Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-13-2007, 02:51 PM   #391
Gluge
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"Thank you for all that insight. If you can suggest a better place to get average selling prices please do so"

Ever hear of craigslist? Real world dude, try joining it.
Haha, you realize craigslist is where people post for sale ads. They post ASKING prices in those ads. The is no section of craigslist where people post how much they actually got.

Real world = just because you ask for a price doesn't mean you get it.

KBB on the other hand looks at prices things sell for! imagine that. They update there numbers every few months and gather more data on sale prices than anyone else. And you dispute that with craigslist asking prices?? Hahahaa.
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2007, 02:52 PM   #392
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
I know when I've already priced out heated grips, caribou luggage and all the other toys for a certain bike it usually is just a matter of time. Btw, that caribou luggage frame is not as ugly as most.
I have the Givi PLX setup. The frame looks cool to me; it fits in tightly and doesn't wreck the bike's appearance with the bags off. The bags, however, stick way out there, it's like installing airbrakes. They are also more street oriented compared to those indestructable looking "ammo case" ones I've seen on a lot of bikes. But, the DL is my Urban Assault Cycle; it won't see much dirt unless I move.

BTW: if you're thinking DL, check out this link! Since I'm heading for a ST type of bike anyway, I thought this would be a nice addition. You can buy them pre-painted.

JVM lower fairing, $575 limited time price. - Stromtrooper.com
Old 12-13-2007, 02:59 PM   #393
Gluge
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"You realize winning a shoot out and having the best ride often go hand in hand?"

Really? Wow, I never knew that someone that I don't know, who has an opinion about a bike based on his own criteria, would make me want to go out and buy that bike. I always valued my own opinion above any others, and I ALWAYS ride a motorcycle before I buy it. To do anything less is pretty stupid.
All the good reviews explain the differences bettween the bikes in specific areas like handling braking etc. etc. I suggest deciding which areas are most important to you then looking at how the bikes rate in those areas. If a bike is better in all the areas though it will probably win the shoot out and baring some personal preference on looks, brand etc. why not get that one?

Oh I ride the bikes before I buy. For me though I feel to really be able to compare bikes I'd have to ride them in the environment I was buying them for which for me can involve the canyons or even the track. It's hard to get a seller to let you take a bike far enough to get to some good roads sometimes.
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Old 12-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #394
Fenton
Founding Member

Kenneth, I'm a member over there. See, told you it has gone too far. I only worry about buying the DL and having all the GS guys tell me "I don't get it" It reminds me of another thread, hold on, um, I got nothin'
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:49 PM   #395
wallace666
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I have the Givi PLX setup. The frame looks cool to me; it fits in tightly and doesn't wreck the bike's appearance with the bags off. The bags, however, stick way out there, it's like installing airbrakes. They are also more street oriented compared to those indestructable looking "ammo case" ones I've seen on a lot of bikes. But, the DL is my Urban Assault Cycle; it won't see much dirt unless I move.

BTW: if you're thinking DL, check out this link! Since I'm heading for a ST type of bike anyway, I thought this would be a nice addition. You can buy them pre-painted.

JVM lower fairing, $575 limited time price. - Stromtrooper.com
That's a really nice piece! Sure changes the looks, it umm almost looks purdy with that on there.If your going to stay strictly on the road, go for it. If your ever going to go off road, don't do it, Stroms are kinda low, you will splinter that piece quickly. I have an after market skid plate(and crashbars) on mine, I don't do heavy off road, but I like to go down fire roads and stuff. I've hit a few rocks and had some branches bang up under there.
wallace666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:05 PM   #396
wallace666
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
Kenneth, I'm a member over there. See, told you it has gone too far. I only worry about buying the DL and having all the GS guys tell me "I don't get it" It reminds me of another thread, hold on, um, I got nothin'
Heheh, I wouldn't worry about that. Beemer pukes are pretty mellow, although some are snooty. I ride with a RT owner, we ride to the Beemer shop all the time, hang out, free sodas and snacks, crumpets and tea mate? I also go to the BMW tech day meetings he has at his house. I see guys going over and looking at my bike, they kinda look around to see if anyone is watching. I'm sure their thinking, "**** man, that's a nice bike, he saved $8k over what I paid, it's more reliable, better dealer network, and I can't keep up with these damn Stroms!!" When I was looking, a fully loaded GS was $24k otd. The Strom, with all accessories came out to around $11.5k. To me that's huge!!

