Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-11-2007, 09:13 PM   #241
Gluge
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
There’s a keyboard in Seattle that's getting it's ass kicked right now. White knuckled fists raining down on an innocent keyboard.
I think I missed the joke

I hope your not talking about me though, I'm in santa monica and I say sport bikes can't stop quite as quickly as cruisers. I will say though I think they have better brakes they're just too short and lift their rear wheels too easily, brake system by it's self is better though.

When I said why would anyone give up better braking and pay more I ment the yamaha star compared to the harley in this review.

I'm would be curious to see how well a longer sportish bike (ZX-14 or something) stops compared to a cruiser type.

Anyone know which bikes stop the fastest?
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."

Last edited by Gluge : 12-11-2007 at 09:16 PM.
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2007, 09:26 PM   #242
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

It was a joke, but wasn't directed at you. It was a long standing "discussion" between the good Doctor Seruzawa and KP about braking.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:14 AM   #243
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Talking The high point of the thread, thanks for the entertainment

"Let your anger go...... don't fall prey to the dark side. Longride is your father......"

Who said this is a pointless thread that doesn't justify a visit but once a week or ever.....

Can we get you guys on to world peace or something.....
Old 12-12-2007, 04:34 AM   #244
Gluge
Registered Member

FYI I found some braking info...
http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/JAN06Pindx1.pdf

I was surprised actually. It seems sportbikes generaly do stop a tinny bit sooner than cruisers, at least harleys on average, though there are some stand outs.

60-0 distances:
999 - 112 ft
748 - 113 ft
Mille - 113 ft
Tuono - 117 ft

Harleys:
XL1200s - 110 ft
XLH1200C - 124 ft
Sportster 883L - 134 ft
FXDS Convertible - 117 ft
etc. etc.

Over all it looks to me harleys on average stop in 122 ft or so... just roughtly estimating.. where as full on sport bikes seem to be more like 115 ft.

Still either way it's close and it's interesting that the harleys seem quite a bit more scattered (ranging from 134 ft to 109 ft) than the full on sport bikes (R1, GSXR-1000, R6, 999, etc. etc.)

Just thought I'd inject a bit of hard data
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:36 AM   #245
saddlebag
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
does not = maximum horsepower. If it did then every engine would be a supercharged minimum of 4 cylinders. And EVERY V-TWIN CRUISER BUILT WOULD BE CRAP including the Yamaha in question because it is easily outclassed by virtually any I-4 ever made.
Fair enough. But in the HD/Yami comparison there is also a disparity in frames, suspensions, and brakes. Those are the "engineered" parts.

When it comes to bling, the Harley has no equal.

Quote:
Solipsism
Now there's a word you don't hear everyday.

Quote:
Your personal preferences are not divine revelation.
But his personal preferences are consistent with his comment about car makers shift toward performance (i.e. quality engineering). If a Cady's body still wallowed and rolled like one from 1973, it would be an afterthought today...despite a more powerful engine.
saddlebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:37 AM   #246
anrajala
Founding Member

>HD has been behind the power curve since the 60's and the
>people who like them don't seem to care. HD's imminent demise
>due yo lack of power/cc has been predicted by "geniuses" since
>the 60's. Why should anyone believe such predictions now?

What are you saying? Since the sixties the competition had 42% more torq in their cruisers? Honda had VTX1800, Kawi had a 2.1 litre and Rocket III was the king? Fact is that never in the history has Harley been the whipping boy in the cruiser market as it is today. Situation is a bit different than it was in the ‘60s.

And comparing cruisers performance to that of the other bikes? Its as to say “If SUV drivers would like power they’d be buying sports cars”. Nope. They want SUVs. And they want power.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:54 AM   #247
saddlebag
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluge View Post

Harleys:
XL1200s - 110 ft
Yeah, I remember being suprised that a Wide Glide being tested in MC News was hauled down from 60 mph in 109 ft, given it's skinny bias plys and single front disc.

This reminds me of something that brings me back to the actual bikes. One thing I've not seen mentioned anywhere are the "unique" tire sizes used on the Yami. Not too crazy about the idea of a single supplier situation.

I notice that new Harleys are running tall skinny rim protectors that have a sport tire appearance. They were labeled Dunlop 407, but I haven't found a work about them online yet.
saddlebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:51 AM   #248
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluge View Post
FYI I found some braking info...
http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/JAN06Pindx1.pdf

I was surprised actually. It seems sportbikes generaly do stop a tinny bit sooner than cruisers, at least harleys on average, though there are some stand outs.

60-0 distances:
999 - 112 ft
748 - 113 ft
Mille - 113 ft
Tuono - 117 ft

Harleys:
XL1200s - 110 ft
XLH1200C - 124 ft
Sportster 883L - 134 ft
FXDS Convertible - 117 ft
etc. etc.

Over all it looks to me harleys on average stop in 122 ft or so... just roughtly estimating.. where as full on sport bikes seem to be more like 115 ft.

Still either way it's close and it's interesting that the harleys seem quite a bit more scattered (ranging from 134 ft to 109 ft) than the full on sport bikes (R1, GSXR-1000, R6, 999, etc. etc.)

Just thought I'd inject a bit of hard data
I'll inject some harder data. Imagine if those Harleys had sportbike rubber on them. They would cut those distances by many feet. The tires are the determining factor for shorter stopping distance far more than the brakes are. People complain about Harleys having bad brakes, but my 01 E-Glide can lock either wheel easily, so the brakes on it will stop it as quickly as any other overpriced brake system on the market. I may not be able to use one finger, but that makes no difference in the ability to stop quickly. So the 'hard data' you injected isn't all that hard if the cruiser chooses stickier rubber and/or the sportbike guy goes with sport touring rubber. Lots more factors at play here than just one set of data from one tester.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:07 AM   #249
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I'll inject some harder data. Imagine if those Harleys had sportbike rubber on them. They would cut those distances by many feet. The tires are the determining factor for shorter stopping distance far more than the brakes are. People complain about Harleys having bad brakes, but my 01 E-Glide can lock either wheel easily, so the brakes on it will stop it as quickly as any other overpriced brake system on the market. I may not be able to use one finger, but that makes no difference in the ability to stop quickly. So the 'hard data' you injected isn't all that hard if the cruiser chooses stickier rubber and/or the sportbike guy goes with sport touring rubber. Lots more factors at play here than just one set of data from one tester.
The important point here is that an average braking difference of 6 feet between HDs and Tuonos is absolutely irrelevant. When traveling at 60mph the time difference is .07 seconds. Competence and reaction time are the important factors.

Calling HD brakes "bad" is just an admission of having limp wrists. Maybe the sportbike guys should go to the gym. LOL!
Old 12-12-2007, 07:17 AM   #250
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrajala View Post
>HD Fact is that never in the history has Harley been the whipping boy in the cruiser market as it is today.
- cruiz-euro
HD is crying...all the way to the bank.

Or: if Harley is a "whipping boy," where do I sign up? I'd like to be enormously popular worldwide, rich beyond my wildest dreams, and an iconic national symbol.