Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-03-2007, 09:36 AM   #1
bebopredux
Registered Member

Default How'd it all start with you?

How did you get into bikes?

Me? During the summer at our camp my friend would let me ride his Trail 90 Honda on the camp roads. Another kid had a Rupp mini-bike that I thought was THE coolest thing back then, I'm talking 1967-1968. Rode a Bultaco once or twice. Hodaka a few times. Then, after returning home for the off-season, I noticed my neighbor (a cop) had boxes and boxes of old motorcycle magazines out in his driveway for the rubbish. I asked if I could have them and off I went.

I absolutely devoured every one of them. I practically memorized all I had read. CycleWorld and other mags from the mid-sixties and LOTS more including a Honda catalog that was just glorious! I became a virtual encyclopedia of those old classic bikes. I wanted a Norton or BSA when I "grew up" which I still have not (grown up that is). I really loved the Hondas of that day too. The 305, the Motosport models with the candy finishes and black pipes, the 450 Scrambler (got a nice leg burn from that). My friend's dad bought him a Bridgestone 100 2 stroke and man, we rode that thing everywhere. A real killer bee sound. Fun? You bet. I held onto those mags for years never wanting to give them up. But, the MC Jones had me. I haven't ridden in a few years and never rode as much as I wanted to. My best ride was up Route 101 from south of San Francisco to Portland, OR back in 1976. Me on my Suzuki GT 550 and my buddie on his RD400 Yamaha. Good bikes too. Nothing like today but, reliable and good enough.

I'm still a huge magazine hound. Those boxes of mags started it all. I have an old barn filled with magazines. I just can't let 'em go to this day! I'm off today but, really, when Evel Knievel passed the other day, it brought back a flood of memories. Really, if you were a kid like me back then, you wanted to be Evel and tried things on your bicycles you NEVER would have thought of otherwise.

Last edited by bebopredux : 12-03-2007 at 09:38 AM.
bebopredux is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2007, 12:55 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

When I was a little tyke back in the late 50s my Uncle Les used to give us rides on his Mustang. He took us to Ascot Park a few times for the 1/2 mile oval flattrack races and also to the scrambles down where the 91 Fwy is in LA.

I saved my paper route money and when I was 14 started working on my parents and by the time I was 15 1/2 they finally gave in through sheer exhaustion and let me get my first bike, a step through Honda Cub50. I rode the living p1ss out of the thing. Other kids were surfing but I was all over Palos Verdes/Torrance on my cub. I did every sort of mod to it I could... cut off fenders, megaphone, bored to 55, hi-comp piston.... it would do 53mph!

It's all uphill from there.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:37 PM   #3
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

My dad always had bikes around, he was a Dispatch Rider in the REME's which is the British army version of combat engineers. He used to ride Observed Trials and enduros after he got out. When I was 10 he taught me to ride on his twin pipe 250 CZ ISDT bike, he sold that and bought a Triumph Mountain Cub, then a Bultaco Matador. He got so tired of me begging rides he bought me a Hodaka Super Rat. At that time he had a shop sponsership and a 380 CZ, so he took me with and Me and him raced MX and Enduro's. When I got my license we turned the Matador into a Cafe Racer for me and he bought a 380 Yamaha MX which I raced on, I'd come home on leave from the Navy and we'd try'n hit a couple of races.

When I got out I bought a 750 Kawasaki with money I saved and started building Harleys, I rode them for awhile, then BMW's, then Japanese Sportbikes, then new Triumphs, now back to Harleys and a Bandit. I plan on riding as long as I can, wouldn't want it any other way.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:46 PM   #4
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

My older brother started me down this dark path. One ride on his Hodaka Super Rat when I was 10, and that was all she wrote. I also got to ride his Maico 250 and CZ 400 when he raced motocross back in the day. My parents hated motorcycles, and still do. They threatened to toss me out of the house if I ever got one. So one day when I was 16, I bought a used 72 Triumph Bonnie for 600 bucks. I walked in the door, and told my parents "you can throw me out now" and walked away. Been riding 40 years, and going to ride 40 more if the good Lord is willing!
Old 12-03-2007, 03:49 PM   #5
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Divorce.

BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:54 PM   #6
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
Divorce.

Usually a good start for just about anything!
Old 12-04-2007, 06:58 AM   #7
findangle
Founding Member

lost a friend who didn't get to do everything on his list before he kicked it.. figured i owed it to him to work on my list at that point.. so i bought the first bike i could afford and went to town.

funny thing is if he ever saw me on a bike he'd probably beat me bloody.
findangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:24 AM   #8
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

One O' them 5hp B&S-powered 6"-dia.-tired "mini-bikes" with no real brakes and geared to the moon.

My God, I think that deathtrap is still over at my Dad's in a shed - I should prolly dig it out, clean it and tune it, then give it to some kid..............
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:44 AM   #9
V2Rider
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
One O' them 5hp B&S-powered 6"-dia.-tired "mini-bikes" with no real brakes and geared to the moon.
Lower the HP to 3.5 and add an extended front end and I'm there. After assorted dirt bikes I bought my first street bike, a new 1977 Yamaha XS650.

My first ride was when I was 6 on my Uncle Al's '65 CH. Been a Harley fan ever since.

Last edited by V2Rider : 12-04-2007 at 07:54 AM.
V2Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:48 AM   #10
vermicious
Registered Member

My uncle was a dyed in the wool old school "biker". Viking beard, long hair, mean disposition, friends of questionable employ who always seemed to be relating a story of pointless violence... I lived with him at ages 5-8. He rode all year round, regardless of the weather, and often with me on the back. I've had an obsession with motorcycles ever since. I suppose being able to jump off the back of his Harley out in front of my elementary school while my first grade buddies looked on in open-mouthed envy might have helped.

Last edited by vermicious : 12-04-2007 at 11:58 AM. Reason: readability
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote