Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 09-27-2007, 04:23 PM   #11
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetwotone View Post
So is there anything wrong with buying an old RD350?

eBay Motors: Yamaha (item 110174291581 end time Sep-30-07 18:19:33 PDT)

Other than they sound like a lawn mower?
Lawn mowers are 4 strokes.

I just bought an RD400 with expansion chambers and it sounds like the devil's popcorn popper.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2007, 04:41 PM   #12
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

You can look at the difference in two-stroke vs. four stroke power, by the classes motorcross races run nowdays.

No more open class (once ruled by 2 strokes)

450cc four stroke, or 250cc two stroke = 250 class

250 four stroke, or a 125 two stroke= 125 class

150cc Four Stroke, or 80cc two stroke= 80cc class

Two strokes are better in my opinion, and when they solve the emissions problem, by getting rid fo loop-scavenging (with a closed 4 stroke type lower end-two stroke top end, with injector nozzel & exhaust port) the 2 stroke will rule once again.

And it won't cost 3,500.00 bucks to repair one when it get 30+ hours on it, like the modern "works" four strikers.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:56 PM   #13
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Wasn't the....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post

I just bought an RD400 with expansion chambers and it sounds like the devil's popcorn popper.
....Devil's Chainsaw the nickname for the Mach1 with racing expansion chambers?
Old 09-27-2007, 08:33 PM   #14
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post

Sounds awesome. I love the look of the triumph modern classics and Kawasaki W650 and i saw the RD350 it looked wonderful and it gets a couple of shining reviews from people who own them. Can you still get parts for them? how expensive is two-stroke oil?
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:08 AM   #15
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Sounds awesome. I love the look of the triumph modern classics and Kawasaki W650 and i saw the RD350 it looked wonderful and it gets a couple of shining reviews from people who own them. Can you still get parts for them? how expensive is two-stroke oil?
USA 2 Strokers is a forum filled with RD fanatics. You should have no problem keeping it running. 2 stroke oil is not expensive.

Just remember, you're buying a 30 year old motorcycle so don't plan any Iron Butt rides on it.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:12 AM   #16
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Default nah

Nothing long distance would be planned, im looking for something to ride around town, no interest in spending that long on a bike right now, not to mention i already used my vacation time for the year
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:36 AM   #17
Gluge
Registered Member

Quote:
Nothing long distance would be planned, im looking for something to ride around town, no interest in spending that long on a bike right now, not to mention i already used my vacation time for the year
I think 2-stroke make great little bikes for zipping around town. I commute on my RS250 and it's a blast the powerband is just so fun
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote