Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-20-2007, 04:57 AM   #11
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Get a Scott Oiler or a Loobman. That will solve a lot of your issues with the chain.

By the way, 20k is not all that bad.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-20-2007, 08:25 AM   #12
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

New o and x ring chains really don't need that intense maintenance like the old Diamond chains. Up here in the Pacific Northwet I still get 20k minimum out of my chains by just spraying them with penetrating oil and wiping them off with an oil soaked rag every thousand miles or so.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:13 PM   #13
bbtowns
Founding Member

Default Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Do your maintenance before you leave?.....
Ahhh, does no one take trips on their bikes anymore.
bbtowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:23 PM   #14
vermicious
Registered Member

I did a 1500 mile trip this past summer but I didn't find it necessary to have a center or rear-wheel stand to do it. I took a can of chain wax with me and walked the bike a short distance through a parking lot when I needed to re-lube.
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:35 PM   #15
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Ohh, jeeheezuzzz...Ever hear of a milk crate? But if you got one o' dem goofy bikes with an underslung exhaust where you don't have no flat soiface, here's what you do;

Kick the bike up on it's kickstand, 'till the rear tire is about two inches off the deck. Then, stick a block of wood, cinder block, bricks, cats, styrofoam cups, Buicks under the frame on the opposite side of the kickstand, wedged in real good like, and hold the bike off the gound.

Then you can adjust the chain, take off the rear wheel, etc...

Use to have me a whole seta 2x4's all cut down to the right length for the old KZ750 (The Valdez). Many milk crates, and 20mm ammo boxes....
Old 12-20-2007, 04:17 PM   #16
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
Get a Scott Oiler or a Loobman. That will solve a lot of your issues with the chain.

By the way, 20k is not all that bad.
I've been the loobman route. The zip ties wear, it's a bit of a mess if there is sand on the road or any other type of crud. I use a dry teflon wax spray now works well in all weather. I got in 16k last year and I live in Upstate, that's above I-90, NY so that means plenty of crappy weather. All good ideas thanks. And maybe I'll get help with my chain issues.
In the mean time I'll find some 2x4's if I decide on one of those "underslung" bikes.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:51 PM   #17
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Yeah, Loobmans are less expensive but they tend to overlube the chain. I'll be putting a Scott Oiler on my 599. (The reason I want to do it is because I ride long miles in short time frames. Stopping to lube a chain is not in my plans.)

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:53 PM   #18
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Tell us how it works out for you. I was probably guilty of overlubing. It'll be interesting to hear how the applicators wear on the Scott.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:22 AM   #19
pushrod
Founding Member

Guys, don't lose sight of the fact that, as pointed out above, modern "O", "X" or whatever letter -ring chains need lubrication only to protect them from corrosion, and maybe help the life of the sprockets.

The o-rings are on the chain to >keep the chain lubricant where it belongs<, which is on the bearing surfaces. Spraying your choice of lube on the outside doesn't do anything for the chain pins.

As a matter of fact, too much lube can act as a magnet for grit, which can then wear the sprockets faster. Not to mention the mess.

FWIW, I use a Grunge Brush and WD-40 to clean my chain; and I then coat it with DuPont Dry Teflon spooge, which seems to stick like grim death, and is clear. I buy it at Lowe's.

And lastly, the single most important thing to do to maximize the life of your chain is to make sure it is tensioned properly. It also helps if the rear wheel is properly aligned.

Sorry. We haven't had an oil thread in ages... I couldn't help myself.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:30 AM   #20
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Guys, don't lose sight of the fact that, as pointed out above, modern "O", "X" or whatever letter -ring chains need lubrication only to protect them from corrosion, and maybe help the life of the sprockets.

The o-rings are on the chain to >keep the chain lubricant where it belongs<, which is on the bearing surfaces. Spraying your choice of lube on the outside doesn't do anything for the chain pins.
Well, that's the theory, anyways. I've had nothing but BAD luck with them pricey "X" and "W" -ring chains. Got nearly 28k miles from the original O-ring chain on my FZ6, and have put two of the "X"-ring chains ('cuz of availability and price) on my Hawk and the FZ6 - each has had links jam within a few-thousand miles, and are noisy as hell. I went back with O-ring on the Hawk, no problems so far whatsoever (Regina instead of D.I.D. brand). I'm about to do the same on the FZ. It needs lube almost daily now to keep from clattering-along.........

They're CrrrrrAAAP!!!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote