Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 01-28-2008, 02:14 PM   #471
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
Nope, I don't work for Yamaha. I own three bikes now - an 04 Honda VFR, 07 Yamaha FJR and now an 08 Raider. I guess you can say I am predisposed to Japanese bikes, but I have for the first time been actually looking at Harley's with increased interest. I've been very impressed with their Night Rod with the 240 rear, Buell with Rotax engine and now the Rocker. I live in Franklin, TN and visited Harley of Cool Springs. Bottom line, Harley still has work to do if they want my hard-earned buck! I think Yamaha and Suzuki are doing the coolest stuff right now on the Japanese side. Even though the M109R is a little too Buck Rogers for me, I respect their effort. Honda hasn't launched a new or interesting product in forever - I used to be a Honda nut, but no longer.

Best,
Michael
Prices depend on locale too. In some areas HD is offering deals on some bikes for the first time in decades. You probably live where the idiots are still dumb enough to pay over MSRP or the crooks wouldn't ask for it.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2008, 02:50 PM   #472
Infinity
Registered Member

Funny thing is last year before I settled on the FJR I actually looked at a Night Rod (yes I know they are very different bikes, but that's how my brain works sometimes!) when they first came out and it was a similar story. The bike is drop-dead gorgeous. I just got a bad taste in my mouth when they want to charge me more than sticker, and then thousands on top of that in freight and setup. Here let me bend over Mr. Harley sales guy! Tax is nearly 10% in Tennessee, so the numbers add up pretty fast round here. In addition, I have many friends who ride Harleys and they say the service at this dealership is barely adequate. So why, I ask myself, should I pay so much more for a Harley? Hey, I don't knock anyone for valuing what the brand stands for and I even "get it" and agree it's worthy of a premium. But add the size of that premium and compromised service and it just rubs me the wrong way. I think the Rocker is a really slick execution of the mainstream chopper concept, and a hands-down style winner among the three bikes tested here. But I saved $10,000 in transaction price real-world dollars! That's a lot of premium gasoline even at $3+ a gallon.

Best,
Michael
Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:26 PM   #473
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

IKNOWWE'RENOTSUPPOSEDTOTALKABOUTTHEBLOODYMOLEBUTTH ERE'STHEBLOODYMOLESTARINGMERIGHTINTHEBLOODYFACE... ..................!! (clamps hand over mouth suddenly)
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:23 PM   #474
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

The key to buying a Harley is to find a low mile reasonably priced used one, admitidly it can be tuff to do but perserverance pays off.

As far as dealer service goes, f*ck 'em do it yourself or find an independent.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote