Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 10-10-2007, 10:14 AM   #11
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
"So there's no concern over the whole air cooled thing?"

No, none. I had a 650 v-star in Arizona. And the summers there tend to get a little warm.

Not directed at you personally, but why do people always get concerned about air-cooled bikes? I've always found them to be less troublesome. Less to go wrong. That's not to say I don't like water cooled bikes. I don't really have a preference, but it was more in defense of the air cooled option.
Yeah, it's weird isn't it. One of the most bullet proof motors in the world was the old Suz GSF1200 motors. You can't break it! My Yamaha XJ was reliable as they get. Never let me down. Water-cooled is nice if your commute involves 30 miles (1 hour plus) of stopped traffic, but in most cases cruiser owners never really get the true benefits of water-cooling, anyway.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2007, 10:16 AM   #12
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

The M50 also looks like they cut corners on quality sometimes. The fenders and tank look more plastic looking. And it also has Suzuki's wonderful paint schemes...which usually cheapen up a bike. In all black it looks much better. But I guess that is the case with most bikes.

Doesn't the M50 have better ground clearance/lean angle, though? I thought I read that on an article somewhere that the M50 was more "sporty"...for a cruiser at least.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:31 AM   #13
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
The M50 also looks like they cut corners on quality sometimes. The fenders and tank look more plastic looking. And it also has Suzuki's wonderful paint schemes...which usually cheapen up a bike. In all black it looks much better. But I guess that is the case with most bikes.

Doesn't the M50 have better ground clearance/lean angle, though? I thought I read that on an article somewhere that the M50 was more "sporty"...for a cruiser at least.
Cornering is better with the M50 and the Redbike looks pretty cool, but the Midnight Stars are sweet looking little rides. Also, you can get the Sivlerado version and never have to buy a thing for it.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:33 AM   #14
pplassm
Founding Member

A 750 not enough for two fairly light people? Glad I don't ride cruisers.

I remember riding 2 up from Worms to Frankfurt and back on an SR500. On the Autobahn. In the dark.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:03 AM   #15
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

It's all in what you are comfortable doing. I've heard stories of people doing two up on a 250 virago across several states and "were quite comfortable the entire trip". Me? It would have annoyed the hell out of me. I took a virago on the highway once. Sure I got it up to an indicated 85mph, but I'll be damned if I thought it was a comfortable ride. It was screaming and vibrating. I felt like a Giraffe on a hopped-up unicycle stuck in the carpool lane.

Was I really going 85? Not sure. The speedometer was probably off by just a little bit.

Last edited by BrowningBAR : 10-11-2007 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:11 AM   #16
vermicious
Registered Member

Quote:
I felt like a Giraffe on a hopped-up unicycle stuck in the carpool lane.
haha, good imagery

Quote:
Was I really going 85? Not sure. The speedometer was probably off by a just a little bit.
I've found that bike speedos tend to get increasingly inaccurate as speed rises. The speedo on my Tuono reads about 4-5 mph faster than actual speed once the 60 mph barrier is crossed.
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:14 AM   #17
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Pretty good for an Italian bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermicious View Post
haha, good imagery

I've found that bike speedos tend to get increasingly inaccurate as speed rises. The speedo on my Tuono reads about 4-5 mph faster than actual speed once the 60 mph barrier is crossed.
My Ducati ST4 was (GPS measured) 8 mph over and my GT1000 seems to be at least 10.

Makes me feel really fast though!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:34 AM   #18
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Is there any cruiser that doesn't?
Well yeah. A lot of my friends have cruisers in various sizes, and we've noticed that the 1100 cc Yamaha causes problems. One of our riders had one and had TERRIBLE issues with it. She finally sold it and bought a Vulcan that handles much, much more easily. Two other friends have or had 1100 cc Yamahas and have similar comments about it. It's just not easy to move around, and that's in comparison with other bikes.

It's far from unrideable if you are prepared to use your strength with it.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:58 AM   #19
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I included the "off by just a little bit" as a bit of sarcasm as the Virago is kind of known for being...optimistic...about it's rate of travel
Old 10-11-2007, 08:59 AM   #20
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

How is the Retro Duc? Better than you hoped? Or not?

I ask because I really want one.