Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-20-2007, 03:57 PM   #441
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Something that sells Harleys is the fact that Harley will finance anyone with a pulse and a downpayment.

It is sometimes difficult to get financing for a Japanese cruiser, and that's because it's a toy. If you get in financial trouble the first payment you will stop making is your toy payment and the finance companies know it.

It's different with a Harley. If the bike gets repo'ed you have not only lost your motorcycle, but YOUR WHOLE IDENTITY. Can't wear an HD shirt and drive a truck with a big bar & shield logo in the back window if you don't have a bike, now can you? The HD rider will make his bike payment FIRST and worry about what he's gonna eat later.

Please holster your weapon! LOL
Yoostabee. They had the Delta program. If you could show 5 years at the same job, or owned a house for 5 years, they'd finance you regardless of credit score. You did have to have a little income, but it's amazing what a motivated saleshole can do with MS Word to produce paycheck stubs etc. My HD pals tell me the gates are closed, at least for now. You have to have credit to get credit.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-20-2007, 04:33 PM   #442
saddlebag
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermicious View Post
Which is why I unloaded my Harley Roadglide. I find a lighter more nimble bike a lot easier to deal with over-all. Having said that, the Roadglide made a terrific long distance highway cruiser -- the fairing was great (even though it bisected my view of the road at times) and the seat was comfortable. It was also a very attractive bike. But all-in-all I'm happier with my naked than I ever was with any of my cruisers... Just a matter of personal tastes.
I've owned more standards (UJMs) than any other type of bike, so I know where you're coming from. Unfortunately, it's hard to find them in twins these days. The VX800 was my last. My last standard 4 banger was a ZRX1200. While it was a great bike, it's just too much like the FJR.

I've never been a steak and potato guy; put a small helping of everything on my plate thank you very much...
saddlebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:09 PM   #443
Gluge
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
-
For the most part they handle fine as long as they are ridden as they are intended to be. Can you haul ass in turns? No, but that isn't the point of cruisers. Are they heavier handling than sport bikes, standards, DPs, etc.? Yes. But again, cruisers are bigger and a lot heavier and aren't meant to be thrown around. These bikes will never be ridden on a track.
the closest thing I have ridden would probably be the FJR1300. Do they handle as well as an FJR ?
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:02 PM   #444
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I would say no as an FJR is far more sport oriented than a cruiser will ever be. I've never ridden an FJR (sat on one), but an FJR is a completely different bike. Shorter wheelbase, far greater lean angle, different ergonomics. But, again, you are trying to compare a sportier bike to a cruiser.

I guess, maybe a good example would be comparing sports cars with a 4 wheel drive pickup truck. Sure, you can get the pickup with some good horse power and great torque and it will even handle pretty well, but you will never get a 4 wheel drive pickup to handle like a sports car. It won't corner like a sports car and it would be pretty tough to get the zero-60 to be that of a sports car. Does it mean it handles poorly? No, not if you use it within its intended purpose.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:55 PM   #445
Gluge
Registered Member

Quote:
I would say no as an FJR is far more sport oriented than a cruiser will ever be. I've never ridden an FJR (sat on one), but an FJR is a completely different bike. Shorter wheelbase, far greater lean angle, different ergonomics. But, again, you are trying to compare a sportier bike to a cruiser.

I guess, maybe a good example would be comparing sports cars with a 4 wheel drive pickup truck. Sure, you can get the pickup with some good horse power and great torque and it will even handle pretty well, but you will never get a 4 wheel drive pickup to handle like a sports car. It won't corner like a sports car and it would be pretty tough to get the zero-60 to be that of a sports car. Does it mean it handles poorly? No, not if you use it within its intended purpose.
Yes I was trying to compare them because in your previous post you made them sound sort of similar in egos comfort level wise, and they seem like a viable alternative to cruiser, if not the FJR at least the goldwing or something similar.

If someone asked me to compare a sports car and a truck I would say the truck handles poorly compare the car, and if the truck hand no upsides other than different looks I would strongly recommend the car. Obviously the truck does have more upsides though.

