Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2007, 11:47 AM   #41
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default There you go again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I'm happy as a clam with my Dyna, the only performance mods I've done is a stock replacement K&N air filter and Dunlop GT501's front and rear. The exhaust is HD accessory Baloney Cuts which are EPA 80 decible, I retained the stock air box because it's a good design for keeping rain off the filter. Comfort mods include stock Dyna Wide Glide forward controls and Ape Hangers which take care of "Superglide Back" which us larger folks suffer from with low bars, and braided stainless brake lines.

Straight line acceleration up to 100 or so is good, the bike'll cruise all day in comfort at 80 or 90 and the low center of gravity make it stable as a brick. All in all a dam* fine bike and a joy to ride. There's no way I would trade it for a Japanese knock-off, in fact I traded my last one for a new Bonneville, and though I enjoyed the Bonnie I traded it back after less than a year for another Dyna.

To me the bare bones Dyna and Sportsters are the ccolest bikes on the road, so far I've owned 6 of them with an FLH thrown in for good measure. I don't think Harley's are the be-all and end-all of motorcycling, I enjoy riding my 1200S Bandit just as much but when it comes to V-Twin Harleys the only one I'd look at. The Japanese could gold plate their cruisers and to me they would still be Knock-offs of the real thing.

I'd love to have a new Concours and if I wasn't so well marbled I'd have a 1000 GSXR to play with but for what I do, after 30 some bikes and 40 years of riding Harley's what I keep coming back to.

Is that brand loyalty or just scratching an itch?
... basing your opinion on decades of actual riding rather than lurking on motorcycle websites and reading magazines. What's the world coming to?
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2007, 11:53 AM   #42
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

All that just proves what a sick individual you really are.
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:58 AM   #43
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
All that just proves what a sick individual you really are.

You wanna know sick?????

I'm in bed with my sister right now heh heh heh
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:49 PM   #44
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
You wanna know sick?????

I'm in bed with my sister right now heh heh heh
You really are a Democrat.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:53 PM   #45
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

Dam* right, we'll f*ck anyone....
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:15 PM   #46
vermicious
Registered Member
 
vermicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I understand your point, but I think that there is nothing inherently wrong with having brand loyalty. Once you've developed a history with a product and know what to expect from it, there can be great value in leveraging that experience.
I agree... until it elevates to the level of religious fervor.
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:05 PM   #47
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermicious View Post
I agree... until it elevates to the level of religious fervor.
There is little worse than religion. It almost always gets in the way of a relationship with God.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:46 AM   #48
anrajala
Founding Member
 
anrajala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,490
Default

Sure old HDs are highly valuated because there are lots of guys like you attached emotionally to the brand. There is no shame in valuating stuff emotionally (women do this with most of the things). But if that shovelhead of yours carried Yamaha logo, you’d suddenly turn rational - click - and you'd see immediately what it actually is: unreliable underperforming piece of junk. In fact it was POS even when new.

If people buy into this “original”, “legend” and “heritage” stuff and feel attached to a corporation run by MBA’s concerned only in maximizing the quarterly profits, its totally fine by me.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:20 AM   #49
anrajala
Founding Member
 
anrajala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,490
Default

>I think that there is nothing inherently wrong with having brand loyalty.

There is nothing inherently wrong in having brand loyalty, but certainly it is unrational. When you set to yourself some artificial principle “I’ll only buy Volvos”, or some such BS, you voluntarily switch off the critical part of the brain on that topic. In other words you become an idiot who can’t make rational choices any more.

The most pathological case is some dipstick saying (proudly, usually): I am a republican/democrat, our family has always been since whatever great grandfather . In other words this bozo has given up his political choices to some long gone dude whose biggest intellectual achievement was to learn to drive a tractor.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:29 AM   #50
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrajala View Post
Sure old HDs are highly valuated because there are lots of guys like you attached emotionally to the brand. There is no shame in valuating stuff emotionally (women do this with most of the things). But if that shovelhead of yours carried Yamaha logo, you’d suddenly turn rational - click - and you'd see immediately what it actually is: unreliable underperforming piece of junk. In fact it was POS even when new.

If people buy into this “original”, “legend” and “heritage” stuff and feel attached to a corporation run by MBA’s concerned only in maximizing the quarterly profits, its totally fine by me.

- cruiz-euro
Sometimes the machine is greater than the sum of it's parts. Nobody that I know is "attached" to the HD corporate entity, but as you admit, their products are highly valued. There is value in over a century of producing quality machines. (I'll argue that HD's quality is as good as or better than any bike out there all day long) There is value in a product that is handed down from a father to a son. There is value in a product that is arguably the most copied, cloned, duplicated, or emulated machine in the world. There is value in a machine that is worth double today what was paid for it over ten years ago.

There is no doubt that the corporate weenies at HD take great advantage of and exploits the "original, legend, heritage," perception of their products, but they wouldn't be able to do that if there wasn't some basis in truth for it. Ducati and BMW do the same thing, to a lesser degree, and I'll bet the Japanese would if they could. Actually, looking at the "retro" products they're pouring out, they already are.

If you don't see motorcycles as more than numbers on a chart or price points in a comparo, then, IMHO, you're missing a lot.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off