Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Alien Motorcyclists Among Us! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/6546-alien-motorcyclists-among-us.html)

Administrator 10-15-2007 09:54 PM

Alien Motorcyclists Among Us!

Original Article:
Alien Motorcyclists Among Us!

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Alien Motorcyclists Among Us! in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

mscuddy 10-16-2007 08:12 AM

Living amongst us!

yes, it's amazing how good some people can be, even when they're way past their prime...

Once, long ago, after recovering from ACL surgery on my left knee, I went dirt riding for the first time in months. Our destination was Red Rock Canyon, where we would meet up with the rest of our riding buddies.

One of the guys there was someone who I'd never met before, a friend of a friend, named Jim Coffey. As it turned out, Jim was an ex-support rider for Yamaha back in the days of Bob Hannah. Jim looked a little overweight, and I didn't think much of his reputation.

We were all mounted on open class bikes, Jim on a '92 CR500, and me on my trusty '87 CR500.

To make a long story (ride) short, Jim and I diced it out all day long, and had pretty much left the rest of the pack behind. Way behind. On the power line road that borders the interstate, Jim and I got into a drag race, and as it turned out, my ported CR500 was a little faster on top end, and I pulled Jim all the way down the straight whoop-free road, until it ended in some sharp corners, bordered by steep hills/cliffs.

I was feeling pretty smug with myself, hell I'd just beaten an ex factory support rider on my first ride in six months. And that's when it happened:

On the first tight left hand corner, Coffey went up the side of a steep cliff, hit the apex of the cliff, and passed me, about 40 feet in the air. He landed in the middle of the road, grabbed a handfull, and was gone.

As my jaw twacked off the tank of my CR, I could just make out his dust, as he disappeared down the snaky dirt road.

About 15 mintes later, I finally caught up with Jim, who had stopped to let me catch up. He gave me a knowing smile, booted his 500 to life, and said "let's go".

That was one of the best rides of my life. I will never forget it. Aliens indeed.

Buzglyd 10-16-2007 08:32 AM

My two favs

I think for sheer amusement, the Bike Dropper and the Battery Killer are the top o' the heap for me.

themess 10-16-2007 02:08 PM

video clips

Fred, can you post that special section of your video on You Tube?

maladg 10-17-2007 12:20 PM

Great to see Fred back on these pages!
As usual, excellent work.