Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 11-06-2007, 08:55 AM   #1
TheFox
Founding Member

Default US DOT Plan to reduce motorcycle fatalties

http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/DOT...40-report2.pdf

Link above is to an October 2007 report titled "U.S. Department of Transportation Action Plan to Reduce Motorcycle Fatalities". The report is dated October 2007, so get educated on what the government wants to do and talk to the AMA.

Let the helmet law flame thread commence.

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2007, 09:23 AM   #2
pplassm
Founding Member

Interesting. It looks amazingly insightful and well-written. Am I missing something?
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:43 AM   #3
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

AH HAH! Did I see the United Nations in there somewhere? Another plot to take over our freedom to death and dismemberment. And what about all the brake legislation? They obviously never rode an old Jawa...intersting study though, I'll print it up and line the parakete cage later...
Old 11-06-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

And when they implement all their bull$hit and it still doesn't meet their "goals", which I can assure you with 100% accuracy that it won't, then what? Britain is already experiencing the largest increase in deaths in years, and they already have helmets, tiered licensing, and just about every other 'safety' law in place. What is next on the agenda? Speed limiters and possibly banning? Britain is already considering these things. People can already wear a helmet and take classes and buy ABS bikes. Why worry about the ones that don't? It's no skin off anyone's ass if I die, so the DOT should worry about cagers that kill us rather than us. It will be lots more productive.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Since 80% of all motorcycle fatalities occur within the first 90 days of ownership, the DOT need only ban riding newly purchased bikes until the 91st day. It makes perfect sense.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:00 AM   #6
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Since 80% of all motorcycle fatalities occur within the first 90 days of ownership, the DOT need only ban riding newly purchased bikes until the 91st day. It makes perfect sense.
And since most accidents occur near your home, the DOT shoudl require us to park our bikes at least 20 miles from home.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:21 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

It's not the study. It's what the safety thugs are going to do with it that's the worry.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:38 PM   #8
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

It's interesting that the DOT calls their future efforts to "improve" motorcycling "countermeasures." That's a warm glow right there.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:48 PM   #9
Gluge
Registered Member

What the F*** ? Why can't we get competent statistitions?
Why are they doing citing deaths per registered vehicle?

Should be looking at deaths per mile. One conclution I draw that they did not - week days are much more dangerous than weekends. If you notice they say twice as many death occur on the week days compared to week days. I think we can safely assume the miles ridden on weekend days are much higher than double the miles ridden on weekdays. So I say weekdays are much more dangerous, probably the added traffic on the roads most motorcyclists are riding on compared to the more empty roads they ride on on the weekends.
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:28 PM   #10
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default With Apologies to George O

“You just got on your motorcycle and rode away? That doesn’t make sense, Grampa. How did you get past the end of the block without having your CTR transponder activated?”

“Frankie, motorcycles didn’t have Clearance To Ride transponders back then. You didn’t have to file a Ride Plan, and you didn’t have to get anybody’s ok to ride where you wanted to. You just rode.”

“But, how did you know conditions were going to be safe to ride without DOT checking for you? What if there was ice or water on the road? What if there was heavy traffic or construction?”

“Well, the rider of the bike was supposed to be able to handle those kinds of things. We might have found any of those conditions out there, but we managed.”

“Even so, you’d still have to spend at least 45 minutes getting your GBHP, TPA, AJEGs, RASs, NRS, and HMICM on and connected. What, you just wore street clothes and jackets? You didn't strap in?”

“Actually, yes. We didn’t have to wear a Gary Busey Head Protection System, or a Torso Protection Armor, or Anti-Joint Extension Guards, Rider Attachment Straps, or even put the Human Motorcycle Interface Capability Monitor needles in. In fact, in some places, you didn’t even have to wear a helmet!”

“Oh yeah, riiiight…like any kind of vehicle is going to let you just start it up and drive it away if you’ve had a beer or smoked anything. What, you want me to believe they let YOU decide if you were ok to drive? As if…”

“Yeah, it’s true. Of course, if you made a bad decision, you were in really big trouble, but you got to decide for yourself. In fact, the Police Integrated Ground Surveillance System didn’t even exist.”

“NO PIGSS?! NO WAY!”

“Yep. And if you were foolish enough to try it, you could keep your motorcycle running even if the cops wanted you to stop. They didn’t have the Dump Button until, what, ’09, I think it was.”

“But that’s crazy! People just going where they wanted to, when they wanted to, how they wanted to? Next you’re going to tell me people actually had their own motorcycles instead of leasing them from DOT.”

“Well, this might be hard to understand, but at one time, people thought that having the freedom to make their own decisions was more important than eliminating any possibility of risk.”

“Huh? Grampa, what’s a risk?”