Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   help a old man out... (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/6704-help-old-man-out.html)

Rolllrock33 11-03-2007 10:17 AM

Help out a old man with his first bike

ok here is the Deal I am 33 years old, 6 foot and 250 lbs and looking for a Standard bike. I was looking at 2008 Bandit 1250 or the SV650 or FZ6 mabye a Honda 599 or 919. I guess my real question is being that my only experiance is on a 50 cc honda about 15 years ago I am not sure what the best Weight/Size/ CC is best for me to get myslef into.. I dont want to kill myslef but I also dont want to buy a new bike in one years time either..

seruzawa 11-03-2007 10:47 AM

I usually suggest a light easy handling bike for a first bike. Your size person would easily handle a dual purpose bike like a Suzuki DR650 or the DRZ400. Maybe the Kawasaki KLR650. You can find them used and sell them back off in a year after you've gotten your feet wet again and you won't lose any money. Or, like many people, you keep the DP bike because they are so versatile. They are also great in traffic, simple, easily maintained and get good mileage.

Most important is to take the beginner's safety class and invest in a helmet and armored jacket and pants.

Rolllrock33 11-03-2007 10:48 AM

help a old man out...

ok here is the Deal I am 33 years old, 6 foot and 250 lbs and looking for a Standard bike. I was looking at 2008 Bandit 1250 or the SV650 or FZ6 mabye a Honda 599 or 919. I guess my real question is being that my only experiance is on a 50 cc honda about 15 years ago I am not sure what the best Weight/Size/ CC is best for me to get myslef into.. I dont want to kill myslef but I also dont want to buy a new bike in one years time either..

Rolllrock33 11-03-2007 10:56 AM

thanks for a quick Reply.

bobafart 11-03-2007 05:27 PM

I am the same age, height (g'4") and weight. But I am a motorcycle noob.

I was recommended the Ninja but I don't think I would foot.

What's a good bike for someone my size and who is a noob (I am only commuting to work -- streets and highways). And I want to buy used.

The_AirHawk 11-03-2007 06:46 PM

I concur with Seruzawa on this one - take the MSF course, see if Motorcycling is really for you - then look at the bikes he suggests. Because of your size, a 250cc bike may be a bit too light in the "go" department for you.

While I myself have an FZ6 (and ride the wheels off it), I would steer you away from supersport-based bikes with the "hey, this bike ain't nothi-OHMYGODHELPMESOMEBODYPLEASE!!!!" throttle-characteristics as your "first" bike. Once you've a year or so, and some miles beneath your wheels - knock yerself out.

Being a bit older on your "entry" to the Moto-world, you may not be so susceptible to the Adrenaline-Junkie Syndrome. You also seem to have the spirit of self-preservation within you, something I myself suddenly discovered sometime around age 29..........

If I'd bought my FZ6 as a first bike, I'd probably have splattered myself all over some immovable object. Not that I never speed, or twist the throttle on occasion - but my first car was a 383 Roadrunner that I wouldn't hesitate to race at the drop of a hat. A supersport or literbike would have killed me, had I owned one instead at the time.

The_AirHawk 11-03-2007 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobafart (Post 172785)
What's a good bike for someone my size and who is a noob (I am only commuting to work -- streets and highways). And I want to buy used.

See the other thread with this same subject.

Gluge 11-03-2007 07:08 PM

Would this be your first bike? get a ninja 500! I'm telling you it will be plenty of bike. If you will not get that.. I'd say SV650

SquareTire 11-04-2007 05:14 AM

Lean towards bigger bike

For your size- if your sensible rider- and not intimidated- I'd get the big bandit. The weight will take a little getting used to however. I know I started small- I'm a short light guy and started with a ninja 250- great bike , but i had to move up -- and up- and I'm not sure I couldn't have started out on my present bike right away (Kaw Z750)-- been a lot cheaper.

fumanchu 11-04-2007 09:17 AM

"I guess my real question is being that my only experiance [sic] is on a 50 cc honda about 15 years ago..."

unconditionally enroll yourself in an msf course before you delve further into motorcycles. you'll learn some necessary skills to help you stay safe on the road, get to skip your motorcycle licensing exam, and possibly learn what kind of bike you might want to purchase next. :)

"...I am not sure what the best Weight/Size/ CC is best for me to get myslef [sic] into I dont want to kill myslef [sic]..."

all hail the kawasaki novice's triumvirate: Vulcan 500, Ninja 500, KLR 650. you will be able to find all of these used at bargain prices, and even new they are all about $5k.

"...but I also dont [sic] want to buy a new bike in one years time either..."

you can spend a few seasons gathering skills on a 500-ish bike, upgrading it and customizing it to your individual tastes. many people prematurely trade up to a larger displacement bike after they just feel confident that they're not going to kill themselves on their previous one - not only after they've tapped the "learner bike" for all the skills that it could impart. fashion consumerism.

cheers