Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2008 BMW HP2 Sport: First Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/6992-2008-bmw-hp2-sport-first-ride.html)

Administrator 12-19-2007 11:26 AM

2008 BMW HP2 Sport: First Ride

Original Article:
2008 BMW HP2 Sport: First Ride

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2008 BMW HP2 Sport: First Ride in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

acecycleins 12-19-2007 11:48 AM

Just like my current BMW, it will take me 17yrs to afford it. I figure a $20k bike will be an affordable $4500 by then. Cool bike, though. Can't wait to see them in the FX race @ Daytona in the spring.

longride 12-20-2007 06:29 AM

If this bike comes in at 22G or a lofty 25G, that would make it essentially twice as expensive as any other liter bike out there. I'm sure it is a fine bike, but if I could have one BMW or one ZX-10 AND on Hayabusa for the same coin, I would say the Beemer comes up a bit short. These are not cruisers here. These bikes win or lose on their performance per buck, and when it's two to one in favor of everything else, I can't see why anyone would buy this bike.

seruzawa 12-20-2007 06:42 AM

Heh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 175703)
If this bike comes in at 22G or a lofty 25G, that would make it essentially twice as expensive as any other liter bike out there. I'm sure it is a fine bike, but if I could have one BMW or one ZX-10 AND on Hayabusa for the same coin, I would say the Beemer comes up a bit short. These are not cruisers here. These bikes win or lose on their performance per buck, and when it's two to one in favor of everything else, I can't see why anyone would buy this bike.

You're just asking for it aren't you?

Kenneth_Moore 12-20-2007 06:56 AM

I'm with Kirk: it will be interesting to see how this bike does at Daytona.

It's interesting; as I read the first couple of paragraphs of the article, it seemed like you could swap HD for BMW and it would be just as accurate.

What a crappy looking LCD display on the bike! Did they steal it from an old Gameboy or something? There is no excuse for that with today's LCD technology.

Nice article and photos, Pete and Fonzie! The sheer beauty of the area, combined with shearing off the pucks on the heads of that BMW at the track, must have made for quite a trip!

longride 12-20-2007 07:04 AM

"It's interesting; as I read the first couple of paragraphs of the article, it seemed like you could swap HD for BMW and it would be just as accurate."

I think the major difference, is that BMW is trying to sell a bike based on performance, and Harley does not. IMO cruiser hae nothing to do with any performace criteria, but with sportbikes, that's all they have.

sachiwilson 12-20-2007 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 175704)
You're just asking for it aren't you?

Yeah, that was definitely bait. Perhaps unintentional, but still!

Kenneth_Moore 12-20-2007 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 175708)
"It's interesting; as I read the first couple of paragraphs of the article, it seemed like you could swap HD for BMW and it would be just as accurate."

I think the major difference, is that BMW is trying to sell a bike based on performance, and Harley does not. IMO cruiser hae nothing to do with any performace criteria, but with sportbikes, that's all they have.

I see your point and agree, but the reference was more regarding the "cache" of owning a BMW, the "exclusivity," and the willingness of the buyers to "pay a premium."

longride 12-20-2007 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachiwilson (Post 175710)
Yeah, that was definitely bait. Perhaps unintentional, but still!

Sorry, but I was well within the posting rules and there is nothing you guys can do about it. :p

sachiwilson 12-20-2007 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 175708)
I think the major difference, is that BMW is trying to sell a bike based on performance, and Harley does not.

Oh absolutely not. It is quite obviously designed to appeal to people who love boxer engines (very different in feel and "soul" from an inline four or V-twin). And given the comments about riding comfort it is also, it seems to me, apparent that BMW knows that the riders it markets to will not want to suffer while riding it.

The market may not be huge but BMW will definitely use that technology in its "vanilla" (ha) offerings.