Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   It's Worse Than I Thought (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/6504-its-worse-than-i-thought.html)

Kenneth_Moore 10-08-2007 07:10 AM

It's Worse Than I Thought

It appears that the anti-motorcycle trend we’ve been seeing is becoming far worse than I had imagined. Recently, a Bill has been introduced in the Florida Legislature. It is entitled: “Offenses Committed While Operating a Motorcycle.” A link to the actual bill is below, but here are the “highlights:"

1. The bill applies to anyone operating a motorcycle that is charged with reckless driving or exceeding the speed limit by more than 30 mph.

2. The bill requires the rider to be arrested and taken into custody; the officer on the scene is not allowed to use his or her judgment or discretion.

3. The motorcycle will be seized.

4. The motorcycle will be subject to forfeiture under the “ Florida Contraband Seizure Act.”

5. The motorcyclist will lose the right to ride a motorcycle for TEN years.

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sectio...7&Session=2008

This is the most blatant, outrageous piece of legislative discrimination I have ever heard of. The penalties (again, this “special treatment” is ONLY FOR MOTORCYCLISTS) exceed even the already draconian penalties for drunk driving. The Florida Contraband Seizure Act is already notorious for abuse. There are countless cases of personal property seized, which are never returned, even after the person charged is acquitted or the charges are dropped.

I have contacted the author of this outrage via email. Carlos Lopez-Cantera, [Carlos.Lopez-Cantera@myfloridahouse.gov]. He advised me that this legislation is intended:

”to address riders of high performance motorcycles that treat Florida's roads and highways as their own personal stunt track.”

The motorcycling community has a clear and present threat to our chosen hobby / sport / lifestyle. I have contacted the AMA regarding this, but they have not responded as yet. I invite you to take a moment to email this “lawmaker” and share your feelings about his contempt for motorcycling. You might say this type of discrimination has been going on for years, but it has always been done in the context of the existing traffic laws, which apply to all vehicles. I sincerely doubt motorcyclists have ever been singled out like this before, or that such an outrageous infringement on personal liberty or property rights has been considered.

BrowningBAR 10-08-2007 07:34 AM

"This is the most blatant, outrageous piece of legislative discrimination I have ever heard of."
--You obviously aren't a gun owner.

seruzawa 10-08-2007 07:58 AM

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their consciences."

Only fools thought that do-gooder petty tyrants would ever rest. So all you @ssholes who laughed at how the smokers were treated can now taste your own bitter medicine.

I take no pleasure in seeing my prediction that it would be the sportbikers who ruin our sport come true. But it's happening now.

mscuddy 10-08-2007 08:01 AM

Ha ha ha, you can thank shows like "Superbikers" for stuff like that. When the average joe polititian sees stuntaz doing, err, stuntz on the freeways and stuff, they go ape and want to ban everything from electra glides to mopeds, and start by jacking up the fines and the offenses for doing what use to be normal stuff on a motorcycle.

I reference my $900.00 wheelie in November of last year, in the wonderful burg of Burbank, Ca. Since I was sitting in a wheelchair for sentencing, I assured the DA and the judge that I wouldn't be doing any wheelies anymore. They treated my like a murderer, or a car-jacker. The DA wanted me to do some time, but gave me a break due to my condition (gee, thanks).

Wheelies use to be "exhibition of speed", but now it's "reckless driving" that will get you arrested, the bike impounded, and so many points on your license,it'll cost you $500.00 per month for full coverage insurance.

Wonder if they can write me up for doing a wheelie in my wheelchair? Have to try that...

mscuddy 10-08-2007 08:16 AM

They banned smoking cigs outside now...

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 170651)
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their consciences."

Only fools thought that do-gooder petty tyrants would ever rest. So all you @ssholes who laughed at how the smokers were treated can now taste your own bitter medicine.

I take no pleasure in seeing my prediction that it would be the sportbikers who ruin our sport come true. But it's happening now.

...in Burbank. I feel like grabbing a pack of Pall Malls and chain smoke the whole pack in front of the police station, see what happens. Maybe I can be wheeling while I smoke. Better yet, light up a giant spliff of skunk weed. Betcha the cops ignore that.

Have to wear my Vietnam Vet getup when I do it, floppy camo jungle hat and everything...

sarnali2 10-08-2007 08:23 AM

It is total discrimination both stupid and short sighted, not unlike electing a Marielito to congress, however, who am I to criticize Florida elections.

One obvious solution is not to go 30 over or generaly ride like an *******, that usually enough to keep the pigs off your back

Kenneth_Moore 10-08-2007 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 170653)
I reference my $900.00 wheelie in November of last year, in the wonderful burg of Burbank, Ca. Since I was sitting in a wheelchair for sentencing, I assured the DA and the judge that I wouldn't be doing any wheelies anymore. They treated my like a murderer, or a car-jacker. The DA wanted me to do some time, but gave me a break due to my condition (gee, thanks).

As much as I despise what happened to you, it does make the point I tried to convey to this "Legislator:" the exisiting laws are quite sufficient to deal with this issue."

BrowningBAR 10-08-2007 08:45 AM

Just remember, there are never enough laws.

Keep in mind, that if this law passes, than 5, 10, 15 years down the road it will be a jailable offense to go 25 over the speed limit, than 20, than 10, than 5. Than of course, there are the fines which will go up. Because throwing you in jail only costs money. They need to make money off of your @ss.

You are already seeing states passing laws to increase fines for speeding and minor infractions. Fully admitting that it is to increase revenue. I believe it is Virginia that is the most recent to do this. Fines range from $1,000 to $3,000, and can be applied for as minor an infraction as an improper signal, or driving 15 mph over the speed limit.

Currently it is being appealed due to it not applying to out of state drivers.

seruzawa 10-08-2007 08:55 AM

Any govt...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrowningBAR (Post 170658)
Just remember, there are never enough laws.

Keep in mind, that if this law passes, than 5, 10, 15 years down the road it will be a jailable offense to go 25 over the speed limit, than 20, than 10, than 5. Than of course, there are the fines which will go up. Because throwing you in jail only costs money. They need to make money off of your @ss.

You are already seeing states passing laws to increase fines for speeding and minor infractions. Fully admitting that it is to increase revenue. I believe it is Virginia that is the most recent to do this. Fines range from $1,000 to $3,000, and can be applied for as minor an infraction as an improper signal, or driving 15 mph over the speed limit.

Currently it is being appealed due to it not applying to out of state drivers.

... that uses it's justice function (police, courts.etc.) for the express purpose of raising revenue is a tyranny. And the people who tolerate such tyranny deserve exactly what they get.

longride 10-08-2007 08:56 AM

What absolutely floors me, is that some people that that helmet laws will keep these a$$holes off our back. Give em an inch and they will take your bike! Count on my to contact these 'officials' and let them know what I think. Join the AMA folks. It ain't too late.