Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 09-06-2007, 12:05 PM   #61
seruzawa
The Toad

One thing especially nice is the exposure of the Big4 claims that belts aren't strong enough for sportbikes as the usual bogus excuse for lack of foresight. They just don't want to admit that they are wrong and behind the curve. Fat and lazy.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2007, 12:17 PM   #62
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
One thing especially nice is the exposure of the Big4 claims that belts aren't strong enough for sportbikes as the usual bogus excuse for lack of foresight. They just don't want to admit that they are wrong and behind the curve. Fat and lazy.
No kidding. I'd prefer a belt over shaft or chain any day.

I'm sure Buell will have a chain and sprocket kit available for those who want to race and be able to easily change gearing.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:21 PM   #63
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

The other anti-belt argument I've heard is width, however, HD has come up with a 1/2 size belt to fit fat tire bikes that has all the strength of the older full size. It doesn't look much bigger than an o-ring chain to me.

Apparently (I'm trying to recall the details here) a side benefit of the 1125's belt is allowing the caliper to mount directly to the swingarm. That really makes a nice looking setup.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:13 PM   #64
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Yeah width.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
The other anti-belt argument I've heard is width, however, HD has come up with a 1/2 size belt to fit fat tire bikes that has all the strength of the older full size. It doesn't look much bigger than an o-ring chain to me.

Apparently (I'm trying to recall the details here) a side benefit of the 1125's belt is allowing the caliper to mount directly to the swingarm. That really makes a nice looking setup.
As if that's a factor on an I-4. The width of the belt is the least of your worries. The Japanese just can't admit that someone else had a better idea. What a crock.

If someone offered a belt kit to retrofit Japanese bikes like my ZRX I'd buy one in a heartbeat. So long chain lube.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:49 PM   #65
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Lube the Brain, not the Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
As if that's a factor on an I-4. The width of the belt is the least of your worries. The Japanese just can't admit that someone else had a better idea. What a crock.

If someone offered a belt kit to retrofit Japanese bikes like my ZRX I'd buy one in a heartbeat. So long chain lube.
Here's how retarded I am. A while ago there was a thread on chain maintenance and lubrication. I was reading all about it, and suddenly it occured to me I hadn't lubed the Kawi chain since I got it! Damn! So I head over to the garage to lube the chain, only to remember it's a FREAKIN DRIVE SHAFT STUPID!

It IS the first non-chain bike I've ever owned, but geez. It amazes me I can generate enough mental power to type.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:45 PM   #66
crashm1
Founding Member

I'm excited about the new bike and am trying to figure out how to unload my RC51 to get the 1125r.
Last spring I sold my 2000 X1 because the amount of money it would take to get it to make it entertaining again was way more than I would ever be able to get back out of it. After test riding several other V twins, a 999, and RSV and Buell XB12R, I picked up a 2002 Honda RC51, 8500 miles later I want my Buell back. I like the RC but it just doesn't make me grin like the Buell did. It's closer now after 4000.00 worth of suspension and other goodies, the problem is it's still and always will be painful to ride more than 200 miles at a time, plus it requires so much more commitment to use to it anywhere near it's ability that I tend to ride it way faster on public roads than I should. I guess if I could afford a track only bike it would make sense but I can't so I want something with the power of the RC and the comfy ergos of the X1. Now I just gotta figure out how to get my money back out of the Ohlins and other crap I hung on the Honda.
crashm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 02:01 PM   #67
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashm1 View Post
I'm excited about the new bike and am trying to figure out how to unload my RC51 to get the 1125r.
SNIPPAGE and the comfy ergos of the X1. Now I just gotta figure out how to get my money back out of the Ohlins and other crap I hung on the Honda.
If you do you might want to start working on that Cold Fusion thing next.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 03:13 PM   #68
crashm1
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
If you do you might want to start working on that Cold Fusion thing next.

I think I'll ebay the forks, shock and Moriwaki link and thorstens airbox and leave the pipes and power commander on it. That should get my investment back, everyone likes pipes and PCs enough to pay for 'em.
I got some ideas about that cold fusion just waiting on the patents before I tell anyone.
crashm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 04:05 PM   #69
TomSmith
Founding Member

Default chain vs belt

After reading comments about how superior belts are compared to chains, I assume that all racing bikes use belts. Drag racing, motocross, road race - they all use belts. Right?
TomSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 05:15 PM   #70
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Good point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSmith View Post
After reading comments about how superior belts are compared to chains, I assume that all racing bikes use belts. Drag racing, motocross, road race - they all use belts. Right?
... but to continue the analogy then Microsoft's OS must be the best in the world too! Almost everybody uses it.

All bikes used pushrods at one time. Then came Honda's OHCs.

Where's the idea come from that everything that's best for racing is best on the street? Perhaps we should have total loss electric systems on streetbikes then. Tires that last 1000 miles. Remove all centerstands and sidestands. Run 100% water...none of that pansy anti-freeze. Kidney busting suspensions that are flat dangerous on rough road surfaces. 2 gallon gas tanks.

This is fun.