Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-13-2007, 06:04 PM   #401
saddlebag
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluge View Post
Oh I ride the bikes before I buy.
Then you are pretty lucky. I tend to base my decisions on a number of articles and hope for the best.

Except for a couple of trial rides at rallies and Buell and a couple of second tier Triumph and a demos at a dealership, I can't get any dealer to allow rides on anything except used bikes.

Fortunately, most bikes are reasonably good riders these days...even the Harleys. As long as you don't feel cheated and don't ride hard enough to cause the bike to get out of sorts this is so much balleyhoo.

Personally, I like bikes with a bit of gritty character, but yet I still ride agressively enough to prefer bikes that engineers take the time to analyze them rather than just allowing some artistic hick with an outlaw dream and a hot blow torch to create my everyday transportation. But then maybe I'm just a wuss.
saddlebag is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2007, 06:44 PM   #402
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

[quote=saddlebag;175390]Now THAT is a fair criticism. Perhaps you could enlighten some of the more hateful MOrons on techniques of civil discourse.

FWIW, I went by the Harley shop today. I asked the owner of the beautiful new botique if a Wide Glide could be fitted with mid mounted pegs.

It can be done though it would be spendy if you wanted the controls mid mount, then the inner and outer primary would need to be replaced. If you just wanted to have the pegs it should be fairly straight forward. The bolt holes should be there in the frame, just buy the peg mounts and pegs off a mid mount model and bolt them on.

When I got my Dyna I wanted a Wide Glide, however the best deal I could get was a plain Superglide by a few grand. I weaseled a set of stock FXDWG foreward controls off the dealer and bought a set of apehangers and a braided brakeline off a buddy's shop. Total cost was $120. and a few hours work. If I wanted to I could buy a factory new Wide Glide front end and a 21 inch wheel and axle for for around a grand or used for a lot less and complete the conversion. That's one of the intangibles with Harleys, you can build them anyway you like or ride them stock.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:09 PM   #403
Gluge
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Then you are pretty lucky. I tend to base my decisions on a number of articles and hope for the best.

Except for a couple of trial rides at rallies and Buell and a couple of second tier Triumph and a demos at a dealership, I can't get any dealer to allow rides on anything except used bikes.

Fortunately, most bikes are reasonably good riders these days...even the Harleys. As long as you don't feel cheated and don't ride hard enough to cause the bike to get out of sorts this is so much balleyhoo.

Personally, I like bikes with a bit of gritty character, but yet I still ride agressively enough to prefer bikes that engineers take the time to analyze them rather than just allowing some artistic hick with an outlaw dream and a hot blow torch to create my everyday transportation. But then maybe I'm just a wuss.
I've never bought a new bike, so I've been able to ride it first. Althought I did recently go to the ducati dealership in Santa Barbra with my father and his friend, they let us take out three bikes - a Monster SR4, a Ducati Sport Classic, and the Ducati Sport Classic GT or whatever that one is with the really low clip ons... They let us take them for about an hour, so we switched out frequently I didn't feel like it was enough time to really get to know them though since it wasn't 1 hour on the same bike.

Other than than I've only tried used bikes for sale, friends bikes, or bikes by friends rent heh.
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:26 PM   #404
saddlebag
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
It can be done though it would be spendy if you wanted the controls mid mount, then the inner and outer primary would need to be replaced.
Quote:
I noticed that the Low Rider's shifter came right thorugh a hole in the chromed primary cover, while the WG's shifter actuates the tranny via a foot long rod that enters the primary near its rear.
That might be a rather novel approach. It isn't like I can't reach the controls, it's just that the stretch would be too much for regular use. But I could always pop it into gear and use the mid mounts as "highway pegs" I suppose.

Quote:
If you just wanted to have the pegs it should be fairly straight forward. The bolt holes should be there in the frame, just buy the peg mounts and pegs off a mid mount model and bolt them on.
Yeah, that was one thing I learned today. The Dyna frames are all identical. The rake in the WG is produced completely by the different geometries of the triple clamps. Harley even uses the same front fender for the two different sized wheels. If you look carefully, you can see that it doesn't quite cover the fatter 19" tire.

