Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 11-20-2007, 05:58 AM   #41
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
I sure don't. At 35 it's pretty comfortable at about 5500 rpm.

It is a sweet little bike. Rip it at 13k and it just sings! I like it as much as I like my 599. And with the new Pilot Powers, it turns like a dream.
True enough. The whole silly discussion came about when someone suggested that riding around at 10K rpm isn't a big deal and is very relaxing.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2007, 06:02 AM   #42
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

What turns people away from high revs is that the motor is screaming underneath you. Maybe you don't think so, but for the vast majority a bike turning 3.5K feels more relaxed than one turning 10K at the same speed. I guess if you like turning those kind of revs going nowhere, more power to ya. I find it annoying, especially if the bike is piped. I know some people that like to sleep on beds of nails and listen to nails across a chalkboard for relaxation, so who am I to judge.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:30 AM   #43
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
What turns people away from high revs is that the motor is screaming underneath you. Maybe you don't think so, but for the vast majority a bike turning 3.5K feels more relaxed than one turning 10K at the same speed. I guess if you like turning those kind of revs going nowhere, more power to ya. I find it annoying, especially if the bike is piped. I know some people that like to sleep on beds of nails and listen to nails across a chalkboard for relaxation, so who am I to judge.
When I'm just riding somewhere at an even speed, like traveling on the freeway I usually run in high gear because it gets the best mileage and it's less fatiguing. Is this gearing down and riding everywhere at 8-10K rpm some new sort of fad? I guess I could ride my Zrex in second gear and turn 9K at 75mph instead. With the Yoshimura exhaust I'll bet it'll be a real treat for every one around me who will later remember motorcyclists fondly at election time or when their kid wants to get one.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:11 PM   #44
Gluge
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I see. Seems like it's more the noise of a loud exhaust. I have a stock exhaust on my RS250 and I believe it's actually quieter at 9k than it is at 4k. It's a very quiet bike though, at idle I can't even hear it with my helmet on, when I first got it I kept having to look at the tach at a stop because I thought it had died.

I rode a stock GSXR-750 some and it didn't seem that loud though I guess I might not have reved it out thought since first goes to like 80 mph.
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:02 PM   #45
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

My Holeshot'd Bandit sounds nice and quiet doing 70 at 4 or 5 k, at 7 or 8 k it sounds pretty crisp. If I wanted to ride around in the upper rev ranges I'd never get it out of 1st

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:18 AM   #46
slowestrider
Registered Member

"...The astute Ulrich took a step of spring preload out of both ends of my bike and reduced the fork’s new high-speed compression damping circuit. The result was a bike that now responded perfectly..."

How much do you weight?
slowestrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:07 AM   #47
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Sarnali weighs 165lbs with 6% body fat. He's pretty much a young Errol Flynn. When he's not designing fashionable men's wear he can be seen riding across the country fighting forest fires.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:29 AM   #48
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"He's pretty much a young Errol Flynn. "

On Steroids?
Old 02-08-2008, 02:55 PM   #49
slowestrider
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
Sarnali weighs 165lbs with 6% body fat. He's pretty much a young Errol Flynn. When he's not designing fashionable men's wear he can be seen riding across the country fighting forest fires.
Was Sarnali test rode the bike or was Kevin Duke test rode the bike? Or Sarnali is the same as Kevin Duke? I am new here as you can see.

The reason I am asking about the weight is the 08 has very stiff suspension. I too weight between 165 to 170 lbs. I read some were the front shock has over .9 kg/mm springs and the rear has over 10.0 kg/mm shock. That seems to be too stiff for my weight. The test rider mentioned backing off 1 step on both end and decreased hi-comp rates. It would be great to find out how much the test rider weight to gauge where I need to upgrade suspension soon. Thanks.
slowestrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:24 PM   #50
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowestrider View Post
"...The astute Ulrich took a step of spring preload out of both ends of my bike and reduced the fork’s new high-speed compression damping circuit. The result was a bike that now responded perfectly..."

How much do you weight?
I weigh 145 w/o gear. But more important is where the preload started out. When it comes to suspension, the first thing you must do is set the proper amount of sag by adjusting the spring preload. Adjusting compression or rebound damping without having your sag properly set is a waste of time. Check out RaceTech.com for a good explanation of how to set sag.

The point I was making with my comment in the article was the R6's suspension responded well to adjustments.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote