Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 11-01-2007, 06:29 AM   #11
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
(I'm ignoring AirHawk; you should too.)

Bob - not really. A scooter, with the foot-forward floorboards, is pretty unique. I can't think of any bikes that have a similar setup. That said, there are some pretty hunky scooters out there, such as the Suzuki Burgman or some of the larger Honda scooters. They can easily keep up on freeways and in fact are good long distance machines. so you have some interesting options, if you look around.
Isn't the Honda SilverWing a scooterish motorcycle? Or is it a motorcyclish scooter? There was a good review of the Suzi Burgman versus the Yamaha thingy too. The MoFos rode 'em right up the coast of Callifornica if I recall correctly.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2007, 07:17 AM   #12
pplassm
Founding Member

The problem with the bigger scooters is, you still need a motorcycle license.

Bite the bullet and take the MSF course. Get a license!
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:05 PM   #13
ejis
Founding Member

The Honda PC800 is pretty much a scooter... Good luck finding one though. And it's probably not a great first bike anyway. Just get a scooter, but take the MSF course (at least) anyway.
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:19 PM   #14
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Downtown where? How long of a commute? How far on the freeway/expresway? This kind of information would make it much easier to give a decent recommendation.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:22 PM   #15
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejis View Post
The Honda PC800 is pretty much a scooter... Good luck finding one though. And it's probably not a great first bike anyway. Just get a scooter, but take the MSF course (at least) anyway.
Yes, the PC is the MOST INOFFENSIVE Scooter ever designed by Man..........

I've a friend with the most pristine example of a '97 you've ever seen, that I keep trying to get him to sell to me.

I've almost got him worn-down.

That thing is a Chick Magnet, for sure. I can't WAIT to get laid once I take posession.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 11-01-2007 at 04:25 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:18 PM   #16
Gluge
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafart View Post
are there no bikes which are "scooterish" but still bikes?
Get a Ninja 250 - it's only 30 hpr or so good enough for the freeway if you ever want to use it there.

There are actually several benefits to a motorcycle over a scooter:

1. Bigger wheels handle pot holes and bumps better
2. More suspension travel again better ride over bumps.
3. Less unsprung weight vs sprung since on the scooter the engine is typically unsprung weight.
4. more even front rear weight distribution
5. better all round performance.

While many people might point out bennifits of a scooter over a bike - insurance costs, licence requirements - storage space.

Some of those can be lessed or fixed. Getting a ninja 250 and your insurance shouldn't be bad especially on a used one I was paying $85/year for my 500. For storage I think a bike with saddle bags, tank bag and rear truck can probably carry more than any scooter. Problem is you can't be afriad to do some welding or fabing to get saddle bags or a tail trunk on your race replica - my father even put a tail trunk on his RS250 2-stroke.
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:10 AM   #17
gowings96
Registered Member

Bikes are addictive. Once you get one, you are ready to stay on it. Plan for it. I got a scooter and couldn't wait to trade up. I got an old 750 and still wanted more bike. Now I have a V Star, love it, but will probably buy a sport bike too for unwinding. Unless you are positive you won't want more bike, think about something you'll feel good about jumping on every day when you go to work. For me, it's the best part of my work day.
gowings96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:52 AM   #18
vermicious
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
(I'm ignoring AirHawk; you should too.)

Bob - not really. A scooter, with the foot-forward floorboards, is pretty unique. I can't think of any bikes that have a similar setup. That said, there are some pretty hunky scooters out there, such as the Suzuki Burgman or some of the larger Honda scooters. They can easily keep up on freeways and in fact are good long distance machines. so you have some interesting options, if you look around.
If you have the dollars there are also some attractive italian scooters in the same size/class. Personally the Burgman (and similar scooters) look hideous to me.
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:59 AM   #19
vermicious
Registered Member

The other thing you might consider (if you can wait for it) is the Aprilia Mana which has under the "tank" storage for (odd for a standard bike layout) and uses a CVT (automatic) gear box.
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:06 AM   #20
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default Get the d@mn scooter- already!

Nothing wrong with them. Biggest issue is your budget. Personally, I'd stay with the "original" scooter- VESPA. Any number of their models will probably fit the bill. If you want modern- buy a used Honda Silverwing. Either way, go get your learner's permit and sign up for a MSF course- you'll be glad you did.

Kirk