Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 11-29-2007, 06:22 PM   #11
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I like the bikes. I actually like the Yami and the Victory more. The HD seems too fancy for my ugly mug. But If I had to choose one, I'd go with the Yami...cuz I'm a cheap ass.

How are the windmills?
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-29-2007, 06:25 PM   #12
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

And the title is "Mainstream Choppers". Which is accurate as this is what the standard public knows as choppers nowadays.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:26 PM   #13
silentgrayfellow
Founding Member

The Yam is just to ugly to compete in this group. Yeah, yeah, better performance, less money, blah blah blah. IMO, people who are considering a $20,000 Harley are not going to even consider buying the Raider. The Victory might get a look, but I don't think performance is the motivating factor in this purchasing decision. It's styling and cool factor, and the Yam lost big in both of those categories. If you compare the Raider to H-D and Victory products with similar prices (which is more realistic anyway, since people generally shop based on how much they can afford to spend), you might end up comparing the Raider to the standard Vegas and the Harley Superglide (I would have said Softail Standard but it has been discontinued). I don't think that would have changed the results of this shootout (since the Raider won on performance), but it would have eliminated price as the primary factor.

Let's talk about looks. Why is the Raider ugly? Let me count the reasons why. First, looking at the front, why did they use a headlight with ugly mounting brackets on the sides of it? Look at any custom cruiser and they will have a headlight with less obvious mounts. Then there's the big gap between the fuel tank and the steering head. Looks like some amateur hack and reweld job was done on the frame. The fuel tank doesn't look like it was custom designed for this bike. For the next eyesore, take a look at the rear fender strut. What's up with the weird angles? I read the part about them going for the "gothic" look, but this thing is just ugly. The seat angles are nearly as bad. And the exhaust, although it does provide the angles that Yam was looking for, just doesn't flow well. That's the problem with this bike. The photo MO posted of the bike looking down on it from behind doesn't look too bad, but the flow of the bike, looking at the side view, it just looks broken. JMHO.
silentgrayfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:27 PM   #14
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

And I'm digging the videos. The are getting more elaborate. The taste of Public Access has definitely lessened
Old 11-29-2007, 06:35 PM   #15
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

The Hawley looks way cool. The Vic looks like something conjured up from a wholesale thrift shop, with that screwy desk lamp headlight shell. And the Yamaha looks like, err... a Yamaha.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:06 PM   #16
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
...And wasn't the point of the original chopper concept was to buy a cheap POS and than fix it up and Frankenstein the hell out of it because you couldn't afford a new manufactured bike?

Well that's why I built my first Harley. I was riding my 750 Kawasaki, working for the State getting paid once a month, so every month I'd buy as many parts as I could. I started with a stretched '57 straight bar frame a buddy had, then a couple of wheels and a front end. Once I had a rolling chassis I took out a loan from the credit union for a hammered 74in. Shovelhead engine and ratchet top trans. clutch and inner and outer primaries. I paid a guy a couple of hundred bucks to spray the tanks and fenders black lacquer w/ rasberry metalflake, another bud wired it for me and we got it running, then I took off the heads and barrels, had bored them to 80in. and added a J grind cam and had the heads flowed with new valves and guides. It took about a year to get it on the road and running good, then another 6 months of replacing all the used junkyard parts with new Harley stuff. After that I just rode the wheels off it, never really had any trouble with it except the 5 gal tanks leaking, I rode around with a Sportster tank on it for a while then I went to 3.5 gal fat bobs and rubber mounted them and solved that problem.

It was really a lot of fun, I wish I still had it.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:26 PM   #17
Buzglyd
Founding Member

One thing I mentioned during the test is that all of these bikes worked way better than they should considering the geometry, etc. The front ends were a little heavy, but other than that, they rode like normal motorcycles. I was impressed with all of them.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:42 PM   #18
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

It's a 'Star' man, get it right! Yamaha ain't got nothin to do with them things.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:35 AM   #19
tomk2
Founding Member

I went to this a couple weekends ago... real choppers, not bland mass produced ****

http://www.dirtbagchallenge.com/
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:14 AM   #20
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

A 96 cube engine making only 61rwhp!! 20 grand should at lest buy cams and head work.

Come on Harley, pull yer finger out.
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote