Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Fast track to a funeral (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/6353-fast-track-funeral.html)

ejis 09-12-2007 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 169015)
Works for your bias right? 8-)

Very nicely, thank you.

sarnali2 09-12-2007 07:34 AM

I'm still trying to decide if my Hulking Harley Davidson is a standard or and unclad sportbike, it doesn't and never will have bags or a fairing so it's a nekkid bike not a tourer but it's not a Japanese bike either so it can't be a cruiser.

And where does that leave the Bandit? with an over 20 year old engine design it's hardly a supersport bike but it does have a snazzy little c*ckpit fairing and windshield so is it an unclad sportbike or a standard? If I put a tank bag on it and head for greener pastures does that make it a touring bike? But then how can it be a touring bike with Z rated radials and a performance exhaust?

I just don't know where I fit in here demographically speaking

Cheesebeast 09-12-2007 07:47 AM

Read the source for this LA Times article for yourselves:
http://www.iihs.org/sr/pdfs/sr4209.pdf

The IIHS stands for the Insurance Institute For Highway Robbery..err..Safety.

This piece of glossy tough love is titled:
THESE MACHINES ARE DESIGNED FOR THE RACETRACK

Helmet law fans get a special treat with "Helmets are key to reversing growing trend of rider deaths."

Cheesebeast 09-12-2007 07:49 AM

Oh, and no bike Hulks like the original Harley Davidson.

No Honking Honda Goldwings need apply.

longride 09-12-2007 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 169018)
I'm still trying to decide if my Hulking Harley Davidson is a standard or and unclad sportbike, it doesn't and never will have bags or a fairing so it's a nekkid bike not a tourer but it's not a Japanese bike either so it can't be a cruiser.

And where does that leave the Bandit? with an over 20 year old engine design it's hardly a supersport bike but it does have a snazzy little c*ckpit fairing and windshield so is it an unclad sportbike or a standard? If I put a tank bag on it and head for greener pastures does that make it a touring bike? But then how can it be a touring bike with Z rated radials and a performance exhaust?

I just don't know where I fit in here demographically speaking

You don't fit in anywhere. You are a true 1%er........or maybe a 0%er? I don't know.

Cheesebeast 09-12-2007 08:09 AM

From the IIHS gem:
Cruisers are the largest class of bikes. Riders typically are about 45, according to insurance data from the Highway Loss Data Institute. Cruisers mimic the style of American motorcycles from the 1930s to 1960s, such as Harley-Davidsons and Indians.
[accompanying picture is of a Harley-Davidson V-Rod]

Standards have basic designs and upright riding positions, with low power-to-weight ratios that result in a user-friendly motorcycle. Their average driver[ibid] is 39.
[picture is of Triumph Thunderbird]

Supersports are consumer versions of racing motorcycles. Reduced weight and increased power allow for quick acceleration, nimble handling, and high speeds. The average driver[ibid] is about 33 years old.
[picture is of a Kawasaki Ninja Devil ZX-10R]

Sport motorcycles are closely related to supersports. Sport bikes are capable of high speeds but don't have the acceleration, stability, and handling of supersports. The average age of a sport bike driver[ibid, can't resist] is 39.
[picture is of an innocent looking Honda ST 1300]

Unclad sport [ibid] motorcycles are similar to sport bikes and supersports in design and performance but without plastic body fairings. The average rider is about 38.
[picture is of a shockingly naked Honda 919]

Touring motorcycles have big engines and fuel tanks plus room to haul luggage. They're often outfitted with antilock brakes, audio systems, and cruise control. These motorcycles are popular among riders in their mid-40s.
[picture is of a Honda Gold Wing]

Scooters have small wheels, automatic transmissions, and small engines, but larger scooters are becoming more popular. The average age of a scooter driver [sheesh] is 48.
[picture is of a Honda Metropolitan]

The_AirHawk 09-12-2007 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 169005)
There's plenty of hulking available at your local Honda dealer. Just check out the ST1300 and the Goldwing.

HULK SMASH!!!

pushrod 09-12-2007 11:21 AM

Y'know, of all the paint jobs I've seen, the Hulkster ain't been represented once!

Maybe it's the "Green paintjobs are bad luck" thing...

The_AirHawk 09-12-2007 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheesebeast (Post 169021)
This piece of glossy tough love is titled:
THESE MACHINES ARE DESIGNED FOR THE RACETRACK"

I absolutely LOVE the Ninja overlaying the NASCAR-scene for the cover.................

Cheesebeast 09-12-2007 12:55 PM

Yes, and the green color of the title is sampled from the Ninja!

The marketing-fu is strong with this one...

It is just me or does the pre-ban Ninja look completely *****in' in this attack piece? It looks like, well, fun.

OH, got to go. They are here to pick me up for the re-education camp.