Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-19-2007, 08:24 PM   #431
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

-Ok, here are my reasons for liking cruiser: Because I do. It's that simple. I like Harleys because they have the whole "industrial retro" design done better than any other cruiser bike manufacturer, second to that would be Victory, after that would be Yamaha. Dead last would be Honda because their cruiser designs seem to be too thick and plastic looking.

The above statement can not be argued because it will not change my mind. These are my opinions and reasoning for liking a certain product more than the others. Do I own a Harley? No. I'm a cheap bastard and buy used bikes for less than any of these three bikes that were reviewed.

Why do I enjoy cruisers; because I like the relaxed riding position and the general easy going ride. But I also like standards, DPs, motards, sport-touring bikes, dirt bikes, sport bikes, scooters, and anything else with two wheels and a motor no matter what brand it is or how many CCs it has.

As baffling as it is for you to understand why people like cruiser, it is just as baffling to me as to why you don't like a certain type of motorcycle.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-19-2007, 08:32 PM   #432
wallace666
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
We gotta lot of things in common us MOrons, the love of two wheeled vehicles being the No.1 thing that binds us. Now you can prattle on about HD riders, metric riders, scooter riders, et.al. until you're blue in the face. But when you start making wide generalizations like the ones you just spewed out, it only makes you look uninformed and stoopid. A motorcycle is a motorcycle, not too dificult to understad, eh? Wally sign-of-the beast?
Well Miss Cuddy, you truly are the voice of reason, I have seen the light and I will climb up out of the abyss! I now, being of sound mind and body apologize to all me motorcycle brethren, we are one and all the same. Please accept my heart felt apology, and forgive my indiscretions.

Ummm, I'd also like to say at this time, that if them Harley guys attack me again in response to my earlier post, the post that I have apologized for, my keyboard once again will deliver fire and brimstone, them guys sling shyt but can't take shyt. Bunch of crybabies! Although me and Longride was gettin along so he ain't included....
wallace666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:15 PM   #433
Gluge
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
-Ok, here are my reasons for liking cruiser: Because I do. It's that simple. I like Harleys because they have the whole "industrial retro" design done better than any other cruiser bike manufacturer, second to that would be Victory, after that would be Yamaha. Dead last would be Honda because their cruiser designs seem to be too thick and plastic looking.

The above statement can not be argued because it will not change my mind. These are my opinions and reasoning for liking a certain product more than the others. Do I own a Harley? No. I'm a cheap bastard and buy used bikes for less than any of these three bikes that were reviewed.
Cool, Yea I knew looks was one of them. Nice info with the ranking though. I too am too cheap to buy new, at least so far.

Quote:
Why do I enjoy cruisers; because I like the relaxed riding position and the general easy going ride. But I also like standards, DPs, motards, sport-touring bikes, dirt bikes, sport bikes, scooters, and anything else with two wheels and a motor no matter what brand it is or how many CCs it has.
Do you find the riding position more comfortable than a standard position? Or say a FJR with 2" or so bar risers? Or a goldwing? Just curious because I always assumed bikes like the FJR and goldwing etc. had the most comfortable riding position.

Quote:
As baffling as it is for you to understand why people like cruiser, it is just as baffling to me as to why you don't like a certain type of motorcycle.
I haven't ever ridden one that's was why I was wondering what the appeal was. Personal for me the number one thing I like most in a bike is effortless handling, power, looks, price etc. all come after that. In reading the reviews I got the impression cruisers aren't very good in the handling department that's why I've never really personally considered one. I don't think I ever said I don't like them though I think I did say I wouldn't ever consider buying any in this review.

I do want to ride one and will gladly hop on the first chance I get though.

I started asking why people got them because there was so much talk about how they all handle poorly and they all don't make good power so what's the point in comparing them in those categories... etc.