Quote:
When I got my Dyna I wanted a Wide Glide, however the best deal I could get was a plain Superglide by a few grand. I weaseled a set of stock FXDWG foreward controls off the dealer and bought a set of apehangers and a braided brakeline off a buddy's shop. Total cost was $120. and a few hours work. If I wanted to I could buy a factory new Wide Glide front end and a 21 inch wheel and axle for for around a grand or used for a lot less and complete the conversion. That's one of the intangibles with Harleys, you can build them anyway you like or ride them stock.
You went the more standard way for sure. I asked about putting LR handlebars and midmounts on the WG. The guy clearly thought I was crazy. I got a similar reaction when I told another Harley dealer that I liked the LR, but would have to immediately change the rear shocks to increase ground clearance. To his credit, he did say that it was likely that he could get me a set of taller springs for free since nearly everyone "lowers" their ride as an initial mod.
saddlebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:51 AM   #405
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
Kenneth, I'm a member over there. See, told you it has gone too far. I only worry about buying the DL and having all the GS guys tell me "I don't get it" It reminds me of another thread, hold on, um, I got nothin'
Tell 'em what I told 'em. "I've already had a bike with 60+ year old engine design. It's time for something new and different!"

It's funny, my choices came down to the Ducati GT 1000 and the Suzuki DL 1000. Setting aside the issues of cost and maintenance, I was thinking to myself: "if I get the Duc, it will be the "cool" choice and I can brag about being a Ducatisti. If I get the DL, it will be the nerd choice, but I really like the Strom better. So, Kenneth has ascended into a state of inner peace where he just doesn't give a crap what anybody thinks about stuff like that any more. My kid loves the DL, that's all the approval I need.

BTW: I'm offering a new seminar: "The Karma Cycle." Check my website for dates in your city soon.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:55 AM   #406
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:

The only dealer around here that gives test rides is Pure Triumph/Ducati. I bought the DL without riding it, but it didn't worry me too much. A little bit, but once you've studied the market, understand the engine and tuning, and decide if it's ergos and features are right, you pretty much know what to expect when you ride it. There were no suprises at all for me on my first ride.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:42 AM   #407
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:

Yeah, that was one thing I learned today. The Dyna frames are all identical. The rake in the WG is produced completely by the different geometries of the triple clamps. Harley even uses the same front fender for the two different sized wheels. If you look carefully, you can see that it doesn't quite cover the fatter 19" tire.

Yup Dyna's are all the same and most parts are interchangable up to '05 or so. My last one, the one in my sig. I did the ape hanger and forward controls then went to low rider shocks on the rear, and shorter springs on the front to give a slammed look but of course it didn't corner well, then I got a bee in my bonnet and traded it for a T100 Bonnie. The one I have now is black with apes and forward controls and the stock shocks and springs and it corners alot better.

What I'd like to do with this is do some old skool yellow flames on the tank and go to a wide glide but keep the stock 19 in. wheel. I don't really care for 21's as the roads here are crap and beat the hell out of spoke wheels. If I keep the 19in cast one on there I can also run tubeless and get some more aggressive tires. I don't want the bike down long enough for a painter to get to it though and the narrow glide works very well. I'll probably do the change over at some point just to have a wide glide and use my Suzuki for faster riding.

Last edited by sarnali2 : 12-14-2007 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:15 AM   #408
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

You could always buy a second-hand tank, paint it, and then sell the one on the bike now!

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:33 AM   #409
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

He could also buy a bike that has more horsepower, torque, better brakes, and it cheaper to boot, but I would never be the one to bring something like that up again!
Old 12-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #410
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
He could also buy a bike that has more horsepower, torque, better brakes, and it cheaper to boot, but I would never be the one to bring something like that up again!

LOL, I didn't think of that.......