Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-16-2007, 06:23 PM   #421
Gluge
Registered Member

I think I finally know the answer to the question I had:

"Why will so many more people buy the harley in this shoot out over the yamaha, even knowing the yamaha is the better bike (possible exception for looks) and $8k cheaper?"

The only real reason people buy cruisers is for the image. Part of that image is the fact that it's a harley. If the only reason your buying a bike is the image you won't care about better brakes, suspension, handling, power etc. if it doesn't do as well in the image department by a lack of a harley badge.

That and looks are the only reasons I've come up with (oh and all the accessories they have, which is sort of part of both the other reasons).

Any other real reasons I'm missing? Just curious.
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-16-2007, 06:54 PM   #422
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluge View Post
The only real reason people buy cruisers is for the image.
How would you know? It's also true of of most race replica buyers since those bikes are even worse for real world riding than cruisers. You really are in a glass house here. Of course you are too narcissistic to ever self-inspect.

Why should you care why anyone else buys a cruiser or anything else for that matter? I've decided that you are just too narrowminded to see that your choice is no more rational than anyone else's. So, find some other site to spam with your nonsense. You need people like yourself who are insecure and need to put down other people in order to yourselves feel better.

Your claims that you are trying to "understand" are pure trolling bullshyt. Maybe you can find someone else to sucker into another circular debate. I suggest you try kavenger at CW. You two should get along real well. Add anrajala and wallace666 and you 4 guys can have a circle jerk.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:28 PM   #423
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default The following Opinion has been Sponsored by Woolite:

Not Mine! - I lovingly handwash, pat dry, and then powder and perfume each and every one of MY Opinions before gently and tenderly offering them up on this forum for the perusal and mass-edification of all the constituents of MO.

So take that and blow it out yer arse!!!!

Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 12-16-2007 at 09:58 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:12 PM   #424
Gluge
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
How would you know? It's also true of of most race replica buyers since those bikes are even worse for real world riding than cruisers. You really are in a glass house here. Of course you are too narcissistic to ever self-inspect.
I know because I asked a few cruiser riders. Yes some sportbike / race replica buyers also just get those for the image. Of the sportbike riders I know though only one got it just for the image. The others all either race or do track days regularly. Probably just the people I know though, I'm sure normally it's a much higher % of image sportbike riders.

While they're not as practical as others for touring or even around town they're quite practical for twisty roads, the track and they're nice and narrow for lane splitting. Of all the bikes I've ridden I'd say my old EX500 was most practical for my riding. FJR1300 was nice but I commute to work every day and it was a bit wide for lane splitting.

Quote:
Why should you care why anyone else buys a cruiser or anything else for that matter? I've decided that you are just too narrowminded to see that your choice is no more rational than anyone else's. So, find some other site to spam with your nonsense. You need people like yourself who are insecure and need to put down other people in order to yourselves feel better.
I was curious. I wasn't aruging about why people should get a sport bike if you noticed I NEVER suggested that. All my questions were about why people would get the harley over the yamaha in this shoot out. I don't have a yamaha and if I ever own a harley it will be a classic 60's one.

Quote:
Your claims that you are trying to "understand" are pure trolling bullshyt. Maybe you can find someone else to sucker into another circular debate. I suggest you try kavenger at CW. You two should get along real well. Add anrajala and wallace666 and you 4 guys can have a circle jerk.
Nice... have a hard day or something?
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Old 12-17-2007, 01:10 AM   #425
anrajala
Founding Member

Tsk tsk Seruzawa. Here we go on personal attack mode again. What are we, first graders? If I read Gluge’s comment above he is just presenting his theory in calm and reasonable manner. If you don’t agree with it, just say so - and hopefully present your own theory.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:06 AM   #426
saddlebag
Registered Member

Quote:
What part of "Harley has ALWAYS been down on power and handling since the 50's" is so hard to understand? Ducatis are "down on power" compared to I-4s yet Duck doesn't get laid into in any fashion like HD does.
Maybe their heritage of satisfying race results has something to do with that?

Quote:
How about the Japanese getting away with terrible sales figures on cruisers? Why doesn't THAT upset their fan base?
Where have you ever seen sales number on a particular Jap model?

Quote:
If they are so "obviously" superior then sales would show it. HDs sell because HD has the look down cold. The others are just imitators.
It isn't the looks that anyone in this thread is criticizing.

Quote:
For all the self-righteous posturing that goes on most sportbikers buy bikes based on the way they look as well. They can go on and on justifying their purchases but they are always touting their love of "superior" tech. So in that case the fastest bike in the yearly shootouts would be the only one sold all year long if those guys were as objective as they pretend to be.
You need to get over the "fast" thing. That is only one aspect of a quality scoot.
saddlebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:59 AM   #427
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:

Dude, why bother? He already knows. He asked two people already, get it? All he needs are any REAL reasons why he is wrong. Of course, anything that doesn't fit his small mind, or isn't consistent with his thought pattern isn't a REAL reason. Time to move on. This horse died a long time ago and doesn't need to be beat anymore. Time for a lock maybe? I think so.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:53 PM   #428
wallace666
Registered Member

My my, I was gone for a bit, came back and ya'll are goin around the block one(ten)more time(s) with it are ya? AND, you even mentioned me and I'm not even in the fight at this time. The one thing I notice about the HD fellers, "your either with'm or against'm", or that at least is what they think. They are very paranoid and don't take criticism or facts well. Everything is perceived as a personal attack and the responses are combative. Seems to be a common personality trait amongst them, probably explains why they ride them thangs.............Kinda like a little man complex........
wallace666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:47 PM   #429
Gluge
Registered Member

I'm just annoyed everyone attacks me instead of giving me some reasons why they like cruisers, I try to throw some out there I've heard and it just upsets them. Then they start jumping on sportbikes which I never ever involved. I was more curious why people got cruisers over standards or DP's which are probably a closer alternative than a sportbike, and as has been said they make sacrifices many people don't want or need to make.
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Old 12-19-2007, 08:01 PM   #430
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Cool it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace666 View Post
My my, I was gone for a bit, came back and ya'll are goin around the block one(ten)more time(s) with it are ya? AND, you even mentioned me and I'm not even in the fight at this time. The one thing I notice about the HD fellers, "your either with'm or against'm", or that at least is what they think. They are very paranoid and don't take criticism or facts well. Everything is perceived as a personal attack and the responses are combative. Seems to be a common personality trait amongst them, probably explains why they ride them thangs.............Kinda like a little man complex........
We gotta lot of things in common us MOrons, the love of two wheeled vehicles being the No.1 thing that binds us. Now you can prattle on about HD riders, metric riders, scooter riders, et.al. until you're blue in the face. But when you start making wide generalizations like the ones you just spewed out, it only makes you look uninformed and stoopid. A motorcycle is a motorcycle, not too dificult to understad, eh? Wally sign-of-the beast?