Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 10-03-2007, 07:19 PM   #1
gpzstar
Registered Member

Default 2001 K1200RS clutch failure

at my 2001 BMW K1200RS with a mere 23K miles on it, I smoked the clutch today and can't figure out how or why it has failed seemingly so prematurely.
I don't thrash the bike, but I took off from a corner and "accelerated agressively out of said corner trying to "paint a black mark on the road" when I dumped the clutch o spin the rear tire (which was cold) it hooked up instead and poof no forward progress, it just spins.
My local dealerships claims $755.00 in parts alone including $425.oo for the "housing" or "basket".
WTF?? Anyone out there know anything about warranty, recall or other issues regarding the clutch on this model?
Is there an aftermarket clutch available?
I'm thinking about doing the work myself but it looks like a huge undertaking I guess I can kiss this riding season goodbye.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
thansk
Bill
gpzstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Welcome to the world of superior German engineering.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:23 PM   #3
12er
Founding Member

when I bought mine, (I have an 02) the dealer told me to always keep it in neutral at stops as they tend to burn the throw out bering. Mileage can really very as they pointed out one CHP officer was in all the time with clutch replacements where as most of the other officers are well beyond his mileage. I have 35k miles on the clock and the fluid levels are getting low. So looks like I'll be in for the same pain here soon. To do it yourself you have to split the bike in two, as they use a dry automotive style clutch.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:34 PM   #4
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I have been told repeatedly that BMW's do not break down or have unresolved issues that the factory is ignoring.

...so based on that, I have to assume there is nothing wrong with your clutch and this story is completely false.

Seriously, though, good luck. I hope you have a respectable dealer/mechanic that you take it too and it is resolved quickly.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:15 PM   #5
gpzstar
Registered Member

Default Follow up

Thanks for the replies, yeah I had a 95 GPZ1100 for 9 years had 35 k on the clock when I traded it in for the K-Bike. I rode that old girl pretty hard and she never complained I'm more than a little disappointed in the Beemer. makes me consider trading it in for the new ZX14 Concours!!
However, my plan is to push it in my basement this weekend and make it a Winter project. we have some long-assed Winters here in Maine!
My question now is: Does anyone make an aftermarket (Read Performance) clutch disk and pressure plate for the K-bike.
I do truly love the ride and promise to never ever power shift at 6K RPM into 2nd gear again!!
Old 10-04-2007, 07:21 PM   #6
gpzstar
Registered Member

Nice bike there 12er! I need to figger out how to get a pic of mine up. I have the mandarin/grey checkerboard paint.
Of course the most embarassing aspect of this whole ordeal was that it ocurred during lunch at wokr and today when I brought in the trailer I had to PUSH the bike past a couple of co-workers and their "choke" Hardly Ablesons.... yes they harassed me mercilessy.
By the way I live in WaterFORD Maine Not WaterGORD, my typing sux.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:21 AM   #7
pplassm
Founding Member

Apparently, there is infor on the BMWOA.org website, but I ain't allowed, cause I don't own a stinking bmw!!!!
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:24 AM   #8
pplassm
Founding Member

I did find this though:

Internet BMW Riders - Substitutes for BMW Parts

Good Luck!
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:42 PM   #9
12er
Founding Member

Do a search for Pirates lair, all the k goodies in one spot. Email him and see if he has any suggestion.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:39 PM   #10
gpzstar
Registered Member

Thanks guys, surgery begins on monday night after work. Gotta take docks out this weekend and batten down the hatches for uggh Wintah!