Thank you very much though for your polite response!
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:28 AM   #434
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluge View Post
Do you find the riding position more comfortable than a standard position? Or say a FJR with 2" or so bar risers? Or a goldwing? Just curious because I always assumed bikes like the FJR and goldwing etc. had the most comfortable riding position.
-For me? A gold wing and a cruiser are no different. The ergos are essentially the same as a Harley touring rig for me, though I've ridden neither. If I were to buy a bike for touring/long distance rides, I would go with a sport touring bike like an FJR or a Sprint ST or just stick with a standard cruiser and slap a windshield and bags on it. The FJR riding position for me works fine even without bar risers. Foot pegs for the most part aren't a concern as long as they aren't too tight as being 6'1" things can get a little cramped after a certain point.

Quote:
In reading the reviews I got the impression cruisers aren't very good in the handling department that's why I've never really personally considered one.
For the most part they handle fine as long as they are ridden as they are intended to be. Can you haul ass in turns? No, but that isn't the point of cruisers. Are they heavier handling than sport bikes, standards, DPs, etc.? Yes. But again, cruisers are bigger and a lot heavier and aren't meant to be thrown around. These bikes will never be ridden on a track.

Last edited by BrowningBAR : 12-20-2007 at 04:29 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:39 AM   #435
pplassm
Founding Member

Aaah. Glad to see peace and harmony has come back to this thread.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:53 AM   #436
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Aaah. Glad to see peace and harmony has come back to this thread.
...Filthy, filthy liar.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:24 AM   #437
saddlebag
Registered Member

Quote:
It depends on the bike, but yes. For low speed doddling about, croozers can be quite comfy.

Peter Eagan (Cycleworld) penned a piece a while back about which bikes of his get the most use. And it turned out that it wasn't the most exotic or the fastest, but the ones that required the least effort to use. Even simple things like rolling them around the garage come into play.

I have an FJR and by no means is my Warrior anywhere near as capable of doing week long all day MC trips racing around the mountain sides. OTOH, when it's 75°F out and I just want to enjoy a nice sunset putt through the country, I greatly prefer the old school feel of a few vibes and some wind in my face to the more sterilized experience of the sport tourer.

I can appreciate some peoples desire for the bling, but I just kinda dig the lumpy nature of the beasts. My wife likens them to riding on the antique cars at the amusement park. Maybe not the highlight of the amusement park experience, but not a bad way to unwind a little between battling the monster rollercoasters either.
saddlebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:20 AM   #438
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I find my Harley is the most comfortable for me. With the forward controls and ape hangers it's basically the same position as driving a car. It's fine for anything under 100, since I rarely go faster than that it's no problem.

My Trophy with the Corbin Canyon Duel seat and Genmar risers was an excellent fit too but it cramped my knees after a few hours, as does the Bandit. Arthritis and a few car accidents tends to inhibit your flexability after awhile you see. That's why the feet forward position works for me. As to why Harley over the Japanese bikes, I just like them thats all. I like the look and feel and the performance is adequate for my needs, pretty simple when it all comes down to it.....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:03 AM   #439
Larry
Founding Member

Default Another factor

Something that sells Harleys is the fact that Harley will finance anyone with a pulse and a downpayment.

It is sometimes difficult to get financing for a Japanese cruiser, and that's because it's a toy. If you get in financial trouble the first payment you will stop making is your toy payment and the finance companies know it.

It's different with a Harley. If the bike gets repo'ed you have not only lost your motorcycle, but YOUR WHOLE IDENTITY. Can't wear an HD shirt and drive a truck with a big bar & shield logo in the back window if you don't have a bike, now can you? The HD rider will make his bike payment FIRST and worry about what he's gonna eat later.

Please holster your weapon! LOL
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:19 PM   #440
vermicious
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
And it turned out that it wasn't the most exotic or the fastest, but the ones that required the least effort to use.
Which is why I unloaded my Harley Roadglide. I find a lighter more nimble bike a lot easier to deal with over-all. Having said that, the Roadglide made a terrific long distance highway cruiser -- the fairing was great (even though it bisected my view of the road at times) and the seat was comfortable. It was also a very attractive bike. But all-in-all I'm happier with my naked than I ever was with any of my cruisers... Just a matter of personal tastes.
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote