Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 10-05-2007, 04:06 PM   #11
silentgrayfellow
Founding Member

what's up fellas. I like this bike, but I'll never have one. Anyway, thought I would add that even though the ZX-14 is a direct competitor to the 'Busa, the Suzuki has such a cult following and loyal customer base that this bike is sure to be a winner on the sales floor. I think Suzuki was right not to go too far astray of what has been working for them. Interesting that the Hayabusa was so polarizing when it was first released, and now they are being very conservative with the update.
silentgrayfellow is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2007, 05:21 PM   #12
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachery View Post
I have always liked the Hayabusa styling and this one looks sweet. Better than their other 2008 GSXR sportbikes. Little too much power for me now..After I own a 750 and latter a 1000 for awhile I might try it.. Nice article Kevin.
Thanks for the kudos, Zach! Not bad for someone who didn't attend the intro, huh? And I'm happy to let everyone know that MO is invited to the upcoming B-King launch, so I guess those cookies we sent worked!

Also, you're a smart rider to be using bikes of different power levels as stepping stones. Wish there were more of you like that out there. Kudos back atcha!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:30 PM   #13
Gluge
Registered Member

Looks neat! way more power than I would ever want but neat to see what can be done.
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:11 AM   #14
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
Wound a little tight today?
Well, Suzuki does have this tendency to overtighten the Power Band on the 'Busa just a bit too much...........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:45 AM   #15
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Iconic bike, incremental change, paying attention to the existing owner base and the aftermarket players, thus maintaining the brand and model loyalty... Nah, it'll never work. Just ask those losers in Milwaukee.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:48 AM   #16
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Iconic bike, incremental change, paying attention to the existing owner base and the aftermarket players, thus maintaining the brand and model loyalty... Nah, it'll never work. Just ask those losers in Milwaukee.

Agreed. Very astute of Suzuki not to spoil the Hayabusa franchise.

My Hayabusa story - I did some high speed runs out in a remote area on a friend's lightly modded (Akra full system, PCIII and dyno tune) 'Busa one time. Sticking her in 6th and rolling on the throttle at 40 mph did a pretty good airplane take off imitation. Relentless smooth thrust all the way to 185 mph indicated in one gear. Simply amazing. That and the way it pulled from 140 mph, where my 2006 FZ-1 is flattening out, was amazing.

I happily gave it back after doing 5 or 6 top speed runs down that arrow straight road. A man has to know his limitations after all and for me at least, that bike spells trouble. It begs to haul ass in such a way that 140 mph is just the beginning, and my personal rev limiter is set in the area of "only" 150 mph. The big Suzuki makes it all to easy to go there and while it handles well, it is one of those bikes that feels like if things went a bit awry, the rider is not gonna have much of a chance of getting it back. My FZ feels like a slap around toy compared to the "Bus".

Ironically, my friend can't ride for crap. His bike is a mid life crisis bauble to behold in the garage and slowly totter around on. It was the first and probably last time the tach ever crossed 5,000 rpm

Last edited by Duken4evr : 10-06-2007 at 11:50 AM.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:39 PM   #17
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
It begs to haul ass in such a way that 140 mph is just the beginning, and my personal rev limiter is set in the area of "only" 150 mph. The big Suzuki makes it all to easy to go there

Ironically, my friend can't ride for crap. His bike is a mid life crisis bauble to behold in the garage and slowly totter around on. It was the first and probably last time the tach ever crossed 5,000 rpm
I so relate to the two quotes above. I had an 02 VFR; obviously not the bike the 'Busa is, (too bad the nickname didn't turn out to be "H'ya) but... Even with it's comparitively modest performance, it was so easy and fun to run 120 or more, I couldn't resist. I picked up a ticket for 130 in AZ, and the cop damn near took me to jail.

I had to sell it, and it went to my friend Mark. He'd had a few bikes before, but this bike scared the crap out of him. He'd feather the clutch so much pulling out that it was painful to watch, "feet paddling" till he got going. Then he'd ride so conservatively it was a pain to go so slow...even though I was on the old Shovelhead. He might have put 1k miles on it since '04, but I doubt it. It sits in his garage just like your Busa pal's.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:59 PM   #18
bmwclay
Founding Member

Thumbs down Hayabusa First Ride

Nice writeup. I thought the Busa was always more comfortable and handled a litle better than the ZX-14. The Kawasaki was faster (by a hair) but the 'Busa was a better GT type bike, better for soft luggage and road trips. Also better engine manners. Some wrote that the ZX-14 was strangled down low electrically in the first three gears in order to protect the rider, and that any number of bikes (FJR, K1200S) were torquier in the low and midrange. Is that right? I am looking for a GT type bike to replace my LeMans (see picture) and I wish the Blackbird was still avaliable.
bmwclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:06 PM   #19
bmwclay
Founding Member

"I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me."

Hunter S. Thompson
bmwclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:46 PM   #20
OhioSteve
Founding Member

I covet a ZX-14. The row of headlights on the Kawasaki remind me of a commercial jetliner's headlights. You can get a solid black, understated paintjob. Corbin makes matching bags. The whole package is absolutely sexy. Plus the bike is somewhat practical as a sport-touring mount.

The Hayabusa does nothing for me emotionally. The anime-esque paintjob is sooo over the top. The whole styling package says "laughable penis extension" to me.
OhioSteve is offline   Reply With Quote