Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-06-2007, 08:47 AM   #171
wallace666
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
You got that right all the way around. I am always looking at bikes and prices. I am always in the market. I like to ride lots of different bikes, and not lose my shirt on every one. There is certainly a dip in the market. It started last year. The funny part is that I really can't find any of these so called 'deals' that the posters here seem to find. Wallace can find recent Big Twins for 5 grand. I bet you'd be in for a slightly used Big Twin for 5G! Wallace is gonna hook us up bro.
Longride, don't you remember the Raider thread, you told me the same thing, but in a nicer way, we actually had a good conversation back then, most of the time. But, if you go check that thread, you'll see that I sent you several craigslist postings of exactly of what I stated then and now about Harley prices out here. At that time you said that the prices weren't like that where you live, and I believe that. Just like the housing market is different in different parts of the country, so is the bike/car market. I see people trying to sell very nice low mile 1200 sportsters for the same price as big twins are going for, I doubt they are getting anywhere near asking price, in the world of HD no one is going to buy a sporty over a big twin if the price is the same. 883's with no miles on them are positively getting given away! For those that want to buy a Harley, Califronia is the place to buy, it's a dream come true out here for buyers, of all makes.
wallace666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2007, 08:56 AM   #172
Gluge
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Not at all but some of the poster in this thread have gone out of their way to put HD down, maybe not you in particular. I've said all along buy what you like, a motorcycle purchase is always going to be subjective at best. Personaly I'd be embarrassed to be seen on a Star or Boulevard or Shadow because I know the history on them however if someone else likes them then fly at it, I'm sure they're excellent bikes.

I do find broken clutch cables and seat latches in 3k miles kinda odd, I've never broken one on a Harley......
Your probably partly thinking of me. My whole complaint with them isn't the bikes just the price. While spec wise they seem kinda down I don't really care much about hpr and I'm sure people who buy these care even less.

I just think it's a bit sad harley can't seem to compete from a price - bike standpoint with out their brand name being a factor.

I mean if we were all given that review with no pictures and no mention of brands just assigned them letters would anyone really think the harley was the one to get? (I realize looks are probably 95% of what sells these though but reviews aren't about looks)

resale value is nice I guess if you think you might sell it.. I never buy anything planning to sell it but that's probably just me.

Motorcycles and cars are very poor things to invest in. I mean think of it this way... even if you buy the harley and sell it for more than you payed for it 5 years latter it still tied up more money than a cheaper bike would (and you have to take into account inflation, etc). In the case of these it would tie up about $8k more. That's $8k you could have invested in your other more sure and profitable investments.

Out of curiosity what embarrassing history are you talking about with the star, etc. motorcycles?
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:59 AM   #173
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace666 View Post
Longride, don't you remember the Raider thread, you told me the same thing, but in a nicer way, we actually had a good conversation back then, most of the time. But, if you go check that thread, you'll see that I sent you several craigslist postings of exactly of what I stated then and now about Harley prices out here. At that time you said that the prices weren't like that where you live, and I believe that. Just like the housing market is different in different parts of the country, so is the bike/car market. I see people trying to sell very nice low mile 1200 sportsters for the same price as big twins are going for, I doubt they are getting anywhere near asking price, in the world of HD no one is going to buy a sporty over a big twin if the price is the same. 883's with no miles on them are positively getting given away! For those that want to buy a Harley, Califronia is the place to buy, it's a dream come true out here for buyers, of all makes.
When entering the world of classified ad sales we are really entering the Twilight Zone. When I lived in L.A. and bought and sold stuff generally prices seemed to be very reasonable. When I moved to Utah I discovered a different culture where every old piece of junk is believed to be worth it's weight in gold to the guy selling it. Trying to sell something is a real experience. Whenever I try to sell a bike or car I get a stream of guys claiming that the thing I'm selling is a POS and I should give it to them almost for free, even though they
haven't laid eyes on it. Cars, bikes, bicycles, guns, appliances, you name it. Sometimes I feel like I'm in the "Life of Brian" bazaar. Except that the hagglers IQs are about 25. I eventually get my price but man the process is a real pain. Worse than SoCal IMHO.

You should see the crap that people try to claim are valuable antiques around here.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:02 AM   #174
Larry
Founding Member

Default I don't know...

Bought my 1999 Intruder 1500 for $8500, brand new, no miles.
Sold it for $4000 in Feb, 07.

Not so bad, a $4500 loss in 8 years. It had 60K miles.

My cousin bought a 1999 Fat Boy. Back then there was the whole supply/demand thing going and additional mark-ups were common, so he paid $18K for it. IF he could sell it for $13,500 in today's market, we would have both lost $4500.

I see 1999 Fat Boys on Cycle Trader for $10,995.00, $11,000.00, $12,900.00, $9,898.00, $8,495.00... So I figure he's screwed.

IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR AN INVESTMENT, BUY BONDS!
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:03 AM   #175
wallace666
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Now you're talking out both sides of your mouth "pick the better bike or the bike that makes your boat float"..suppose that happens to be the Harley? can I still pick that one or can I only pick what you and your inexperianced pal have decided are best?

