Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 09-20-2007, 05:55 PM   #1
Gluge
Registered Member

Default Could we get some real numbers in the reviews? Pretty Please

I have two simple request that would make me love motorcycle.com ten times more.

First Please list measured rwhp int he reviews not measured hpr run through some equation the dyno maker thought would get it close to crank hpr. The losses can vary from bike to bike. Why do we care how much hpr is at the crank anyway? The only hpr we get is what gets though the the rear wheel. This would ensure accuracy as you can calibrate dynos so if you have 1 rwhp they all read 1 rwhpr.

(I post this after reading the dyno bit in this article - http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...650-14284.html)

Second - Please weigh the bikes. This is very easy take a bathroom scale and roll the front wheel onto it, then do the same with the rear wheel then note approx how much fuel is in the tank and the two measured weights together and subtract for the fuel. This wouldn't be 100% dead on but it'd be way better than the manufacture claims.

I've weighted bikes that were claimed to weight 390 lbs wet and with no fuel they've still weighed 430 lbs. This is rediculious that the manufactures lie so much. The only bike I've had that was accurate is my 125 GP bike. Claimed was 156 lbs and it was dead on.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do this. Where are you located MO? I'll bring you a scale myself. Tell me what hours are good to come. (yes I'm serious)
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-21-2007, 05:08 AM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I'm just curious: in real life, day to day riding on a motorcycle, is such a fine definition of horsepower and weight really that meaningful? If a Kawi "actually" weighs 398.2 pounds and a Suzi weighs 413.7 pounds, could you tell the difference? Could you tell the difference between 130hp and 140hp, rear wheel or crank? REALLY??? I suspect a professional rider could, but I doubt 99% of the riding public could.

I get a laugh when I read how some manufacturer "trimmed" a whopping 8.2lbs off their bike by making the frammistat out of unobtainium. Then some lard-ass gets on the bike with a bag of 20 White Castle sliders and 50lbs of leather and doubles it's weight.

I think these power, weight, and other statistics are mostly just marketing crap tossed out by the manufacturers to keep us ever unsatisfied with perfectly good bikes that aren't "the latest and greatest." I know for a fact that a good rider on an old bike will leave the lesser rider on the latest bike in the dust every time. I'm also sure that the new Concours 14 wouldn't get me 250 miles up the coast to Mom's house later today more than a few minutes earlier than the 1986 version I'll be riding. FHP will see to that.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:18 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Don't forget.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I'm also sure that the new Concours 14 wouldn't get me 250 miles up the coast to Mom's house later today more than a few minutes earlier than the 1986 version I'll be riding. FHP will see to that.
....to tell her , "Hi!", from all of us. I'm sure she'll be pleased.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:32 AM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
....to tell her , "Hi!", from all of us. I'm sure she'll be pleased.
I told her all about y'all. She says you're invited over for a bbq and fishing off the dock anytime you're in Central Florida. Except Longride. She thinks he's too crabby.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:34 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Default That's alright.

Quote:
I told her all about y'all. She says you're invited over for a bbq and fishing off the dock anytime you're in Central Florida. Except Longride. She thinks he's too crabby.
LR's idea of fishing is to use 5 pounds of dynamite.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:10 AM   #6
pushrod
Founding Member

Seruzawa!

LR is WAY too sofisstikated to use dyn-o-mite!

This video is from a fishing trip he took in '04.

Afghan Rocket Fishing video

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:19 PM   #7
DataDan
Founding Member

A good estimate of real-world, full-tank weight can be obtained as follows:

Find gross vehicle weight rating on the VIN plate.

Find maximum load on the tire sticker. This is how much you can add to the bike (rider and cargo), tank full, without exceeding GVWR.

Subtract the latter from the former for the motorcycle's full-tank weight.

I've been testing this method for years--do the calculation on a new bike at the dealer, compare to magazine-reported full-tank weight--and it's never been off by more than a few pounds. If MO can't weigh 'em, at least they can report a good estimate.

BTW, I see no point at all in reporting manufacturer's "claimed dry weight". It's fiction, created to compete with the fiction of other manufacturer's "dry weight". Might as well report the "lunar dry weight".
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:27 PM   #8
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Which coast? I have an office in Spring Hill.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:35 PM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
I am too crabby! Keeps the straights from bothering me.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:35 PM   #10
Gluge
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm just curious: in real life, day to day riding on a motorcycle, is such a fine definition of horsepower and weight really that meaningful? If a Kawi "actually" weighs 398.2 pounds and a Suzi weighs 413.7 pounds, could you tell the difference? Could you tell the difference between 130hp and 140hp, rear wheel or crank? REALLY??? I suspect a professional rider could, but I doubt 99% of the riding public could.

I get a laugh when I read how some manufacturer "trimmed" a whopping 8.2lbs off their bike by making the frammistat out of unobtainium. Then some lard-ass gets on the bike with a bag of 20 White Castle sliders and 50lbs of leather and doubles it's weight.

I think these power, weight, and other statistics are mostly just marketing crap tossed out by the manufacturers to keep us ever unsatisfied with perfectly good bikes that aren't "the latest and greatest." I know for a fact that a good rider on an old bike will leave the lesser rider on the latest bike in the dust every time. I'm also sure that the new Concours 14 wouldn't get me 250 miles up the coast to Mom's house later today more than a few minutes earlier than the 1986 version I'll be riding. FHP will see to that.
True I doubt I could tell the difference between 10 lbs precisely but in general I feel much more comfortable on lighter smaller bikes and as far as my seat of pants comfort level well that can be influenced by just 10 lbs. And that will show up in my lap times.

I know I can tell the difference between my race bike full tank and my race bike near empty, it's very subtle but it's there. And yes depending on the bike I can defiantly feel 5 hpr difference.

I am no professional rider but I do win a bit of money racing and every little bit matters in racing. I don't care if 99% of the public doesn't race and still buys sportbikes.

Sportbikes are practically made for racing they're made to be as high performance as possible while still being able to be sold for street posers. The least magazines could do is report things that mater to people who actually use the bikes for their purpose. Especially when they're already measuring rwhpr they're just running it through some correcting thing which may or may not be accurate. All they need is a scale now.

They report plenty of other things that aren't useful (like claimed dry weight haha)
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote