Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-03-2007, 08:58 AM   #61
wallace666
Registered Member

You liked the B-King, oh my god what a tird that thing is. Looks like LSD inspired origami. Shows how different we all are, I would be embarrased to ride a B-King, you'd be embarrassed to ride a Raider. At least we have all these choices.............more the better!
wallace666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2007, 09:08 AM   #62
seruzawa
The Toad

Default I've solved my own...

... personal dilemma about looks vs performance by not bothering with cruisers at all. Nothing bores me more than riding slowly with about 200 other people who can't get around a turn without scraping their floorboards and weaving all over the road. 700+ pounds of wallowing excess. All patriots with drag pipes, unscuffed leathers and no DD214s either. No thanks. I've already spent enough of my life piloting gunboats.

Well maybe "Survivor" bores me more but it's close.

To me the arguments about cruiser performance are about as entertaining as arguments about whether Civics are faster than Sentras. All are hopeless slugs. Who cares which is the least slow? Not me.

Hey, but whatever turns ya on. Go for it. I like a nice relaxing putt too from time to time. Not enough to waste even the relatively "cheap" $13K on a chrome barge. I used to "get it". I guess I lost it. (pun intended)
Old 12-03-2007, 09:20 AM   #63
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Jumbo Shrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace666 View Post
You liked the B-King, oh my god what a tird that thing is. Looks like LSD inspired origami. Shows how different we all are, I would be embarrased to ride a B-King, you'd be embarrassed to ride a Raider. At least we have all these choices.............more the better!
I'd like to point out that my dislike for the Raider has nothing to do with a bias toward HD. I think the VRod is BFU too. To me, the Raider looks exactly like the moniker MO came up with: "Mainstream Chopper."

BTW: I ride what may be one of the ugliest bikes on the road to most people. But in my bike's case, form follows function. The Raider is all about function following form.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:38 AM   #64
wallace666
Registered Member

Exactly, you said that well with no tird flinging, heheh! That's exactly where I was with cruiser ownership. It was simply too boring to continue. I rode the Raider, it wasn't for me and how I like to ride. I rode the Roadliner because the girl at the test ride desk offered, I had absolutely no interest but was curious about all the hype. It is nothing like what you think a cruiser is! It actually handles damn good in the twisties, runs excellent, I have never felt a cruiser pull that hard and smooth, it was arm stretching! The brakes are killer, fuel injection is perfect, I was amazed. It's a whole new gig, it actually makes cruisers a viable choice again. Best of both worlds. I'm still not ready to take the plunge yet to cruiserdome, I have a few more years to go with my current bike, when the time comes to mellow out and get a lower seat height, the choice is clear. With bikes like these it's not a huge compromise anymore.

One other thing, the Raider rear suspension was a little choppy. The Roadliner was spot on, firm for the corners but nice and smooth over hard edges bumps and mid corner chop, no wallowing. It's really weird to be talking about cruisers in this way, but some are getting so good that you actually talk about positive handling characteristics and the like. Good stuff...
Old 12-03-2007, 10:02 AM   #65
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Cruisers handle like shyt dude. All of them. I know it only took you 27 years to figure out Harleys were slower than Japanese bikes, but don't let it take you another 27 years to figure out that a 750 lb barge handles poorly. Give it a rest already. None of us started riding yesterday, and I have owned at least 12 sportbikes in my life, so I know a little bit about brakes, handling, and power. My Hayabusa taught me everything I needed to know, and it was only 10 grand to boot.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:29 AM   #66
wallace666
Registered Member

I understand Kenneth, I'm currently an owner of a 2005 DL1000. I call it the ardvark of motorcycles. But it is the swiss army knife of bikes. It can do it all and plays many roles. In the instance of the Vstroms, you have some Beemer guys calling it a wannabe GS. I could have bought a GS, But for 2-1/2 times the price of the Strom the GS isn't worth the bucks(to me), unless you absolutely have to have a "Beemer".

For me the Yami Roadliner has nothing to do with HD vs Jap battle, it's just a good bike that performs on a higher level than anything else offered. The arguments will always be there though. Some people have to have what's chic and "in", some don't.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:55 AM   #67
anrajala
Founding Member

Hmmmm... We are not talking about some cruiser slightly bettering HD in the grunt department, like it was only few years ago. We are talking about every respectable cruiser manufacturer througly waxing the butt of Harley. 43% more torque equals to total annihilation. Absolute humiliation. It never was this bad.

If HD wants to keep the lustre on the badge (which, ominiously, started to peel off in this comparo) it has to start doing some engineering. It loses all the comparos so bad that a Harley rider starts to look a bit of a clown.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:03 AM   #68
anrajala
Founding Member

>serious motorcyclists will stay away in droves.

Hmmmm... so instead, serious motorcyclists will choose a bike with the lamest engine, losing all the tests? I think we need to redefine "serious"

- cruiz-euro
Old 12-03-2007, 11:09 AM   #69
wallace666
Registered Member

I'll rest when you do. Like I said, ride a Roadliner, for that type of bike class(cruiser), it's the standard now. It's impressive, it took the Japs to make it all happen. They broke the traditional mold and are leading the way. HD is getting smarter, the VRod was a signal of change in-house, the Buells moving to the Rotax engine is another sign. But as long as there are people willing to buy under powered and braked traditional cruisers for exorbitant prices, the market will dictate that they be built. Those numbers are dwindling as evidenced by the recent plant stoppage at HD, and with the economic problems of the country the market is now saturated with HD's. Now the yuppies are dying off and the new generations aren't as interested in the traditional inferior products regardless of branding. Time will tell what happens? Even a long time HD loyalist like me has thrown in the towel, there's just better bikes out there in that class, with the added benefit of cost savings. HD will survive, changes are already being made to keep up with the changing market. Soon HD will look just like a Japanese company, bikes and all, it's all about survival and market share. I doubt they would ever totally eliminate having a few traditional air cooleds in their line up.

One final thing, yes a 750 pound bike is just that, and it's expect to be a giant ill handling barge. In this market segment you are wanting and buying a large bike, it's why your there. BUT, someone has built one that doesn't handle poorly, it actually handles damn good(for this segment), and they put a super powerful engine in it that makes the bike feel like 500lbs and brakes that stop like it weighs 400lbs. It's here, it works and we don't have to put up with that old traditional expensive bullsh*t anymore.

Busa is a cool bike, but in the mountains a guy on a GSXR750 or R1 would call it a barge, same way a Harley is a barge as compared to the Roadliner in the handling/stopping department.

Actually, the Yami 113 cube engine is like the Busa of cruisers................
Old 12-03-2007, 11:18 AM   #70
anrajala
Founding Member

>so I know a little bit about brakes, handling, and power

That must be a knucklehead right there on that picture then

- cruiz-euro