That's why I've been asking about cruisers the consensuses seems to be you sacrifice a lot of power and handling over the closest alternatives. What do you get? looks?

Not that I'm not saying looks aren't enough! I love a beautiful car even if it is worse in other ways. It just depends on how much better I think it looks and how much it sacrifices in other ways.
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Old 12-21-2007, 06:28 AM   #446
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluge View Post
Yes I was trying to compare them because in your previous post you made them sound sort of similar in egos comfort level wise, and they seem like a viable alternative to cruiser, if not the FJR at least the goldwing or something similar.

If someone asked me to compare a sports car and a truck I would say the truck handles poorly compare the car, and if the truck hand no upsides other than different looks I would strongly recommend the car. Obviously the truck does have more upsides though.

That's why I've been asking about cruisers the consensuses seems to be you sacrifice a lot of power and handling over the closest alternatives. What do you get? looks?

Not that I'm not saying looks aren't enough! I love a beautiful car even if it is worse in other ways. It just depends on how much better I think it looks and how much it sacrifices in other ways.
You should probably just stop trying to figure it out. People buy them because it's fun for them. When you are limited to 55mph and all the roads are straight and don't allow no passing and the speeding penalties mean your bike gets impounded..... that 140hp don't mean squat. What difference does it make anyhow? Does someone riding a cruiser cause you to have a seizure or something?

I'm not trying to start a fight here, it just seems ridiculous to worry so much about what someone else is riding.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:42 AM   #447
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

All right, I'm done. I gave you well thought out explanations as to why someone would buy a cruiser. If it's not for you, than it's not for you. For me, I like all bikes and that includes cruisers. I also find cruiser more usable than something like 600 or liter sportbike.

If you pose the question; why would you sacrfice so much when buying a cruiser, wouldn't it also be a huge sacrifice to buy a 600 or liter bike for purely street use?
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:58 PM   #448
Gluge
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
You should probably just stop trying to figure it out. People buy them because it's fun for them. When you are limited to 55mph and all the roads are straight and don't allow no passing and the speeding penalties mean your bike gets impounded..... that 140hp don't mean squat. What difference does it make anyhow? Does someone riding a cruiser cause you to have a seizure or something?

I'm not trying to start a fight here, it just seems ridiculous to worry so much about what someone else is riding.

I'd never ridden one and none of my friends have one. Since they sell so well I thought I might be missing some aspect of them and was curious why so many people buy them.

Just seemed like the time and place to ask.

I think 140 hpr isn't needed on the street either though. When my friend bought his 2002 GSXR-750 with a chip etc. I asked him "What are you going to use 140 hpr for?" I asked him recently "So how often do you really open the throttle all the way in the power band?"

At least I got him into some track days so he can use it all there
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Old 12-21-2007, 02:12 PM   #449
Gluge
Registered Member

Quote:
If you pose the question; why would you sacrfice so much when buying a cruiser, wouldn't it also be a huge sacrifice to buy a 600 or liter bike for purely street use?
Yes it definitely is some what of a sacrifice, but are getting something back for it. You sacrifice comfort, good passenger comfort, and luggage options. However for that you get a bike with great handling, brakes, power, etc. Of course compared to a lot of standards the handling, power, brakes, etc. are really only a bit better.

Still they can make sense for the street especially with some easy modifications, raise the clipons, add a tail trunk, and lower the passenger pegs.

They make good canyon bikes and good bikes for short commutes with a lot of lane splitting because they're quite narrow.

Of course I do think it's a little silly to get a all out sportbike and never take it to the track. And I know a lot of people probably just get them for their 'sport'. In the end everything is a sacrifice I was just curious about the upsides of cruisers. Thank you for the info.
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Old 12-21-2007, 09:18 PM   #450
pplassm
Founding Member

Ok, Knock It Off!!!!

This Thread Has Become Much Too Civil.

I Command You To Start Bickering Again!!!!