Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Go East Part 2 (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/6456-go-east-part-2-a.html)

Administrator 09-28-2007 09:48 AM

Go East Part 2

Original Article:
Go East Part 2

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Go East Part 2 in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

xlr8r 09-28-2007 11:49 AM

Thanks for the memories

Another excellent piece from Yossef. Reading it brought back all sorts of memories of a similar trip to Budapest and Estergom I did on an ancient BMW R100RS in the summer of 1990, with a tent and sleeping bag lashed to the luggage rack. Eastern Europe had only been 'open' for a few months, and the Beemer attracted a lot of attention wherever I went. I also remember sitting in a cafe looking at, and trying to understand, that astronomical clock! In your picture, the time is somewhere between one and two pm: the sun marks the hours as it rotates clockwise on its ring, and it's in the second of the six pale blue segments which divide the time - unequally - between noon and sunset. There are no minutes shown, but as a compensation you get the phase of the moon (it's at the bottom of the dial).

mscuddy 09-28-2007 02:13 PM

Excellent story. I liked the visuals of the CZ factory. Maybe Paul Friedrich's ghost haunts the mill table...did you get to see the old BRNO factory? Run across any Tatras? Drink the good stuff from Pilsen? Man, that's one trip I'd like to take amigo...

longride 09-29-2007 04:25 AM

Nice article Yossef. One day I really need to get to do some Euro touring, but I have some unfinished business here in the states. Great story!

sfcdjevans 09-29-2007 05:13 AM

Tough Job!

+1 for Yossef! Always a pleasure to see your byline. I think all the manufactures should give you a ride along with the oft mentioned better half so we could get a "good" review on 2 up sport tourers.

Querbeil 09-29-2007 02:07 PM

Not bad, Guiseppi. If you ever tour the Swiss alps and pass by Zürich, drop in at the BMW center in Dielsdorf. The Swiss love cycles and have more per head than any country in Europe. What they lack in ancient architecture, they make up with scenery and decent, radar-trap infested roads. In the summer, every biker is on the road and a few manage to keep their batteries charged throughout the winter. They do not lack cultcha and enjoy a busy cycle scene. If you make it to Dielsdorf, walk up to the quarry ("Steinbruch") and ask for Frank.

Kenneth_Moore 09-30-2007 05:28 AM

It's great that the Cold War is over and Eastern Europe is accessible now. My generation was pretty much locked out of everything on the wrong side of the "Iron Curtain" in our youth, it remains to be seen if I'll have the resources to visit again at this point in my life. It's hard to believe that crap went on for over 40 years!

202 years since the French won a major battle on their own? Hey, who's keeping score? Oh yeah, about 1/2 the membership of MO!

I liked this quote: "Someone had secretly taped the Prime Minister in a cabinet meeting while saying, "We swindled the people of Hungary," and then sent the tape to a local TV station." If that was done here, people would get mad about it, but only if the news reporting on it interrupted their soap operas and game shows.

yossef 09-30-2007 02:32 PM

coming soon

Hei Querbeil

I get to zurich quite often, will look for you next time.

Cheers
-Yossef-