Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 10-13-2009, 09:11 AM   #11
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Kirk, I'll call you a little later; work has reared it's ugly head again. Pesky job...

About the number of bikes: the storage place I'm in has at least a dozen bikes I've seen going in and out at various times. There were a bunch more, but when Public Storage bought out the original owners, they changed access from 24X7 to 6 to 9; at which time a lot of people left.

Your layout is exactly the type of thing I was thinking of. I was also thinking having a mechanic set up on-site to do small to medium size jobs (for a small concession fee, of course) would go well.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-13-2009, 09:15 AM   #12
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Ace, I'm not sure your idea would work at least here in Chicago. Every dealer here stores bikes for as little a $50 a month, and they do get lots of bikes. the Honda dealer near me usually has at least 150 bikes in the warehouse area. They are already paying for their space though, and I don't think this venture would be too profitable if you have to have a warehouse to do ONLY that. If you lived in the warehouse you might turn a dime, but it would probably be empty for 6 or 8 months out of the year, and that would make things tough. I don't know anyone in the Chicagoland area that just stores bikes. Maybe there is one, but I haven't heard of them. I have no idea how New York works, just Chicago.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:18 AM   #13
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Maybe you could do a combo meth lab/bike storage deal.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:41 AM   #14
acecycleins
Founding Member

In Chicago I would think this would be a great idea. Ken hit on an idea that I was kicking around of having a few wrench's (on their dime- like rental stations in a barbershop) and having Kim's hotdog stand running. I think that the price of $50 is reasonable, but that's where volume comes in. Like I said- you'll need at least 200 bikes monthly to pull numbers that will pay the staff (me and two other people) and the bills. It'd be secured with camaras and electronics, but I think that if you have a person work overnight it'd be possible to have 24/7 access. Their job would be security and janitorial. The evening guy would do general office and security. My job would be to manage and market it. I was thinking, Miami, Atlanta, Charlotte, Baltimore or the DC area, Cincinnati, Philly, Buffalo, Chicago, Dallas and maybe Indy would be the first markets. Turn it into a franchise, of sorts. Make the model using two cities and expand from there using the franchise route. Atlanta would be obvious because I am moving nowhere. And Cincy or Chicago would be my up north experiment. I actually have guy that owns a warehouse that might allow us to start that's off Marietta St in Atlanta for a cut of the return instead of rent. If it works then we can move forward.

Last edited by acecycleins : 10-13-2009 at 09:43 AM.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #15
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

He's packing a pistol and mop. Get the FU<K out of his way.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:33 PM   #16
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
He's packing a pistol and mop. Get the FU<K out of his way.
Someone's gotta keep the place tidy. Since I'll be the brains of the operation I can confidently say it's not gonna be me.