Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 09-13-2007, 05:18 PM   #21
donaldl
Registered Member

I luv my RSW. When I twist the throttle it makes torque and speed not just noise.
donaldl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-13-2007, 08:16 PM   #22
ofreen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nweaver View Post
Yawn, yet another Harley clone...

And given the price will probably be $13k+, why not save up another couple of grand and just get the real deal?
I like the term "fake Harley" better. More accurately descriptive.

You don't have to come up with a couple of thousand more to get a Harley. Just get a Super Glide and put it together the way you want it.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:54 AM   #23
wallace666
Registered Member

I think ya'll are missing the point. Harley makes a 107 cu in motor, it has rear cylinder over heating problems, also the standard and big bore HD motors have cam problems. To get that 107 motor, you have to by a special Harley that the dealers mark up to $29,000. This Raider is a seriously cool bike, has a 113 cu in motor, like you say it looks like a Harley, it costs around $13,000. What is not to like?? I've owned 7 Harley big twins over 30+ years of riding, I don't see a problem with a non-Harley cruiser, you youngsters might because it's not the bikes your into, it's impressing everyone that you have a "Harley". Nowadays if you buy a Harley, your just another one of the millions of carbon copy "individualist". If you really want to stand out from the crowd and be a rebel, buy a Raider! I doubt that peer pressure and ego will allow that for most?
wallace666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:07 AM   #24
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace666 View Post
I think ya'll are missing the point. Harley makes a 107 cu in motor, it has rear cylinder over heating problems, also the standard and big bore HD motors have cam problems. To get that 107 motor, you have to by a special Harley that the dealers mark up to $29,000. This Raider is a seriously cool bike, has a 113 cu in motor, like you say it looks like a Harley, it costs around $13,000. What is not to like?? I've owned 7 Harley big twins over 30+ years of riding, I don't see a problem with a non-Harley cruiser, you youngsters might because it's not the bikes your into, it's impressing everyone that you have a "Harley". Nowadays if you buy a Harley, your just another one of the millions of carbon copy "individualist". If you really want to stand out from the crowd and be a rebel, buy a Raider! I doubt that peer pressure and ego will allow that for most?
I don't think anybody 'has a problem with it'. It's a Harley copy is all. It is what it is. Just be prepared for lots of questions about what kind of Harley it is. Notice there is no branding to be found on the bike? If they are so proud of it, why not slap "Star" stickers and logos all over everything? Because they want you, and everyone else that sees it to think it's a Harley is why. I'm impressed that Harley actually makes the kind of bike they want to make and doesn't need to copy somebody else's design because they sell well. How many 'Raiders' you think Yamaha (cough) Star would make if Harley didn't exist? How many air cooled, pushrod, belt driven V-Twins did they make in the 80's when Harley was going under? None would be the correct answer. If Honda came out with a better copy of a Corvette, would you be inclined to buy one or drive the original? Harley is the original. Yamaha (cough) Star is a wannabe.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:18 AM   #25
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Since you ask...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace666 View Post
What is not to like??
You are arguably correct on most of your points. However:

Compare the resale value of that Yamaha to what you'll get back on an HD. No comparison. Along those lines, I suspect that Yamaha that looks so cool today is going to look pretty lame in a few years. Yet, the classic looks of HDs endure for decades if not longer.

Compare the aftermarket and factory upgrades, accessories, etc. Again, no comparison.

For many, motorbikes are as much about socializing and comraderie as anything else. It's not my particular interest, but for many, owning a Harley means a lot in terms of changing their personal lives for the better.

Lastly, "imitation is the highest form of flattery." If there wasn't something unique and cool about HDs, I doubt they'd have been in business for well over 100 years, usually quite profitably.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:21 AM   #26
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Harley is the original. Yamaha (cough) Star is a wannabe.
"Great minds think in like channels." Albert Einstein
Old 09-16-2007, 11:02 AM   #27
anrajala
Founding Member

>Metric cruisers: Why?

Hmmm... if you like to get better product for less for example. Some people value that more than the brand name.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:18 AM   #28
anrajala
Founding Member

>If there wasn't something unique and cool about HDs,
>I doubt they'd have been in business for well over 100 years

Hmmm... not always that unique. Did you know that the first Harley V2was a diredt copy of a French V2 bike? Thus it could be claimed the Star is a copy of a copy.

- cruiz-euro
Old 09-16-2007, 11:29 AM   #29
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrajala View Post
>If there wasn't something unique and cool about HDs,
>I doubt they'd have been in business for well over 100 years

Hmmm... not always that unique. Did you know that the first Harley V2was a diredt copy of a French V2 bike? Thus it could be claimed the Star is a copy of a copy.

- cruiz-euro
I thought the Russians invented everything.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:31 AM   #30
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Vette the world's most respected sports car, surely

>If Honda came out with a better copy of a Corvette,
>would you be inclined to buy one or drive the original?

Well they did indeed come up with a better copy (and they were not the only ones). Lots of people were inclined to buy them, so many indeed that the good ol vette has been hanging on there by the skin of its teeth.

- cruiz-euro