To be honest I don't really care for any of these bikes but suppose I did? suppose the HD was the one that floated my boat and I felt $20k was cheap for such a cool bike, can I still chose it or does my choice have to be one you Harley Haters approve of.
Harley Haters??? Wow, that sounds very familiar! So if were not with you were against you?? That's a desperation statement used by a certain type of people nowadays, someone in their last throws, a dead ender of sorts. HEHEH!

Alls I served back to you, and got the desired results, was exactly what you've put out in reference to Asian bikes. Now you cry foul and insinuate hate. Nothing could be farther from the truth in reference to me, I like all bikes, and have damn near owned all bikes. Still have a few to go though. If you don't like taking sh*t, don't serve it up yourself in a "hateful", prejudicial and racist manner. Hahaha!! How you like that, see it can be spun to the 10's, now I'm accusing you of prejudice and racism............Amusing.

Next you'll tell that Harleys do have the horsepower, your looking for it, you've been told by a reliable source that it has it, you just can't find it yet. Maybe somebody moved it to another bike, maybe the evil Stars have it. In this case you'd be right!
Old 12-06-2007, 09:03 AM   #176
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace666 View Post
Dude, just find me that newer Softail or Dyna for 5 grand that isn't completely wasted, and I'll even give you a $500 buck finder fee. No BS either. Get me one and I'll pay you.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:11 AM   #177
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Right on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Dude, just find me that newer Softail or Dyna for 5 grand that isn't completely wasted, and I'll even give you a $500 buck finder fee. No BS either. Get me one and I'll pay you.
Me too! No shyt!
Old 12-06-2007, 09:26 AM   #178
wallace666
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
When entering the world of classified ad sales we are really entering the Twilight Zone. When I lived in L.A. and bought and sold stuff generally prices seemed to be very reasonable. When I moved to Utah I discovered a different culture where every old piece of junk is believed to be worth it's weight in gold to the guy selling it. Trying to sell something is a real experience. Whenever I try to sell a bike or car I get a stream of guys claiming that the thing I'm selling is a POS and I should give it to them almost for free, even though they
haven't laid eyes on it. Cars, bikes, bicycles, guns, appliances, you name it. Sometimes I feel like I'm in the "Life of Brian" bazaar. Except that the hagglers IQs are about 25. I eventually get my price but man the process is a real pain. Worse than SoCal IMHO.

You should see the crap that people try to claim are valuable antiques around here.
I hear ya. I buy and sell bikes, cars, mainly old trucks and anything else I can work a deal on nowadays. It helps supplement my income. The guys that really piss me off are the ones you spend time talking to on the phone, then they come out, do the test drive or viewing, then they offer half of what your asking because they don't and never had anywhere near the asking price or a reasonable offer. A recent example of a goofy dreamer seller was a older gpz1100 for sale. The ad went on extolling the performance virtues of the bike, the great original condition, the price was around $1800, so I'm reading all this and thinking "cool old original bike", scroll down to the pic and here is this bike that's been stored outside, in the blurry low res pic you could see that it was hammered and neglected, the capper was the plant life growing out of the muffler tips!! I sent it around to my friends as a joke, we all got a good laugh. It's just one of many roaches that get listed by a dreamer. But it's all part of the game.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:31 AM   #179
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Hatefull and predjudicial manner? man you threw that one in from left field... As it happens I've owned more Japanese bikes than anything else and own a Suzuki as we speak and enjoy riding the wheels off it, I've got nothing against Asians or Asian bikes. I do find their copying of Harley rather distasteful only because they're trying to emulate a heritage they don't have. IMO they have their own history, why not build a replica Z1 or CBX? a GS1150ES or an XS650? How about modern version of an SL350? they'd sell like hotcakes and be an honest homage` to their own history instead of trying to spin off a certain era in American history. The whole notion of metric cruisers is ridicules to me.

However I don't go out of my way to denigrate them as Jap-crap or Rice Rockets or question why anyone would possibly want one like you seem to enjoy doing with Harley, though didn't you claim to have ridden them for 27 years?, I know from my own experiance the Japanese build some excellent products, as do the germans and the Brits, even the Spaniards.. I've never owned an Italian bike so I can't speak from experiance there (not that that 's ever stopped you) my position has always been buy what you like.

No, like I said earlier, you're just trying to start trouble with your trolling. maybe if you went to a HD forum with your BS you'd get the reponse you are so obviously looking for from one of the noobs or faithful you seem to want to egg on, I'm afraid all the Harley riders I know of here also own Japanese bikes and have enough experiance to know what is and what ain't. Better luck next time wally.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 12-06-2007 at 10:00 AM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:35 AM   #180
anrajala
Founding Member

$500 Yamie? Big deal I've seen 100 EUR Rebel. High end Harleys: Kelly's blue book trade-in value for my 2002 Fat boy is $9810 so the drop is some $7000 - 8000 (depending on what kind of deal you had). So, in percentage terms the Japanese drop more, but then you end up losing the same dough with a Harley.

In fact, the cheaper you get the less you lose. If you bought a new Rebel and years later swopped it for a good bonk in a Baltic sea cruise toilet, it would have dropped in value much less than a Fat Boy.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote