Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-10-2007, 11:28 PM   #1
InterceptorRider
Registered Member

Default 1984 Honda Interceptor VF700F Electrical Problems

The other night, my '84 Interceptor VF700F's headlight stopped working. I opened the fuse box and checked the fuses, taking them out and putting them back in, making sure that there was no dirt that came in the way of the connections. But no dice. So I parked it. The next day, I had to take it out to avoid getting a parking ticket and put it in a long-term weekday parking spot, so I had to ride it without the headlight, but I made sure I did it during the day. I happened to slip while making a turn and dropped the bike. After some nice passersby helped me pick it up, I noticed the headlight was working again. I rode it again some more, then the tach stopped working. I checked the fuses again. It didn't help, but I had to get to my destination, so I kept riding. After a while, the tach started working again, but then the tail light stopped working. I checking the fuses again, but no dice.

Does anyone know what is going on with my bike (other than the obvious fact that it is old)? How do I get the tail light to start working again (besides dropping the bike again and seeing if that'll do the trick)?
InterceptorRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2007, 06:19 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Your wiring harness is old and the connectors are likely corroded. You need to pull all the plastic connectors apart and clean them. You can get spray contact cleaner at an electronic supply place. Don't use Radio shaft. They charge exorbitant prices.

Also, you can use standard pencil erasers to clean the copper male ends before spraying. Spray the connectors, reseat and pull the connectors apart again several times while wet. Then respray once again to get off any other crud. Let them dry thoroughly and reseat them.

Also inspect the wires where they enter the connectors for frayed ends. The wires can be released from the connector if you carefully probe with a dental pick if you need to resolder one. You can also get new connectors at Home Depot, etc.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
InterceptorRider
Registered Member

Could you pls show me where to find the wiring harness and connectors? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Your wiring harness is old and the connectors are likely corroded. You need to pull all the plastic connectors apart and clean them. You can get spray contact cleaner at an electronic supply place. Don't use Radio shaft. They charge exorbitant prices.

Also, you can use standard pencil erasers to clean the copper male ends before spraying. Spray the connectors, reseat and pull the connectors apart again several times while wet. Then respray once again to get off any other crud. Let them dry thoroughly and reseat them.

Also inspect the wires where they enter the connectors for frayed ends. The wires can be released from the connector if you carefully probe with a dental pick if you need to resolder one. You can also get new connectors at Home Depot, etc.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:09 PM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterceptorRider View Post
Could you pls show me where to find the wiring harness and connectors? Thanks.
Only a dealer or junkyard would have a harness. However it is usually just the connectors that are the problem. Try cleaning the connections and inspecting for broken connections. You may have to test the wiring with an ohmmeter. You will need a wiring diagram which would be in a shop manual.

There is really no easy solution. It's gonna take rolling up your sleeves.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:04 AM   #5
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I think he means on the bike. You have to take off the tank, seat, side panels and rear section body work, It's that big bundle of wires that goes along the top frame section, every where you see a plug in connector you need to unplug it, spray with electric cleaner and smear with a little dilectric grease. It's a long tedious job but that's the way you ensure your electrical system is working it's best. Start at the tail light and work forward.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 05:54 AM   #6
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Oh, disconnect the positive wire from the battery first.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:23 AM   #7
InterceptorRider
Registered Member

thanks all. looks like a fun weekend project.

btw, it needs 1/3 choke just to idle. is this normal, i.e., for a 24 yr old bike in the winter? i'm in the northeast where it's been 0 degrees celsius recently.

if i rev it up i could close the choke and it would run ok. also it seems to run smooth, the gas seems to burn cleanly and smell normal, and there's no smoke coming from the pipes.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:26 AM   #8
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

No. Doesn't matter how old it is, that is not normal.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:59 AM   #9
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
Oh, disconnect the positive wire from the battery first.
Is this a positive ground bike? As I swivel my chair to the left in respect I believe you mispoke. I have always disconnected the negative cable first and attached that last when working on negative ground equipment.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:01 AM   #10
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterceptorRider View Post
thanks all. looks like a fun weekend project.

btw, it needs 1/3 choke just to idle. is this normal, i.e., for a 24 yr old bike in the winter? i'm in the northeast where it's been 0 degrees celsius recently.

if i rev it up i could close the choke and it would run ok. also it seems to run smooth, the gas seems to burn cleanly and smell normal, and there's no smoke coming from the pipes.
Pilot jet clogged? I've always wanted to be first to suggest this.

Last edited by sfcdjevans : 12-23-2007 at 08:02 AM. Reason: This is for you FOG.....
sfcdjevans is offline   Reply With Quote