Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2008 Star Motorcycles Raider (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/6350-2008-star-motorcycles-raider.html)

Buzglyd 09-18-2007 12:47 PM

Try this one

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 169461)
Your momma wears fake Harley boots! At least mine wears the real thing!

Your momma is so fat, I poked her in the leg and she leaked gravy!

wallace666 09-18-2007 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrides (Post 169458)
He also rode a blue Panhead chopper with springer front-end in The Wild Angels. In fact, I saw that bike (or a replica) at the Movieland Wax Museum back in May of 1981.

Yes, it'll definately get you special attention from the LEOs. :-D

This is almost like the industrial-military complex fighting off the draft dodgers. :rolleyes:

There's no disputing that. Used to ride Triumph 650/750 twins from 1968-1980 (also owned 1975 FLH1200) and wasn't too impressed when the Yamaha XS650 debuted in 1970. What's more, the local Triumph dealership added a Yamaha franchise, and the mechanics there advised me to replace my '67 Triumph 650 Trophy with a new XS650 because they were sick and tired of working on Triumphs after the Yamaha proved to be a hellva lot more reliable.

Am not convinced that the process has begun as there's even more metric cruisers available now than ever before. And, what's more, Harley is doing a nice job with the more affordable Sportster range. The Dyna Fat Boy and the 6 gallon tanks on the touring models are sweet. We'll have to wait and see. Anything is possible.

Am looking forward to seeing the new Triumph 1500cc Parallel Twin next month.

HEY!!Are you joking, a Triumph parallel 1500cc twin? I missed something in the news. Holy cr-p, how will it even run, I hope it's not like my old Norton Commando, that shook hard below 3000 rpm, my 71 Triumph Bonnie shook hard above 3000 rpm! It'll probably have a counter shaft compartment as big as the engine. :)

longride 09-18-2007 12:49 PM

And the irony of your story about the junk Triumphs you used ot ride is that they are now desirable collectors items worth many thousands. To replace my old Norton would cost me about 10 times what I sold it for. The XS 650? I think I could buy a cherry one for about 500 bucks! I would think the reason for the value disparity is because one is the real thing and the other a copy, but I'm probably misguided again. The 'Raider' will be another in a long line of forgettable Japanese motorcycles. Star themselves will be the first to forget it. Pick up a used on in 2 years for half price.

longride 09-18-2007 12:52 PM

Hey Buzhead, you going to post up a story about your Knuck ride complete with pics, or do I have to do it?

longride 09-18-2007 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wallace666 (Post 169460)
A Virago 250cc isn't a sport bike. I think your a counterfeit motorcyclist, you really don't know what your talking about. Does your teacher know this is what your doing on the school computer??

At what point did I say a Virago was a sportbike? Does 'reading comprehension' ring a bell? Tell me you really aren't that stupid.

wallace666 09-18-2007 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 169465)
And the irony of your story about the junk Triumphs you used ot ride is that they are now desirable collectors items worth many thousands. To replace my old Norton would cost me about 10 times what I sold it for. The XS 650? I think I could buy a cherry one for about 500 bucks! I would think the reason for the value disparity is because one is the real thing and the other a copy, but I'm probably misguided again. The 'Raider' will be another in a long line of forgettable Japanese motorcycles. Star themselves will be the first to forget it. Pick up a used on in 2 years for half price.

I loved my old Triumph and Norton, at the time they were the sh-t, still are. The XS650 luckily are still not known well. Pumping the engines and converting them with Street Tracker kits is awesome.

On resale, the Star motorcycles are actually holding there own pretty good. They have a big following now, lots of goodies to pump and fix them up. They hold some kind of Drag Racing title don't they?? Is see HD Fat Boys and other models going for half purchase price after a few years now. There's just so many out there, dime a dozen, kinda like Jap bikes. Remember when HD production was low, used ones cost more than new ones for awhile, you couldn't get new ones. Those days are over.

If you look at all this thru a clear lens, basically all of our arguments are severely flawed. But why let that stop us....:)

longride 09-18-2007 01:14 PM

Rising prices and no discounts from Harley account for why you will never get a half-price FatBoy. The Japanese undercut their prices constantly and try to win the low price wars. That and obsolesence takes care of the resale. The Raider will be half price in two years. Just wait it out.

Kenneth_Moore 09-18-2007 01:25 PM

Some marketing bozo at Yermammahaw is going nuts. His job is to scan all the boards for feedback on what the "motorcycling public" is saying about their new bikes. WOW! 2,823 posts on the Raider at Motorcycle.com. Then he starts reading it and it's page after page after page of...whatever this stuff is.

Whee!

wallace666 09-18-2007 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 169472)
Rising prices and no discounts from Harley account for why you will never get a half-price FatBoy. The Japanese undercut their prices constantly and try to win the low price wars. That and obsolesence takes care of the resale. The Raider will be half price in two years. Just wait it out.

Check out the following areas of Craigslist for a couple of weeks:
sfbayarea, Nevada-Reno/Tahoe Area, and Sacramento.

Take your pic from many Fat Boys, Super Glides and Wide Glides ranging from $7500 to $10,000 asking prices. Low mileage, extras, they're dime a dozen. All these bikes cost about $15,000+ new out the door. With extras we're talking about buying them at half price.

This winter is going to be a HD buyers dream around here!! Last winter there were some seriously nice shovelheads selling for asking prices of $6000 to $7000 bucks.

I could jump on one of these easliy, but I've already owned a bunch of them. I want to try something new. I'm bored with 56hp HD's, or the thousands of dollars to get them to run good. That's why the Raider looks interesting to me.

When I went to the past two bike shows, I sat on a Vulcan 2000 and a Rocket 3, they're like baby Boss Hoss's, no thanks. I really like the Victorys, but the engines are nothing special, really nice bikes though.

When I see a Raider in person, if the finish is good and doesn't look like a M109 bic lighter, that may cinch the deal.

longride 09-18-2007 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wallace666 (Post 169476)
Check out the following areas of Craigslist for a couple of weeks:
sfbayarea, Nevada-Reno/Tahoe Area, and Sacramento.

Take your pic from many Fat Boys, Super Glides and Wide Glides ranging from $7500 to $10,000 asking prices. Low mileage, extras, they're dime a dozen. All these bikes cost about $15,000+ new out the door. With extras we're talking about buying them at half price.

This winter is going to be a HD buyers dream around here!! Last winter there were some seriously nice shovelheads selling for asking prices of $6000 to $7000 bucks.

I could jump on one of these easliy, but I've already owned a bunch of them. I want to try something new. I'm bored with 56hp HD's, or the thousands of dollars to get them to run good. That's why the Raider looks interesting to me.

When I went to the past two bike shows, I sat on a Vulcan 2000 and a Rocket 3, they're like baby Boss Hoss's, no thanks. I really like the Victorys, but the engines are nothing special, really nice bikes though.

When I see a Raider in person, if the finish is good and doesn't look like a M109 bic lighter, that may cinch the deal.

Haven't seen one FatBoy here for under 9 grand. If there was a 7500 buck one here, it probably has a blown engine or very close to one. Cheap Shovels are to be had for sure. I wouldn't mind picking one up and have two. You are missing the real bargains. Used sport bikes. I have my eye on a ZX-11 with 10,000 miles for 3 grand. Easily the most bang for the buck I have ever seen. Looks cherry too. Unfortunately, my license took a BIG hit riding that damned Hayabusa. It's crack on wheels! I buy cruisers to cruise. After riding sport bikes, the 'Power Cruiser' thing doesn't do anything for me.