Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2007, 05:56 AM   #31
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrajala View Post
Don’t know about life but Shovelhead couldn’t certainly be better. Its the culmination point of motorcycle engineering. Whatever criteria you use: reliability, performance, handling, braking, you name it, after all these years it is still the benchmark of the industry.

Yamaha, for example, used it as a design objective when designing the Rider. They wheeled in a -82 FLH shovelhead (they needed six guys because the rear wheel had locked for some reason) and, after applying some plastic sheets on the floor for oil leaks and getting the fire distinguisher ready, Elton John playing in the background, all them thousands of engineers in white coats started the wave.

- cruiz-euro

Too bad Yamaha for example, although you could use any Japanese company name here, spent the last 30 years copying the company that made that crappy design. Funny that eh? Yamaha even went so far to make a whole nother company specifically designed to copy that crappy company. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and that Japanese flatter Harley every day. My shytty old Shovel is still worth about 10 times what any old Yamaha is worth, and you can't even find one Shovel in a junkyard, so you are right again genius. The Shovel is a classic, which is something no Yamaha will ever be.
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2007, 06:03 AM   #32
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

The thing that's really got me wondering here is why is a video on the Yamaha "offshoot" (snicker) Star cruiser being sponsored by Kawasaki?
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:54 AM   #33
bowtydaddy
Registered Member
 
bowtydaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Tarpley, Texas
Posts: 108
Default

I have no brand loyalty. But why buy a clone when you have have the original for about the same cost. As far as performance, these things weigh over 700 lbs. Unless you're drag racing, who cares.
__________________
In the end, your social status with have about as much value as your last breath.
bowtydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:57 AM   #34
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtydaddy View Post
I have no brand loyalty. But why buy a clone when you have have the original for about the same cost. As far as performance, these things weigh over 700 lbs. Unless you're drag racing, who cares.
If you keep posting sensible things here, you are pretty much going to ruin the site. Please refrain from it in the future. Thanks.
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:07 AM   #35
bowtydaddy
Registered Member
 
bowtydaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Tarpley, Texas
Posts: 108
Default

That's funny, my soon to be ex-wife said if I had any sense I'd stay married to her.
__________________
In the end, your social status with have about as much value as your last breath.
bowtydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:10 AM   #36
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtydaddy View Post
I have no brand loyalty.
I understand your point, but I think that there is nothing inherently wrong with having brand loyalty. Once you've developed a history with a product and know what to expect from it, there can be great value in leveraging that experience.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:39 AM   #37
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default Hey wait a second...

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
If you keep posting sensible things here, you are pretty much going to ruin the site. Please refrain from it in the future. Thanks.
.... isn't the Dyna now the lightest by far of the big cruisers? It lists at 663 in "running order".
VTX 734lb dry lie.
Star 692lb dry lie.
Vulcan 750lb dry lie.

You gotta add 50 pounds to each of the Japanese bikes for actual weight. Harley wins the weight class! LOL!. Whodathunk that would ever happen? It's even lighter than Honda's "sport" tourer. Double LOL! And it's cheaper too. Triple LOL!
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:44 AM   #38
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default Excellent point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I understand your point, but I think that there is nothing inherently wrong with having brand loyalty. Once you've developed a history with a product and know what to expect from it, there can be great value in leveraging that experience.
Best post!

And I agree 100%. I always exercise the exact same level of loyalty to corporations as they do towards me. This year I have been especially expressing that level of loyalty with Honda.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:13 AM   #39
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

I'm happy as a clam with my Dyna, the only performance mods I've done is a stock replacement K&N air filter and Dunlop GT501's front and rear. The exhaust is HD accessory Baloney Cuts which are EPA 80 decible, I retained the stock air box because it's a good design for keeping rain off the filter. Comfort mods include stock Dyna Wide Glide forward controls and Ape Hangers which take care of "Superglide Back" which us larger folks suffer from with low bars, and braided stainless brake lines.

Straight line acceleration up to 100 or so is good, the bike'll cruise all day in comfort at 80 or 90 and the low center of gravity make it stable as a brick. All in all a dam* fine bike and a joy to ride. There's no way I would trade it for a Japanese knock-off, in fact I traded my last one for a new Bonneville, and though I enjoyed the Bonnie I traded it back after less than a year for another Dyna.

To me the bare bones Dyna and Sportsters are the ccolest bikes on the road, so far I've owned 6 of them with an FLH thrown in for good measure. I don't think Harley's are the be-all and end-all of motorcycling, I enjoy riding my 1200S Bandit just as much but when it comes to V-Twin Harleys the only one I'd look at. The Japanese could gold plate their cruisers and to me they would still be Knock-offs of the real thing.

I'd love to have a new Concours and if I wasn't so well marbled I'd have a 1000 GSXR to play with but for what I do, after 30 some bikes and 40 years of riding Harley's what I keep coming back to.

Is that brand loyalty or just scratching an itch?
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:44 AM   #40
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I'm happy as a clam with my Dyna, the only performance mods I've done is a stock replacement K&N air filter and Dunlop GT501's front and rear. The exhaust is HD accessory Baloney Cuts which are EPA 80 decible, I retained the stock air box because it's a good design for keeping rain off the filter. Comfort mods include stock Dyna Wide Glide forward controls and Ape Hangers which take care of "Superglide Back" which us larger folks suffer from with low bars, and braided stainless brake lines.

Straight line acceleration up to 100 or so is good, the bike'll cruise all day in comfort at 80 or 90 and the low center of gravity make it stable as a brick. All in all a dam* fine bike and a joy to ride. There's no way I would trade it for a Japanese knock-off, in fact I traded my last one for a new Bonneville, and though I enjoyed the Bonnie I traded it back after less than a year for another Dyna.

To me the bare bones Dyna and Sportsters are the ccolest bikes on the road, so far I've owned 6 of them with an FLH thrown in for good measure. I don't think Harley's are the be-all and end-all of motorcycling, I enjoy riding my 1200S Bandit just as much but when it comes to V-Twin Harleys the only one I'd look at. The Japanese could gold plate their cruisers and to me they would still be Knock-offs of the real thing.

I'd love to have a new Concours and if I wasn't so well marbled I'd have a 1000 GSXR to play with but for what I do, after 30 some bikes and 40 years of riding Harley's what I keep coming back to.

Is that brand loyalty or just scratching an itch?
Sounds like you're about ready to trade it in.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off