Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 10-14-2007, 11:16 AM   #1
Kale
Registered Member

Default Help! How to buy a motorcycle..

My husband desperately wants a motorcycle. I have said no several times and making excuses because I would like to get one for his 25th birthday as a surprise. His birthday is in 6 months, and I know nothing about motorcycles or how to buy one. I know he wants a smaller sport bike, 250 or 500cc, just something to ride for fun. If anyone has any recommendations or could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it!
Thank you!
Kale
Kale is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2007, 11:28 AM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Better get him some good equipment too, so he makes it to his 26th birthday.

Get him a 250cc dual-sport, like an XL250. Pretty much indestructable, and when he drops it, it won't get all busted up, like a sport bike will.

Also, the mellow power of a 250cc four stroke is perfect for a new rider.

Good luck.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:28 AM   #3
vermicious
Registered Member

I'd recommend settling on a budget, blindfolding him, and bringing him to a place that sells bikes rather than trying to pick one out for him. It's a great gesture but, unless you know exactly what he wants, buying it for him may ultimately be disappointing for both of you.
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:47 AM   #4
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Vermicious has the idea. If you want to surprise him, why don't you get him some gear, such as a good leather jacket and pants (not a helmet; the fit for those is too individualized). Then take him to a shop with a decent selection of used and new bikes for him to check out.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:03 PM   #5
Gluge
Registered Member

I'd recommend a used EX500, you can find them for $1000-$1500, acceleration is roughly equal to a fast car which is helpful on the freeway etc.

Good enough for two people as well.

Look on craigslist, pay the seller to take it to a shop to get it checked out if you don't know any motorcycle ppl to help you determine if a bike is an OK buy
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:24 AM   #6
anrajala
Founding Member

Good idea, this would actually work. A leather jacket with a card in the back “plus a bike of your choice”.

But a girlfriend choosing a bike for for the guy? Imagine da man in assless chaps pulling in front of the burger barn “Where the hell did you get that Rebel?” “Er, my girlfriend bought it for me”

-cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:07 AM   #7
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default Do you have a large used bike shop by you?

Just north of Atl there is a bike shop called WOW. It's a 50,000 sq ft used bike shop. If you have something like that in your area it may be just the ticket. Keep the first bike under the $3500 range. That way when he drops it (it will happen more than once) he won't feel nearly as bad as dropping a $8000 or more bike. Suggestions:Kawasaki Ninja 250, Ninja 500, Ninja 650 (the twin),Suzuki SV 650 (it not really a beginner bike but it will last him a life time), GSF 650 (it's the Katana/Bandit replacement- also not exactly a beginner, but very durable- you'll only find them new, however), Honda 599, Buell M2 Cyclone, ANY Dual Purpose bike Honda XL, Kawasaki KLR, Suzuki DRZ bike would be great. Prices are coming down on the Suzuki DRZ400SM models. Sticky street tires and good off-road suspension. Well, that's all I have. Good luck. Happy Birthday to the guy.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:09 PM   #8
Kale
Registered Member

Default Thanks

Thanks so much for all of the help. I know I want him to pick out his own bike, I just want to know more about them and know where I should start looking so I can have an idea about what to expect and what type of gear he will need. Also, I was going to sign him up for the safety courses, so if anyone knows a good place for those in the Orlando area, that would help. Thanks for all of the recommendations!
Kale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:15 PM   #9
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale View Post
Thanks so much for all of the help. I know I want him to pick out his own bike, I just want to know more about them and know where I should start looking so I can have an idea about what to expect and what type of gear he will need. Also, I was going to sign him up for the safety courses, so if anyone knows a good place for those in the Orlando area, that would help. Thanks for all of the recommendations!
KEN!- tell the lovely lady where to find a MSF course in FL. I suggest the state funded MSF courses- they are probably cheaper.

There are bunches of bike shops in your area. Pop the phone book open- look for used sales under the Motorcycle heading and call them. Ask how any used bikes they have on the floor. Go to the one with the largest selection. Get a website address if possible- that way you can see what they advertise on line. Good Luck
Old 10-15-2007, 12:41 PM   #10
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
KEN!- tell the lovely lady where to find a MSF course in FL. I suggest the state funded MSF courses- they are probably cheaper.

There are bunches of bike shops in your area. Pop the phone book open- look for used sales under the Motorcycle heading and call them. Ask how any used bikes they have on the floor. Go to the one with the largest selection. Get a website address if possible- that way you can see what they advertise on line. Good Luck
Bruce Rossmeyer's Harley Davidson of Pompano Beach does the course every weekend. (954) 580-0501. There are other choices, but I hear great things about the instructors there.

Used bikes in FtL: there are about 5 shops along Sunrise just East of I-95 with everything imaginable for sale from scooters to choppers to 250/500 cc sport bikes. Riva Powersports at Dixie Hwy and Sample Rd has about 100 used bikes at any given time of all sizes and types.

Love to see you out there, stay in touch!