Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 09-23-2007, 02:23 PM   #11
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Where is Spring Hill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Which coast? I have an office in Spring Hill.
Mom lives, and I grew up, near Cocoa Beach. Her house is on the Indian River, and you can see the VAB at the Kennedy Space Center from her yard. I'm hoping to move back up there before too long. There are a BUNCH of riders up there, and some great roads are within range for a day trip.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2007, 02:28 PM   #12
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluge View Post
True I doubt I could tell the difference between 10 lbs precisely but in general I feel much more comfortable on lighter smaller bikes and as far as my seat of pants comfort level well that can be influenced by just 10 lbs. And that will show up in my lap times.

I know I can tell the difference between my race bike full tank and my race bike near empty, it's very subtle but it's there. And yes depending on the bike I can defiantly feel 5 hpr difference.

I am no professional rider but I do win a bit of money racing and every little bit matters in racing. I don't care if 99% of the public doesn't race and still buys sportbikes.

Sportbikes are practically made for racing they're made to be as high performance as possible while still being able to be sold for street posers. The least magazines could do is report things that mater to people who actually use the bikes for their purpose. Especially when they're already measuring rwhpr they're just running it through some correcting thing which may or may not be accurate. All they need is a scale now.

They report plenty of other things that aren't useful (like claimed dry weight haha)

It seems you're a rider who could acutally use that level of detail. My viewpoint is skewed, I'm an aging rider who's biggest interest these days is just riding around enjoying the scenery and being outside. My days of pulling nine or ten tenths out of a machine are over...and I'm ok with that!
Old 09-28-2007, 08:11 PM   #13
Gluge
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
It seems you're a rider who could acutally use that level of detail. My viewpoint is skewed, I'm an aging rider who's biggest interest these days is just riding around enjoying the scenery and being outside. My days of pulling nine or ten tenths out of a machine are over...and I'm ok with that!
More power to you! You don't even need to be in the market for the fastest bike out there to appreciate good dyno numbers. I was shopping for a bike in the EX500 - SV650 range and found myself wishing I could get some true numbers. I ended up going with an RS250.
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:26 AM   #14
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Default Offensive grenades are more effective, cost wise.

As far as usefull numbers go I'd like to see fuel milage reported, not from some journo's hooligan run but from a constant loop that might aproximate the use of a commuter. I do 400 to 500 miles a week commuting so real world fuel figures effect my decision making. As much as I would like to have 3 bikes for my moods and recreation I can only afford to have one that has to do it all.

ps. But hey if you've got RPG rounds that your not doing anything with....
sfcdjevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:41 AM   #15
bbtowns
Founding Member

I'd like to echo the comments in this thread that rear wheel horsepower and actual weight would be a huge improvement over the mixture of actual and manufacturer claims we get today. Manufacturer claims seem to vary from actual results by manufacturer, with some manufacturer's marketing department seeming to have a greater influence than others.
I agree that for many riders body fat is more significant than those 15 lbs you shaved off the bike with that new exhaust system, but that doesn't seem to be a good excuse not to report it for those of us in shape who push our bikes hard on the track or street on a regular basis.
Another idea, how about a chart of motorcycle performance that compares all makes and models ala the "list" that used to be included in Motorcyclist.
bbtowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:50 AM   #16
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default Buy an Industrial scale and real Dyno

Kevin,
Tell the Verticalscope bosses you need a simple industrial scale and a real Dyno. 1- it's not that big of an investment when you look at it as a business expense. 2- it will give you guys something to play with between road test. 3- It will sure as h3ll make us happy knowing you guys aren't locked into the industry hype when giving data figures.
It's not a real complicated thing- operating a dyno. And if you start doing "long-term" testing on bikes you can give revised numbers with update. Just a thought from the peanut gallery.