Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 11-19-2007, 11:28 AM   #1
bebopredux
Registered Member

Default Advice needed for "mid-life" bike

OK, I am not going through some mid-life thing, I rode in my early teens until I was 22. I rode a lot of dirt and then rode a Suzuki GT550 for 2 years. I put some 20,000 miles on that bike (which I loved back then).

But, I've always had the jones for a bike. Every spring. You know the feeling.

I have read and looked at a LOT of bikes. Oh man, I love them all but, change my mind every day about which one to get!

I LOVE the KTM Adventure 990 but, wonder about if I can really enjoy this at the age of 52 now.

I love Harley's too. I never wanted to be in the "club" of them but, the new FatBob is very nice.

I also love the Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe. I sat on one and was very impressed with how much bike you get. I sat in a BMW GS 1200 but, man, that's a big bike. I love the Buell Ulysses too.

I live in Maine. The roads are less than ideal. I want something that handles them (hence the Adventure thing) but, I want to be able to take my wife out for a ride too.I feel that the new Kawasaki Versys is nice but, I'd want something a bit faster after awhile. The Suzuki V-Strom 650 impresses me too but....

Hey, any advice appreciated. I know there are sooooo many bikes and I love them all. I love the Moto Guzzi Norge, the Yamaha Raider is VERY nice looking as well. I am very much in love with the British Twins. If they made a (as rumors swirl about it) bigger sized twin I'd be all over it. Love the Triumphs. But, really, you can get the underpowered Bonny's or the brutish Rockets. Wish there was a nice 1200 or so twin! Confused yet? So am I. Help me!!

Last edited by bebopredux : 11-19-2007 at 11:32 AM.
bebopredux is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2007, 01:02 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Well, don't solicit advice from Ken, or you'll NEVER decide on a Moto.............
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:12 PM   #3
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebopredux View Post

I LOVE the KTM Adventure 990 but, wonder about if I can really enjoy this at the age of 52 now.
Good grief. You're just rotting away aren't you.

Look, get the bike that turns you on. Quit worrying about how blankety old you are. I'm older than YOU and I never let my age stop me. And no OTHER committed rider would either.

My advice is to find something that does what you need, period.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:27 PM   #4
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Yeah, um...52 isn't old anymore. Besides, there was a KLR owner on here for a while that was in his late 70s.

Last we heard from him; he was attempting to tow a boat with his KLR. Haven't heard from him since...
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:59 PM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

What's wrong with you? I'm 59 and I am jonesing for a Tiger or a Speed Triple. Currently riding a ZRX100, GL1100, 700Magna and a DR400. What's holding you up? Go for a Ducati GT1000.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Those "underpowered" Brittish twins are more fun than a pillow case full of puppies, a Trebuche`, a large piece of plywood and a gallon of paint, a 2 in. horse hide brush, a "bullseye" stencil, a keg of decent Amber Ale, a few gallons of gasoline and a book of matches!!!!!

To be honest I think your best bet would be the 650 WeeStrom...650's today are much more powerful then they were a few years ago. I think you'll be surprised.

The next bike I get will be along the lines of a Vstrom or Ulysses

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 11-19-2007 at 02:22 PM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:11 PM   #7
Gluge
Registered Member

Bikes can handle more than the reviewers would lead you to believe. You don't need a 990 Adventurer just because the roads are less than ideal. A sport bike with springs that aren't too stiff would be fine on any thing that could be called a paved road. I've actually ridden my RS250 on a 5 mile fire road and it was just fine. (I know your not looking for that type of bike but just as an example)

Secondly your only too old if you think you are. My father is in his 70's he's racing motorcycles and goes on 8 hour rides on a bike most old people would say they couldn't even ride a mile (RS250)
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:25 PM   #8
bebopredux
Registered Member

Oh, I really don't think I'm too old. Really, it's more to do with the time that has elapsed since my last bike. I've ridden a few. Rode my friend's loaded ElectraGlide and liked it but, it was just too mammoth for me. Trying to turn it around in the driveway was nerve racking!

See, my back is not in the best shape (degenerative disc disease) so, I'll not be doing any whoops or berms. But, I do love the idea of the Versys. If it were a bit bigger I'd like it. But, I do want something along the lines of the Adventure. I like the idea of adding luggage, and the overall less-bulkiness compared to the GS1200. Then again, I have grown fond of the Yamaha cruisers too (dealer nearby). I don't know, I'm going to get something for sure. Appreciate all the advice here.
bebopredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:44 PM   #9
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebopredux View Post
Oh, I really don't think I'm too old. Really, it's more to do with the time that has elapsed since my last bike. I've ridden a few. Rode my friend's loaded ElectraGlide and liked it but, it was just too mammoth for me. Trying to turn it around in the driveway was nerve racking!

See, my back is not in the best shape (degenerative disc disease) so, I'll not be doing any whoops or berms. But, I do love the idea of the Versys. If it were a bit bigger I'd like it. But, I do want something along the lines of the Adventure. I like the idea of adding luggage, and the overall less-bulkiness compared to the GS1200. Then again, I have grown fond of the Yamaha cruisers too (dealer nearby). I don't know, I'm going to get something for sure. Appreciate all the advice here.
Bigger? It was said earlier, don't sell current 650's short. Unless of course you're some type of behemoth.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:35 PM   #10
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Well, don't solicit advice from Ken, or you'll NEVER decide on a Moto.............
That's ridiculous. Everyone knows that the perfect motorcycle for this man is a gently used Kawasaki Concours 1000. I'm thinking silver, pehaps with some nice accessories like a fork brace, Rifle fairing, and Corbin seat with backrest. If he could find a bike with around 30,000 miles for under $1,300, say, I dunno, $1,200, he'd be all set. He'd get the power he needs to make it fun, the comfortable and low seat, lots of storage in the quick detaching saddlebags, and plenty of protection from that cold Northern weather with the Connie's generous full fairing. If only there were such a bike for him...if only...

YOU BUY MY BIKE NOW! YOU CLAZY YOU NO BUY MY BIKE TODAY!!!!