Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-12-2007, 06:43 AM   #251
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"So I think bikes can be practical."

One thing I think you take for granted in all your 'practical' arguments is that everyone doesn't live in California. I can't lane split where I live, so it doesn't matter what size bike you have. Second, it actually snows here and temps regularly drop into the single digits, so the 'practical' bike is much less 'practical' than the most expensive sports car, because unless you like spending lots of time on your ass sliding down the street or freezing your ass off, it isn't all that 'practical' to own a bike where it snows, is really cold, and you can't lane split, which is more than half of the country.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2007, 06:46 AM   #252
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
HD is crying...all the way to the bank.

Or: if Harley is a "whipping boy," where do I sign up? I'd like to be enormously popular worldwide, rich beyond my wildest dreams, and an iconic national symbol.
Yeah, the 'whipping boys' are going to sell more motorcycles in the US than Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Triumph, and BMW combined this year. Doesn't that just suck for them?
Old 12-12-2007, 07:57 AM   #253
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Good point on the tires, the GT 501's on my Dyna stop and stick way better than the 491's that came stock and I believe the 501's have been superceded now. Reaction time and road surface is going to determine your stopping distance more than anything else.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:58 AM   #254
vermicious
Registered Member

Default but... but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Let your anger go...... don't fall prey to the dark side. Longride is your father......
the dark side has cookies!
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:27 AM   #255
wallace666
Registered Member

Holy Crap, I came back to see the thread, same ol thang fellas. On that brake issue, ease of use and better brakes will help in the reaction time department. If it's easier to pull, engages quicker and has better bite, in an emergency situation your average Joe is gonna get stopped quicker than a four finger pull set up. 10 feet is huge when it comes to t-boning a car or not. The real world is not on the track with an experienced tester(although that's good for benchmarks). To the naysayers I say go ride a Roadliner, the brakes are simply awesome, a new standard for barges, and can in no way way be belittled. Ok, carry on, get back to the justification of inferiority. Friggin hilarious!
wallace666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:51 AM   #256
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

So, you actually own a Roadliner and are speaking from experiance?

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:06 AM   #257
vermicious
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluge View Post
I figured the harleys give people a special feeling I was asking what it was.
The implication is that there has to be some rationale. Some formula by which enjoyment is both described and justified. Has it occurred to you that there might not be such a rationale? I have had a wide variety of motorcycles, each had it's unique (to my experience) charms. But even lacking a tangible and definitive advantage over it's fellows there are bikes that I look back on more fondly than others. Maybe it's more about the person than the bike and where they are on a personal level at the time when a particular bike catches their attention.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:08 AM   #258
vermicious
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace666 View Post
Holy Crap, I came back to see the thread, same ol thang fellas. On that brake issue, ease of use and better brakes will help in the reaction time department. If it's easier to pull, engages quicker and has better bite, in an emergency situation your average Joe is gonna get stopped quicker than a four finger pull set up. 10 feet is huge when it comes to t-boning a car or not. The real world is not on the track with an experienced tester(although that's good for benchmarks). To the naysayers I say go ride a Roadliner, the brakes are simply awesome, a new standard for barges, and can in no way way be belittled. Ok, carry on, get back to the justification of inferiority. Friggin hilarious!
Nothing is more pathetic than someone who derives joy from pissing on someone else's shoes except perhaps someone who is as universally ill-equipped to succeed at it as you appear to be.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:41 AM   #259
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermicious View Post
Nothing is more pathetic than someone who derives joy from pissing on someone else's shoes except perhaps someone who is as universally ill-equipped to succeed at it as you appear to be.
Ouch! Now aspersions are being cast upon your weiner, Wallace! (Would that be a Wally Weiner?)

The tragedy, the human tragedy of it all.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:11 AM   #260
silentgrayfellow
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluge View Post
60-0 distances:

Harleys:
XL1200s - 110 ft
XLH1200C - 124 ft
Sportster 883L - 134 ft
FXDS Convertible - 117 ft
etc. etc.

Still either way it's close and it's interesting that the harleys seem quite a bit more scattered (ranging from 134 ft to 109 ft) than the full on sport bikes (R1, GSXR-1000, R6, 999, etc. etc.)

The 1200s has a dual disc setup in the front, the other bikes listed here are single disc. I couldn't tell you why the 883L was so far out there though. Bad suspension? (the L is the Lowered model in the linup).
silentgrayfellow is offline   Reply With Quote