Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2008 Star Motorcycles Raider (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/6350-2008-star-motorcycles-raider.html)

longride 09-17-2007 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 169297)
...actually the Superglide was a copy of the bikes the customizers were building. So you can really give credit for the "custom" look to returning WWII vets. Harley did not originate the chopper look. There were thousands of them on the street while HD was still building only FLHs and Sportsters. I specifically remember thinking how nice it was that HD finally jumped on the bandwagon when the Superglide was announced.

First of the 'Factory Customs". At least it was thier bikes people were chopping.

anrajala 09-17-2007 08:28 AM

>Ahhh yes, instead of saying "I was wrong", you use the
>tried and true KPaul method of changing your story. You
>were wrong. Period. End of story. They didn't copy the
>V-Twin as YOU said. The buffoon is YOU dude. Your new
>name is Scarecrow now. Sing along dude

Look longride, I know this is all very complicated, you being upset and all, and not having too much to start with either, but I try to explain it slowly:

My first claim that HD copied a French V2 as their first V2 engine. Got that?

Then it was proved that HD copied a French single.

Then you started your own thinking process (cement mixer noise): If them dudes copied the whooa whooa thingie them couldn’t’vebeen er er copying the other wassamacallit cool dude like er cough cough (cement mixer noice stops).

Wrong.

The fact they copied the single does not prove they didn’t copy the V2 (if something it makes it more probable). Why I believe they did is that I read a story about this, which I will find. I hope you don’t start claiming they didn’t since you only today learned that HD copied a French single.

I am sorry if I hurt your feelings.

- cruiz-euro

tvrides 09-17-2007 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ofreen (Post 169158)
I like the term "fake Harley" better. More accurately descriptive.

Actually, "tribute bike" would be far more accurate. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by ofreen (Post 169158)
You don't have to come up with a couple of thousand more to get a Harley. Just get a Super Glide and put it together the way you want it.

One negative aspect to that in *some* people's minds is that Harley-Davidsons have become too mainstreamed which is why the *real* non-conformists are riding tribute bikes. ;)

Buzglyd 09-17-2007 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMike_1 (Post 169282)
If someone likes the Raider or any other Japanese cruiser, so what. This whole tribal bashing issue is tiresome. If anyone is honest, they have to face the fact that factory customs are based on machines chopped up, originally, by returing WWII veterans. All the manufacturers are in the business to make money, and will makes products people want to buy. Frankly, I would give Yamaha their due. They are pretty good at making stylish bikes - of course, their design team is in California, so it stands to reason the bikes would have a style reflecting the culture. HD is immensely successful more for the image, or is it fantasy, the company has marketed. It is nothing short of briliant, even if it's become the Gucci standard of bikedom.

So let me get this straight. H-D's air-cooled pushrod Vtwin bikes and owners with black vests and pins is all about image and market.

Yamaha comes out with an air-cooled pushrod Vtwin and starts an owners club with riders wearing black vests and pins and we should give Yamaha it's due?

sarnali2 09-17-2007 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 169315)
So let me get this straight. H-D's air-cooled pushrod Vtwin bikes and owners with black vests and pins is all about image and market.

Yamaha comes out with an air-cooled pushrod Vtwin and starts an owners club with riders wearing black vests and pins and we should give Yamaha it's due?

Beret`s too, some of them wear beret`s.

I think HD should have added the boat tail and two into one pipe of the original to the 35th edition Superglide myself. Let's see if the Jappers copy those stylistic icons.

longride 09-17-2007 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anrajala (Post 169311)
>
Look longride, I know this is all very complicated, you being upset and all, and not having too much to start with either, but I try to explain it slowly:

My first claim that HD copied a French V2 as their first V2 engine. Got that?

- cruiz-euro

And you were WRONG! GOT THAT? And you claimed there were many copies of the Corvette. And you were WRONG AGAIN. GOT THAT? So your contribution to this thread has been zero Scarecrow. Time for you to go to OZ and see the wizard.

The_AirHawk 09-17-2007 09:36 AM

I thought the Datsun/Nissan Z's were scaled-down copies of the Jaguar E-Type? Have I been misled all these years?

longride 09-17-2007 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 169319)
I thought the Datsun/Nissan Z's were scaled-down copies of the Jaguar E-Type? Have I been misled all these years?

Yes you have been misled by the biggest misleader since KPaul. I think the Z's were a cpoy of a French design though. :-D

seruzawa 09-17-2007 11:13 AM

They should...

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 169320)
Yes you have been misled by the biggest misleader since KPaul. I think the Z's were a cpoy of a French design though. :-D

... just stick to copying Brigitte Bardot.

The_AirHawk 09-17-2007 11:16 AM

They're pretty-good sportscars (the 240/280Z), for what they are; but God Help the poor-dumb schlub that has to work on any sheetmetal because you said you'd help your buddy's son put it back-together 'cuz he drove it off in the ditch and tore-up the undercarriage: Suspension mounting-points and related sheetmetal are thin as tissue-paper.

I spent six days just forming pieces by hand from sheet to replace the torn and crumpled metal bits, and another two replacing them..........