Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2007, 07:35 AM   #1
colb
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2
Default Bike suggestions

I currently have a CRF 230 Honda just for trail riding and I am looking at trying to get a little more bike. I'm looking for a 250 but I'm not sure which bike I should get. Between Honda, Ktm and Kawasaki. Which bike would be better for trail and motocross? If I'm trying to stay in some kind of resonable budget. ( KTM and Gas GAs are up there ).
Any opinions?
colb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-23-2007, 08:49 AM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

 
mscuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Next to my still checkin the temp.
Posts: 5,447
Default Four strokes vs. two strokes

Take it from me, the 4 strokes are great, but when it comes to rebuild time, they cost big $$$$. I don't know where you live, or the off-road registration rules, but you can't beat a two stroke for power, ease of maintenance, and cheap parts. Take for example the cost of doing a top end on a newer 450 4 stroke (Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki)that runs in excess of $1,800.00. Doing a top end on a 250 two strokes will run you about $300.00 (if you do it yourself). And god forbid if the 4 strokes rod is shot, or is bent, then the cost jumps up to around three grand for a complete rebuild.

You can pick up a 5 year old CR, YZ or KX for peanuts, and you'll be rewarded with a bike that reliable and fast enought to blow all those new four strikers right into the weeds. Here's a shot of me wringing out a project CRF230 for off-road.com last year. Neat handling, but needs more motor. Like riding a big SL100.

Good luck on your search.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CRF230 PROJECT BIKE.JPG (49.2 KB, 9 views)
__________________
A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.
mscuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Take it from me, the 4 strokes are great, but when it comes to rebuild time, they cost big $$$$. I don't know where you live, or the off-road registration rules, but you can't beat a two stroke for power, ease of maintenance, and cheap parts. Take for example the cost of doing a top end on a newer 450 4 stroke (Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki)that runs in excess of $1,800.00. Doing a top end on a 250 two strokes will run you about $300.00 (if you do it yourself). And god forbid if the 4 strokes rod is shot, or is bent, then the cost jumps up to around three grand for a complete rebuild.

You can pick up a 5 year old CR, YZ or KX for peanuts, and you'll be rewarded with a bike that reliable and fast enought to blow all those new four strikers right into the weeds. Here's a shot of me wringing out a project CRF230 for off-road.com last year. Neat handling, but needs more motor. Like riding a big SL100.

Good luck on your search.
You forgot to mention the delicious smell of pre mix in the morning.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:42 AM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

 
mscuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Next to my still checkin the temp.
Posts: 5,447
Default

...mmmmm...bean oil (or a highly oderiferous combination of all three, bean oil-petroleum & synthetic that is the marvelous Yamalube R).

It smells like..er..victory!

How's that bicycle holdin' up Buz, you ready for the ported cylinder yet?
__________________
A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.
mscuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:57 AM   #5
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
...mmmmm...bean oil (or a highly oderiferous combination of all three, bean oil-petroleum & synthetic that is the marvelous Yamalube R).

It smells like..er..victory!

How's that bicycle holdin' up Buz, you ready for the ported cylinder yet?
Every time I ride it something vibrates off! The top of the carb completely unscrewed the other day on an expedition to get wine from the local store.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:11 AM   #6
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

 
mscuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Next to my still checkin the temp.
Posts: 5,447
Default

That must have been fun. Gotta watch dem tings. Just have to get use to what falls off and when, I never had that many problems btw. Use red locktite...

You might want to look at the motor mount bolts, they get loose from the vibration. It was the perfect booze-runner. Glad it's still being used for the same thing.

Here's a shot of it right after I built it, with its sister.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010019[1].jpg (96.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P1010018[1].jpg (104.0 KB, 6 views)
__________________
A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.
mscuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:50 PM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
That must have been fun. Gotta watch dem tings. Just have to get use to what falls off and when, I never had that many problems btw. Use red locktite...

You might want to look at the motor mount bolts, they get loose from the vibration. It was the perfect booze-runner. Glad it's still being used for the same thing.

Here's a shot of it right after I built it, with its sister.
Here's the fancy new aircleaner. Pellet can, screen repair kit and chopped up dirt bike air filter.aircleaner.jpg
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:57 PM   #8
colb
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2
Default

Thanks for the advice. I've had the 230 for about a year and it just can't handle too much of the rough stuff. I had tried a XR 400 honda and it was extremely hard to crank. ( kick, kick, kick..........) The electric start is something that grows on you. What do you think about a CRF 250 R? I know it's a four stroke.
colb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:15 PM   #9
sfcdjevans
Registered Member
 
sfcdjevans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 43.47N-76.48W
Posts: 956
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Here's the fancy new aircleaner. Pellet can, screen repair kit and chopped up dirt bike air filter.Attachment 284
Whether or not images open up is a hit and miss affair. 50% or more of the time I'm prompted to log in again. Anybody got any ideas?
__________________
3425 miles from Reading, UK
Why their heads on a pike of course. If I thought it would do any good.
sfcdjevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 03:34 PM   #10
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

 
mscuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Next to my still checkin the temp.
Posts: 5,447
Default

"Here's the fancy new aircleaner"

...oooh, trick. I like the multi-colored effect, looks like a 60's Citron aircleaner.
__________________
A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.
mscuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off