Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 11-01-2007, 07:14 AM   #11
pplassm
Founding Member

I'll back up what everybody else is saying about back issues. I thought my back was fine until I rode my brother's Triumph Adventurer. The bolt upright seating posture shot every bump directly up mu lumbar region.

I much prefer the slightly forward posture of standard bikes. Or even sport bikes.

Remember this when buying an older bike. Bikes usually don't wear out, they die of negelect.

If prices in N. Idaho are like they are around here, it's buyin' time!
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2007, 08:59 AM   #12
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

If I were in your situation, I'd buy a used Ninja 500 (which has a standard riding position), and then sell it when I decided to buy a new bike. You could look for a Vulcan 500, which is the "cruiser" version of the Ninja 500, but it's not going to be as heavy a bike as an Aero or its equivalent. If you're buying used, you should be able to take test rides on any bike you like, so do that and just pick the one you like best.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:12 AM   #13
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I was thinking the Ninja 500 would be perfect also. Cheap to buy, easy to ride, and easy to sell.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:25 PM   #14
Gluge
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I was thinking the Ninja 500 would be perfect also. Cheap to buy, easy to ride, and easy to sell.

+1 on the Ninja 500 really it's almost the perfect all round motorcycle in my book. I had a 1991 put a tail trunk on it and it was a great bike!
nice I never had to worry about it either it was so cheap.

Unlike most bike with a standard riding position it has a bit of wind protection as well which might help you back. Keep in mind as you go faster say freeway speeds it's nice to have a position that has you leaning forward some to balance out the force of the wind. Leaning forward is harder on your arms and wrists in my opinion and doesn't seem to effect the back too much.

(EX500 has you leaning forward a bit)
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:43 AM   #15
vermicious
Registered Member

I had a '95 Honda Shadow VLX that was pretty comfortable. I wouldn't recommend it to the long-legged though.
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote