Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2008 Vectrix Electric Scooter (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/6403-2008-vectrix-electric-scooter.html)

Administrator 09-20-2007 08:05 AM

2008 Vectrix Electric Scooter

Original Article:
2008 Vectrix Electric Scooter

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2008 Vectrix Electric Scooter in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Kenneth_Moore 09-20-2007 08:32 AM

Darn. No cool burnout video like the last electric bike on the site.

seruzawa 09-20-2007 10:30 AM

Interesting. A 60 mile range at 25mph is useless where I live. Is there a projected range at 35-40mph?

yossef 09-20-2007 10:41 AM

50 miles @ 50 mph

that's what i got with mainly highway use.

-Yossef-

mscuddy 09-20-2007 11:04 AM

Hey, wait a minute...

"Seems like around 1995, good old Lockheed Martin was looking for some nice projects to bite on outside the military field."

Sounds like my Cushman Airborne. 'cept my Cushman didn't weigh 460 lbs, and require an extension cord.

Maybe L Kelly Johnson had something to do with it?

Kenneth_Moore 09-20-2007 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 169600)
Interesting. A 60 mile range at 25mph is useless where I live. Is there a projected range at 35-40mph?

It all depends on where the mini-van is parked.

seruzawa 09-20-2007 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 169610)
It all depends on where the mini-van is parked.

Ha! No minivans here.

My wives insist on 3/4 ton trucks.

Buzglyd 09-20-2007 04:00 PM

If we run out of fuel what are we gonna charge it with? Some of those windmills off of Martha's Vineyard? Oh wait, Kennedy killed that. ;-)

theDuke 09-20-2007 06:09 PM

I saw these at a recent car show new Philadelphia where they had them on display. They were offering test rides but unfortunately I ran out of time to take one.

When I first saw them and sat on one I was impressed. They looked very nicely finished. While heavy, it felt nicely balanced (and with those batteries all low in the chassis, it makes sense).

I have a short (3 miles) commute most days, all of which are on stop and go surfact streets. This is the perfect conditions for a bike like this. OTOH, the $11k price totally threw me for a loop. I can buy a used Honda Insight for less than this and get 60 mpg and not get wet when it rains.

Personally, I love the idea of battery-powered electric vehicles. I used to drive a GM EV1 quite extensively and loved it for commuting. I thought the Vectrix looked like the best developed two-wheeled electric I've ever seen. I just hope they can figure out how to reduce the cost as it makes little sense at this price. Doesn't a regular scooter get about 80 mpg anyway?

JmalB 09-21-2007 01:28 AM

Well...

Quote:

Car makers have been at it for a while, but none has really offered a fully zero-emissions vehicle.
GM EV1. Although it wasn't a real serious offering.