough to keep it cool. Of course he's far from racing it.

Nah, I'm not forgettin' all that. I've seen lots of non-stock "strategic ducting" on various bikes. If you direct it, the cooling air is more effective than just "ambient radiation" of the heat. Have you ever been through the Barber Museum? If not, you OWE it to yourself to take the tour, look over some of that vintage iron closely. It's amazing (to me) some of the clever ways they came-up with to solve problems (like overheating, as just one example) back in the early days of racing - things that are a non-issue today (either due to better metallurgy, plastics, manufacturing practices, etc.)

When I was younger, I used to think that racers and engineers back then were somehow "dumber" than today. As I've learned since maturing a bit; not even close. Makes one think: how will they view racers of TODAY in another 60-80 years?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:51 AM   #19
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post

Snarli, Gluge is NOT making this up! Go look at that Vetter site, those bikes were doing 400 mpg in contest trim. It hardly seems a stretch of the imagination to me that a well tuned "street" dustbin bike could do 200 mpg. Hell, I could almost double the mileage on the Conster if I tried by handling the throttle right!
Old 12-22-2007, 06:06 AM   #20
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Ok, I did. the bikes were in "contest trim" he says. They use a 125-200 cc engine and they are geared so high as to be unusable for anything except for mileage contests.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote