Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   How'd it all start with you? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/6826-howd-all-start-you.html)

Gluge 12-04-2007 11:53 AM

My father raced dirt bikes back in texas in the 70's. He got me a bike when I was about 8. Little 80cc honda dirt bike, dual rear shocks, metal tank.

Three years ago at age 23 after living in LA for 2 years I decided I wanted a street bike. Got a EX500, rode it up to laguna seca for the 2005 motoGP race a month latter. Four months latter I went to my first track day with it. One month after than I bought a 125 GP bike and went to willow for my first race.

Took me 15 years to go from a dirt bike to a street bike, but only 6 months to go from a street bike to a race bike heh. EX500 died recently so I bought a RS250 as my new street bike.

12er 12-04-2007 03:00 PM

Well at 4 I learned to ride a bicycle. Guess that was qualification enough for my father to get my eldest brothers old mini bike working again. Shortly there after I was twisting the grip on an old Bonanza long frame with a 4 hp BnS and no brakes. That thing would run off and leave my buddies honda mini trail 50's. As I grew so did my dirt bikes, 4hp, 60cc, 175, 250, 480. Once I got my Drivers License I was going to buy a street bike and my parental units freaked out. Made no sense to me, but their home, their rules. Once out of the nest, I bought a KLR 650 and thus my street bike life started. 60,000 miles later I'm more hooked than ever.

mscuddy 12-04-2007 03:24 PM

It was a dark and stromy night...

My Uncle (who was more like a big brother) rode dirt bikes, and use to take me riding with his buddies back in the early 1970's. I started in 1968 at around age ten on a Flexo mini-bike with a cast iron 2 & 1/2 HP Briggs. That started an obsession with motorcycles that is still going, despite being paralyzed. Looking back, I've owned or ridden about everything, my favorite bike being my old 1976 JPR 360 Pursang. Still dream about riding it.

The_AirHawk 12-04-2007 03:31 PM

Man, we have GOT to do something to get you back on the road again. If you were given a choice, would you prefer one O' them three-wheeled moto-thingies, or a Sidehack?

vermicious 12-04-2007 03:32 PM

I think he should go cyborg.

mscuddy 12-04-2007 03:57 PM

"Man, we have GOT to do something to get you back on the road again. If you were given a choice, would you prefer one O' them three-wheeled moto-thingies, or a Sidehack?"

Thanks Air, I mean Mr. Hawk...

A sidehack. I was supposed to look at a Chang Jiang a month or so ago, but the vendor bugged out on me. They have a hand clutch/hand shift on the sidehack models. Shifter's on the right side, behind the seat. But at the moment I'm fighting the DMV to give me my license back (they suspended it for canceling the insurance on my City X that got totaled & bought back by Geico). Idiots.

Gluge 12-04-2007 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 174447)
Man, we have GOT to do something to get you back on the road again. If you were given a choice, would you prefer one O' them three-wheeled moto-thingies, or a Sidehack?

My work mate knows a guy who takes modern sportbikes makes a side car for them then moves all the controls to the side car - he has done this for a guy around here that is paralyzed so he can operate the sport bike from the side car.

I'm sure it can be done on other bikes too.

If it was me though I'd get one of those new Piaggo 3-wheel scooters that leans and rig that up.. should be possible right?

mscuddy 12-04-2007 04:38 PM

"If it was me though I'd get one of those new Piaggo 3-wheel scooters that leans and rig that up.. should be possible right?"

I was thinking the same thing with the Piaggio deal. The driving from the sidecar thing doesn't do much for me, why not just buy a convertable sports car? A guy in my support group has logged over 100,000 miles on a BMW sidehack rig. You just need a gigantic seat made for paras and I can sit in the saddle like the old days (velcro my feet to the floorboards). Stick my compact ti wheelchair in the hack.

That's some kinda animation you got going there...

sarnali2 12-04-2007 06:58 PM

Two words Brah...Ural Patrol... even though they are steaming commie tirds from the festering bunghole of satan that is the Soviet Union (they're not fooling me) they are the neatest thing since pepperjack cheese on toast and a few pints of Guinness...

Cheap too...

Gluge 12-04-2007 07:17 PM

Motorcycle doesn't seem like it's a motorcycle if it doesn't lean. I say go for the Piaggio !

If you want a neat three wheeler... try one of these -
http://www.britishcarweek.org/dybcw_05e.jpg