Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 11-16-2007, 12:14 PM   #21
SmokeU
Registered Member

Nice bike.

Though I'd rather have something I don't have to wring out like a Geo Metro 3 cylinder to get moving.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2007, 02:21 PM   #22
Gluge
Registered Member

Eh... I don't get people dislike of things will less midrange. If you want more punch just keep it a gear lower, SIMPLE

Seriously though I'm curious why don't people just keep it a gear lower then you have plenty of putter power. Seeing as the rpm drop when you shift is at the most 5k rpm ? you could always be at 10k or higher right

Or is it really that much effort to shift a little more often?
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:21 PM   #23
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Yeah, cruising around at 10K rpm is so relaxing. I mean it's like taking some Bennies and a hit on the crack pipe. Why not just cruise at 15K and forget the gearbox altogether??
Old 11-16-2007, 06:34 PM   #24
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default In fact...

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Yeah, cruising around at 10K rpm is so relaxing. I mean it's like taking some Bennies and a hit on the crack pipe. Why not just cruise at 15K and forget the gearbox altogether??

Just keep the revs up there where it hits the rev-limiter and makes that pop-pop-popping noise, that's real soothing too. In fact, just keep it in 1st gear at 16K all the time, and drill out the silencer box while you're at it....
Old 11-17-2007, 08:15 AM   #25
vermicious
Registered Member

And don't forget to burn the clutch. Nothing brings joy to my heart like watching a reservoir full of new clutch fluid go from clear to black in the first 20 minutes of riding!
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:35 AM   #26
thewall67
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
I get your point, but you seem to be missing a different one. There's plenty of softer middleweight machines that make excellent platforms for learning. In addition to the Ninja 250 and 500, there's also the Ninja 650 and Versys that are friendly and capable (not to mention the ZZR600). And that's just from Kawi. Yamaha still offers its older R6 in the form of the R6S, plus the FZ6. And Suzuki has what seems to be a good all-rounder in its new GSF650, plus its fantastic SV650. I say that the abundance of choices is what makes the current marketplace better than ever.
Agreed. I don't know why these 600 RR reviews end up in a "they suck on the street" thread. I don't hear to many saying they are the best choice for the street- I think it is a given. I read so many negative comments about RR 600's on the street that when I finally got my '03 R6 (converted to track only now) I thought it was going to go backwards when I gave it gas below 10000rpm. Turns out even a 600 on the street is fast enough from 6000rpm up to do a lot of illegal things. I put 1000 miles on it in three days I was having so much fun (new bike syndrome being a contributing factor). There are the posers who put on their backwards ball cap and shorts and head to the beach on them. There's no lack of annoying people riding any kind of bike. Lots of good mid-displacement geared for the street bikes to choose from that Kevin mentioned. Can't wait for the new Triumph Street Triple...Anyway, I like everything about this R6 for track. It's fun to ride a 600's power band. Fun to make up time in the corners on the bigger bikes to try to hold them off on the straigts. Much more interesting (and less nerve wracking) than blazing around on a 1000 never getting out of 2nd gear. I spend my summers trying to get as much time in at the track as possible so I'm always excited to hear what the manufacturers are doing with the race repli's. Interesting stats Yamaha put up on how much track time the R6 is seeing.

Last edited by thewall67 : 11-17-2007 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Can't spell...
thewall67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:37 PM   #27
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Any bike is a death rocket if you make it such. Displacement just determines how many pieces are scattered and how long a distance they are scattered.
Good one.

While they are surely not beginner bikes, the 600s run smooth and well at lower rpm, only becoming monsters beyond 10,000 rpm. They handle sharply at any speed. They are bikes than can grow with a rider, if the rider has the brains to use only the power their skill level can handle.

I ride an FZ-1. It is nice to be able to thrust around at casual rpm, and, on the rare occasion out in the wide open spaces, let her rip a bit. Here in high elevation thin air Colorado, a 600 would be just too much frenetic revving and gear changing work. It is nice to have surge ahead power at 8,000 feet and 5,000 rpm, so it is a liter bike for me!
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:07 AM   #28
daveinewoodland
Registered Member

Default One of the best not even mentioned in this review

I feel it is a great over sight not to mention the Triumph Daytona 675 at all in the list. Since it has just about stepped on every other brand for the last 2 years and earned the World's best sport bike award for 2007 it must be more then an oversight.

I get the feeling the reviewing was intentional on this since you would have to be living in a cave not to be familiar with this bike in this industry. Lame review for this omission.
daveinewoodland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:11 AM   #29
daveinewoodland
Registered Member

I forgot to mention if you want a bike that can cruise without wringing it out the Triumph is it. I've had mine since Feb and there are no problems with low-mid or high end, it's happy pretty much anywhere from 1K to 14K..Ride one and you'll be enlightened.
daveinewoodland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:51 AM   #30
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Yes, how thoughtless of Yamaha not to have provided a Triumph 675 at the track to completely blow-away their new R6 in comparison. Next thing you know, they'll be making claims that the new R6 is the best Japanese Supersport in the World for the track or something.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote