Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-31-2007, 05:43 AM   #51
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

You're right. I'll let one of the Admins know and they will look into it.

Thanks for the heads up!
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2007, 07:34 AM   #52
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
How many builders in Europe are putting American S&S or RevTech V-Twins in their customs? A bunch.
Have you seen that new S&S Wedge engine? A buttload of hard-thinkin' an' "enginuity" (sic) went into the design of it - and by all accounts I've read so far, it is one Bad Mamma-Jamma.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:45 AM   #53
seruzawa
The Toad

Default The industry has been..

Quote:
"The exhaust, "looks like it was knocked out by a visually impaired, physically challenged person in a shed"

Cycle World, Oct 07: "One manufacturer after another, desperate to find adequate muffler volume, has turned to Buell's underslung solution. High, side-mounted mufflers now look clumsy, even dated."

What in the God’s name is going on in American engine industry? Porsche designed the VRod engine and Buell oursourced Rotax.

Globalization is a fact of life. I'd don't particulary like it, but I can live with it when there is a level playing field and a win-win for both sides (unlike the clusterf we've got with China). The fact that an American produced superbike exists at all today gives me great pride. It was only a few months ago we had a long thread called "Why Not Here?" the topic being no American superbike at all. BTW, How many builders in Europe are putting American S&S or RevTech V-Twins in their customs? A bunch. As for the car industry analogy, the less the motorcycle industry looks like the auto industry, the better I like it. However, I expect the Harley Hot Rod 350 sedans to start rolling off the lines in WS any day now.
... outsourcing and using designers and various other facilites in foreign countries forever. They all do it. Including the Japanese. It's just a fact of life. Trying to keep everything domestic only ensures eventual failure.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:50 AM   #54
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I'm sure there's a joke in there about that being the same engine that is in the current Buells...
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:43 AM   #55
Pete_Brissette
My member is not Junior!

Default Good counter, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwclay View Post
I thought that title went to the 78 Harley-Davidson XLCR 1000 Cafe Racer.
Plus, I guess it was just a matter of time until Harley got their engines from the same place that BMW gets theirs. Who woulda guessed.
...I guess when I was thinking large-scale I was thinking something greater than this:

"In 1977, the XLCR— whose design came from the pen and back-shop labors of Willie G. Davidson himself — was hailed as a beautiful design and an instant collector bike, but hardly anyone bought one. The XLCR was built only in 1977 and '78, and only 3123 copies were made." --XLCR Club - For enthusiasts, owners, riders and restorers of XLCR motorcycles

Old 09-04-2007, 07:56 PM   #56
OhioSteve
Founding Member

A serious sportbike with a relatively comfortable riding position, belt drive, a decent range, and heated grips! That's fantastic!

However, I do see one problem: dealer support. In the 1990s Harley promised all of their dealers a profitable new line of products, and then they delivered crap. Now H-D dealers take as few Buells as possible, and some actively discourage Buell buyers. Now transforming the dealers' attitudes is essential. After all, what is HD's advantage over Ducati? They have far more dealerships, and far larger dealerships. They need to maximize that asset.
OhioSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:30 AM   #57
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Buell Shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioSteve View Post
However, I do see one problem: dealer support. In the 1990s Harley promised all of their dealers a profitable new line of products, and then they delivered crap. Now H-D dealers take as few Buells as possible, and some actively discourage Buell buyers. Now transforming the dealers' attitudes is essential. After all, what is HD's advantage over Ducati? They have far more dealerships, and far larger dealerships. They need to maximize that asset.
An interesting, and IMO, accurate assessment. When I worked for Bruce Rossmeyer HD, only one of the three dealerships he owns carried Buell. And they were clearly not promoted at all. The sales guys couldn't make any money on them because they never sold for more than MSRP, often less. We made our money on selling for over MSRP. Buell didn't generate the accessory revenue either, and a lot of people in the store made money on accessories, from the "Chrome Consultant" to the parts counter guys. So, unless you came in looking to buy a Buell, you were not going to be sold one.

I do think Buell will make strides within the dealership network in the months ahead. The Uly has generated a lot of traffic and sales, and the 1125R is going to do the same. Also, at least around here, the bottom fell out of the chopper/custom market, leaving a revenue hole that Rossmeyer is going to be looking to plug somewhere.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:23 AM   #58
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Really?

Quote:
Also, at least around here, the bottom fell out of the chopper/custom market, leaving a revenue hole that Rossmeyer is going to be looking to plug somewhere.
Details? The chopper builders still seem busy around here, but if the trend is finally dying off then it's party time!

Evo basket cases cheap sometime soon!
Old 09-05-2007, 06:35 AM   #59
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I can only go by what I hear from my friends who still work at HD. They were selling 12-20 "factory" choppers (Ironhorse, Thunder Mountain, etc.) a month on average a couple of years ago. Now they're still trying to get rid of '05, and have a glut of '06's. I suspect the "true custom" builders (one-offs by smaller shops) still have some traction, especially the "Bobber" style which is the fad de jour.

I have this theory on customs: They started with progressively radical frames, engines, and tires. That's worn thin, so now they're moving to Bobbers, which at least are somewhat rideable. Next they'll start installing "fairing" and "saddlebags" to make the bikes useful for long trips. Eventually, they'll wind up with an Ultra or a Concours!
Old 09-06-2007, 10:14 AM   #60
elwood_617
Registered Member

Default The bike has a great personality...

Mr. Buell may have made the bike to handle/perform well, but why couldn't he have found a way to make it look better? I like to look at my bike after I ride it, this bike looks like I would have to put a paper bag over my head and think 1098 thoughts.
elwood_617 is offline   Reply With Quote