I can understand the Harley gig, but the Beemer thing mystifies me. You just get plain butt raped, and it doesn't end after you drop the initial wad, the service intervals and costs is the coup de gras for your wallet. No thanks......

On the other hand, if you got buckets of money you don't know what to do with, why not!
Old 12-13-2007, 04:13 PM   #397
wallace666
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluge View Post
Haha, you realize craigslist is where people post for sale ads. They post ASKING prices in those ads. The is no section of craigslist where people post how much they actually got.

Real world = just because you ask for a price doesn't mean you get it.

KBB on the other hand looks at prices things sell for! imagine that. They update there numbers every few months and gather more data on sale prices than anyone else. And you dispute that with craigslist asking prices?? Hahahaa.
Yea, craigslist is all asking prices, but it is a good market indicator and shows where things are heading. I sat here and watched my favorite areas take a massive nose dive this winter. All brands, just incredible. If I had $50 to 75k laying around, I would have swooped this area clean, opened a used bike shop and made bank in the spring. There was a real opportunity here, I wasn't set up for it. Damn shame!
Old 12-13-2007, 04:31 PM   #398
Gluge
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace666 View Post
Yea, craigslist is all asking prices, but it is a good market indicator and shows where things are heading. I sat here and watched my favorite areas take a massive nose dive this winter. All brands, just incredible. If I had $50 to 75k laying around, I would have swooped this area clean, opened a used bike shop and made bank in the spring. There was a real opportunity here, I wasn't set up for it. Damn shame!
Wouldn't a better market indicator be averaging sale prices? As KBB does?
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Old 12-13-2007, 05:10 PM   #399
wallace666
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluge View Post
Wouldn't a better market indicator be averaging sale prices? As KBB does?
I'm not going against what your saying. I think KBB is a good tool, but combine it and use it with personal research in your area to get the whole picture. KBB is accurate to a point and extremely useful, but you have to know your micro-area to have the whole picture and not make mistakes. My perspective is based on a business model, but still works on personal purchases.

The reason I think all this is due to the fact that I grew up in the car business, retail and wholesale. My dad owned a retail car lot and a wholesale car biz. I grew up at the auctions and at his lot, it was pretty cool, and educational on many levels. I still have the bug to this day, I buy and sell a lot of things, lose my arse once in awhile when I get lazy with research.

KBB gives you a base, then you check the local market and see what it says the value is, adjust between the two on what your willing to spend, then go find the serious good deals. With good research, you can identify what a serious good deal is and jump before the rest of the wolves. Oh yea, have a large bucket of money ready too.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:43 PM   #400
saddlebag
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Thank you for thanking me. I'm thankful.

It was a looooong time ago in Post World time, but if you look back on my comment about the Star, it was NOT on it's quality, performance, engineering, etc. I said I thought it LOOKS atrocious, like Yamaha had a whiteboard session where they listed every possible chopper styling cliche, and then broke into individual groups to come up with their part. Which were then mashed together into a mess on wheels. I'm sure all those amalgamated styling cues are going to appeal to someone...just not me.
Now THAT is a fair criticism. Perhaps you could enlighten some of the more hateful MOrons on techniques of civil discourse.

FWIW, I went by the Harley shop today. I asked the owner of the beautiful new botique if a Wide Glide could be fitted with mid mounted pegs. He looked at me like I was from Mars and said he'd never seen it done. He then proceeded to inquire as to whether I prefer a Lazyboy or a stool for relaxation in front of the TV.

I told him that I didn't watch TV while traveling at 80 mph and prefer a less gyno exam posture while threading traffic. Thankfully, he had no more sales BS and left me alone.

Thank Gawd my peeps at the Yami shop are not only friendly, but also generally knowledgable about motorsickles and not too phoney to actually research things they aren't sure about.
saddlebag is offline   Reply With Quote