Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 09-17-2007, 11:18 AM   #61
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I think HD should have added the boat tail and two into one pipe of the original to the 35th edition Superglide myself. Let's see if the Jappers copy those stylistic icons.
Damn, I wish they would. I had a chance to buy a white-boat tail with the red white and blue paint job about 15 years ago. I went for the Low Rider because I didn't want to take that fiberglass off. Needless to say, that bike is a classic collector's item if it's still out there.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-17-2007, 11:24 AM   #62
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I guess Corvettes would be the same way then.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:27 AM   #63
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Well, Opel GT's anyway.........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:36 AM   #64
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Beret`s too, some of them wear beret`s.

I think HD should have added the boat tail and two into one pipe of the original to the 35th edition Superglide myself. Let's see if the Jappers copy those stylistic icons.
I thought for sure when they released that model they would have had the boat tail section available for purchase in the catalog but maybe they just didn't sell that many.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:16 PM   #65
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike_1 View Post
Frankly, I would give Yamaha their due. They are pretty good at making stylish bikes - of course, their design team is in California, so it stands to reason the bikes would have a style reflecting the culture. HD is immensely successful more for the image, or is it fantasy, the company has marketed. It is nothing short of briliant, even if it's become the Gucci standard of bikedom.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff background=/assets/star/flex/flex_comp_bg_00023_97cf6.jpg border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3>Look at this! You can see customized Yamaha (cough) Star motorcycles from the last 10 years! How long has Star been around? No marketing bullshyt there eh?

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=flexheader align=middle colSpan=3>CUSTOM STARS</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=9></TD><TD class=flextext vAlign=top width=176>See the customized Star Motorcycles from the last ten years of the Star Calendar. View and download images for your computer desktop. Email them to friends

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited by longride : 09-17-2007 at 12:48 PM.
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:43 AM   #66
pplassm
Founding Member

I think you guys are missing it. This bike is not a Harley copy. Instead, it is targeted at those who covet the expensive custom bikes built around air-cooled V-twins. (Yes, they are all based on HD designs, I admit.) Many of those that I see do not have a manufacturers's logo on the tank, and so it is with the Raider.

Who can argue with their marketing, though? I see plenty of "Stars" as well as "Boulevards" and other Japanese cruisers. They're selling well, so the riding public must like them.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:04 AM   #67
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Who can argue with their marketing, though?
Nobody can. Wait! Unless it's the Evil Empire Harley that's doing the marketing. Then people seem to have all kinds of arguements with them! Remember that according to BigMike1 that Harley deserves no respect for their dastardly marketing schemes, but kudos to Yamaha for building a fake motorcycle brand to market copycat motorcycles with the same psudo-tough guys that Harley uses. At least Harley had the sense to copy the French!
Old 09-18-2007, 08:10 AM   #68
wallace666
Registered Member

Damn guys, the tired old Harley against Clone bike argument. There is no resolution to it. <p>

A few things are simple and true, Harley did not invent or create the combustion engine or the V-Twin configuration, they copied someone else, Harley did not create/invent the bicycle or motorcycle frame, Harley did not invent the wheel or rubber tire. They copied someone else's ideas and made their version of a motorized bicycle, then evolved into motorcycles. Nothing wrong with that!<p>

If you look at the majority of current Harley riders, draped in leather from head to toe, strutting around in 90 degree plus temps fully costumed, the epitome of bad ass rebels of yore, you'll note that they are copies/clones of real outlaw bikers of the past, but in costume only. So in the same way how you feel about Harley clone bikes, I feel the same about clone biker people. I'll ride my Raider clone, and if I'm lucky, I'll be shunned by the Harley clone bikers and hopefully they won't talk to me. I find it hilarious how a regular mild mannered businessman goes into a Harley dealership, drops $30,000, and then later comes out the door fully leathered out, chromed and self-proclaimed an American Rebel. Only 30 grand to buy the "lifestyle package" out of a dealership catalog. Say what you want, but that is the funniest shyt on the road!<p>

As I said previously, I've owned 7 big twin Harleys, and I forgot to mention the 2 Sportsters when I was a youngster, I rode nothing but Harleys for over 30 years, they were all good bikes. I'm glad Harley is doing well, they have a great marketing department, it brought them back from the abyss, but what has happened to the majority of Harley riders is hard to stomach from my perspective. I would be embarrassed nowadays to be a part of it, many old school geezers like me feel the same.<p>

So who or what are really the clones, and does it really matter? Most current Harley riders are no more the 1 percenter that they dress to copy than a Jap clone motorcycle is a real Harley. Does either instance truly matter? If you absolutely have to have the real deal Harley to be a man and a motorcyclist, and you shun all other motorcyclist if they are not the same, that's very telling about your mindset and manhood. I've never seen any brand of bike, or style of clothes that could make a guy punch any harder, help him win a fight, or made him any more of a stand up guy. You can't ride that or buy that.<p>

Ride what you want and enjoy yourselves. Just go easy on the other guy, a quick look in the mirror before a ride may reveal that you and your bike are actually clones of one thing or another at this late date in motorcycling history..............
wallace666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:35 AM   #69
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace666 View Post
Damn guys, the tired old Harley against Clone bike argument. There is no resolution to it. <p>

leathered out, chromed and self-proclaimed an American Rebel. Only 30 grand to buy the "lifestyle package" out of a dealership catalog. Say what you want, but that is the funniest shyt on the road!<p>

SNIP

Ride what you want and enjoy yourselves. Just go easy on the other guy, a quick look in the mirror before a ride may reveal that you and your bike are actually clones of one thing or another at this late date in motorcycling history..............
I agree with a lot of what you said however, just show up at the average Star club gathering and you'll see Harley clone bikes and Harley clone lifestyle types every bit as leather draped as H-D riders. In fact, Star has done more to ape the whole H-D lifestyle thing than any of the other Big Four.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:40 AM   #70
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Dude, your attempt at rationalizing the Star copycat bikes is truly admiriable. If you owned 7 Harleys, then you know that the only reason that Yamaha (cough) Star exists is BECAUSE of Harley. They wouldn't have made bike #1 if Harley didn't make air cooled, V-Twin, pushrod, belt-driven cruisers cool. Maybe you didn't remember back in the 80's when Harley was going under and the tariffs were coming to Japanese makers. Honda and YAMAHA complained that they were not to blame for Harley's woes and the fact that Harley made AN INFERIOR V-TWIN compared to their SUPERIOR INLINE FOUR was the reason they were going under. Check out how many INFERIOR V-TWINS Honda and Yamaha make now! Harley invented cool, and the Japanese want to cash in on cool at all costs. So you hate those $30,000 fake Harley bikers who are all a joke, but all those fake $20,000 Yamaha (cough) Star bikers are OK in your book? Does that Yamaha(cough) Star bike or jacket make them fight any better? I was just asking because I guess in your mind, a fake biker riding a fake bike is better than a fake biker riding the real deal. Harley was and is the real deal for over 100 years. If they supposedly copied a V-Twin 100 years ago, which nobody ever proved they did, so what? What does that have to do with the bikes they are making 100 years later that the Japanese first branded as 'inferior' and now copy to the last detail? Gibson didn't invent the guitar, but there are about 100 cheap Les Paul clones out there aren't there? Nobody would say they weren't copies of the Les Paul. Why would you deny this bike is a Harley copy then? In summation, the Fake Star brand and their fake motorcycles are fine. Ride them all you want. Call a spade a spade and just admit what they are.