Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   How'd it all start with you? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/6826-howd-all-start-you.html)

2wheeldreamer 12-05-2007 02:25 PM

So we were riding our bicycles as fast as we could down the hill, the idea was to jump off and see how far the bikes would go before they fell over. I was 10, then we found out about motorcycles. I was 13 when I rode my first dirt bike. I was hooked. Bought a 305 Honda scrambler for two hundred bucks, got it running and at 15 had my first wreck. I lost control turning around on some wet grass and slid into the back of a car parked in a garage. That was 38 years ago a lot of bikes and stories,ride 2003 Fat Boy now and just picked up a new DRZ 400SM for the bad weather, it has been a blast.

trenttheuncatchable 12-06-2007 09:39 AM

I wasn't lucky enough to grow up with motorcycles. I remember walking into a Kawasaki dealership a long time ago on a whim and checking out bikes, but there was no where close where I could take the MSF course (or whatever it's equivalent was in those days), so I put it (riding) on the back burner.

What got me going again was the price of gasoline; I wanted to spend less money on fuel, so I took the MSF course. Now I'm hooked, and if there's no motorcycle waiting for me in my garage then something's wrong. Luckily I have more than one. Which makes perfect sense (to me) because it means I always have a ride even if one of them is getting serviced.

longride 12-06-2007 09:41 AM

At which point in the learning curve did you become uncatchable? THAT is what we really want to know from you!

trenttheuncatchable 12-06-2007 09:51 AM

I'm actually not (uncatchable). I'll even let you catch up or pass me on my Blackbird with your car if you decide to go 15-20 mph over the speed limit on the road (well, most of the time). Trent the Uncatchable is the main character in a sci-fi novel called The Long Run (not the longride) by Daniel Keys Moran.

acecycleins 12-06-2007 09:55 AM

I never got to own mini bikes or go karts as a kid so my riding experience started in 1981 when I work for the only full-service gas station in Peachtree City GA. A customer brought his 78 Suzuki GS 850 (i think) to the place to sell (common to put your motorized vehicles up for sale with the local mechanic when you lived in the sticks). I remember one Sunday being so slow at the gas station that I hopped on the bike and taught myself how to ride around town. No helmet, no license (I was 15) but a willingness to try. It was a great time. Did the owner of the bike know- h3ll no. Did the gas station owner know- double h3ll no. Was I ever in danger of wrecking a bike I didn't own- h3ll yes. I was great. Sometimes you gotta miss those days of irresponsibility.

longride 12-06-2007 10:05 AM

Well that answers that.

seruzawa 12-06-2007 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable (Post 174643)
I'm actually not (uncatchable). I'll even let you catch up or pass me on my Blackbird with your car if you decide to go 15-20 mph over the speed limit on the road (well, most of the time). Trent the Uncatchable is the main character in a sci-fi novel called The Long Run (not the longride) by Daniel Keys Moran.

Good novel. I kept it in my library.

Kenneth_Moore 12-06-2007 10:33 AM

When I was in 7th grade in Miami, there was an older kid who hung out with us who had a Honda 100. He would let me ride it, and every chance I got, I rode it all over the neighborhood. That was many years ago ('68, I guess) but "I remember it like it was yesterday." I borrowed various bikes whenever I could until I was a Junior in High School. I had an Austin Healy Sprite that I bought with my summer job money. One day a guy on the street said he'd trade me his almost new Yamaha RD350 for it. After a huge argument with my folks, I went and got the bike. After that I had a Honda CB550 I rode from Cocoa Beach to Orlando every day to attend college. That was followed by a very long break until I got my HD in '92. Like my buddy Les said when he bought my Concours: "I should never have gone so long without a bike!"