Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 09-21-2007, 06:51 AM   #11
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

Remind me again how we make electicity......oh yeah, we burn fossil fuels.

Electric powered vehicles is just side stepping the issue.
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-21-2007, 07:15 AM   #12
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelterSkelter View Post
Remind me again how we make electicity......oh yeah, we burn fossil fuels.

Electric powered vehicles is just side stepping the issue.
Not all of it. Some we use Uranium to boil water to make steam that spins an electric-turbine. Then we store the waste in rusty steel containers outdoors while we wait for the argument over Yucca mountain to be resolved..........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:51 AM   #13
maladg
Registered Member

I'm going to hold my breath until we run out of oil.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:18 AM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

Default It's closer than you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maladg View Post
I'm going to hold my breath until we run out of oil.
Robert W Bussard: Electrostatic Confinement Fusion
Old 09-21-2007, 10:45 AM   #15
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default A Toke-O-Mat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Hey, they've got one of those at the local smoke shop.

Gives killer hits.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:45 PM   #16
ccd3
Founding Member

Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDuke View Post
I saw these at a recent car show new Philadelphia where they had them on display. They were offering test rides but unfortunately I ran out of time to take one.

When I first saw them and sat on one I was impressed. They looked very nicely finished. While heavy, it felt nicely balanced (and with those batteries all low in the chassis, it makes sense).

I have a short (3 miles) commute most days, all of which are on stop and go surfact streets. This is the perfect conditions for a bike like this. OTOH, the $11k price totally threw me for a loop. I can buy a used Honda Insight for less than this and get 60 mpg and not get wet when it rains.

Personally, I love the idea of battery-powered electric vehicles. I used to drive a GM EV1 quite extensively and loved it for commuting. I thought the Vectrix looked like the best developed two-wheeled electric I've ever seen. I just hope they can figure out how to reduce the cost as it makes little sense at this price. Doesn't a regular scooter get about 80 mpg anyway?
No kidding- $11,000? Seriously- I only wanted 1. What does a 4 stroke Yamaha Vino 125 get? 60-70 miles per gallon? More? I dunno? Also- when you use up a Vino, it can be dumped into one of these things YouTube - WATCH IT SHRED! \\ PRI-MAX vs BMW! (shredder vs. car) // and recycled. I don;t know what is inside a Lithium-Ion battery, but I don;t think I want it sitting in a vat in my backyard.
ccd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 02:11 AM   #17
Freedomcoach
Registered Member

Angry

Okay, I don't want to read about a scooter. So I REALLY don't want to read about an electric scooter! Get a ROPE!
Freedomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:59 PM   #18
ofreen
Registered Member

Sounds nice (if you want to ride a scooter), but my 1980 CB125S compares pretty favorably and is more fun, I'll bet.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:31 PM   #19
theDuke
Founding Member

The Vectrix used Nickle Metal Hydride batteries, which are similar in makeup to those used in millions of cell phones and computers. So, I would have to hope that there is an established infrastructure for recycling these. The volume used in electric scooters or cars has to be tiny compared to what's already out there.

Also, it's true that most of our electricity comes from the use of fossil fuels. OTOH, it's much easier to monitor the emissions from a stationary power plant than it is millions of cars of bikes. Additionally, these things can be charged up at night when there is usually a great deal of excess capacity. In other words, it's not as if we need new power plants to charge them. Also, there ARE other ways to generate electricity and nearly all of them at least create options that don't involve importing petroleum from nasty parts of the world.

Regarding the EV1, I have a bit of history working on and driving those cars. I'm not much of a blogger but I did write up some history of the car after seeing "Who Killed the Electric Car." If you're interested in more background, check out stevelovescars.blogspot.com. Warning, it was late when I wrote this and it's a bit long.
theDuke is offline   Reply With Quote