Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-30-2007, 11:02 AM   #41
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickbrit View Post
I just read Franklins view in MCN...

He slammed it really - close but no cigar - and berated EB for bringing an unfinished motorcycle to the press party.

The exhaust, "looks like it was knocked out by a visually impaired, physically challenged person in a shed"
...don't forget that Eric manged to get his sales up to 10K+ units/year in spite of all the carping by the vaunted press about the air-cooled motor. I suspect that he'll sell more and more each year still. I quit paying much heed to the motorcycle press decades ago when it became apparent that too many moto-journalists are just *****s who sell their copy to the highest bidder. Or just unreasonably hate Buells for whatever jingoistic reasons. I've lost count of the bikes I've owned and ridden that bore little actual resemblance to the supposed write ups in the mags.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-30-2007, 11:47 AM   #42
Fenton
Founding Member

Any clue about the seat to peg measurement? I noticed the pegs are adjustable and the ergonomics lean toward the "street" but how much room is there for a 34" inseam?

To keep with the trend, I would buy a Ulysses with that motor. I hope that statement comes back to haunt me.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:13 PM   #43
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Default Fenton you've doomed me......

If they put this engine in the Uly the only cop out's left will be uh I've just purchased another bike and can't afford another. I'll defer so I don't become one of the scorned "I'll buy one if.." crowd. But that fan has got to go!
sfcdjevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:31 PM   #44
Gritboy
Founding Member

Twin deliciousness. Comfy, nimble, stable and a large gas tank... sounds like a VFR killer. The styling's a bit odd, but if not an F800, this may be my next bike -- budget withstanding.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:43 PM   #45
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Faster around Streets of Willow raceway??

Still it would be nice to see a magazine writeup with a Buell coming out on top and in first place around a race track like “The Streets of Willow Springs”.

And this may be THE bike to do that. If it handles as good as they say and the power to weight is as good as they say with that much torque and smooth power delivery there is a high possibility that the Buell 1125r may just be faster around a track like that then the crazy Inline 4 competition.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:51 PM   #46
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrummett View Post
Still it would be nice to see a magazine writeup with a Buell coming out on top and in first place around a race track like “The Streets of Willow Springs”.

And this may be THE bike to do that. If it handles as good as they say and the power to weight is as good as they say with that much torque and smooth power delivery there is a high possibility that the Buell 1125r may just be faster around a track like that then the crazy Inline 4 competition.
Yeah, it better win a track shoot out by moto-journalists otherwise it will confirm that this new bike sucks and no one will buy it!
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:02 AM   #47
anrajala
Founding Member

Buell finally got a good engine it deserves. It was about the bloody time. It is bad enough the worster engine is still used in Worsters. But I am still disappointed.

What in the God’s name is going on in American engine industry? Porsche designed the VRod engine and Buell oursourced Rotax. As an European I should be happy but I am not. You guys have to pull the socks up and provide the world some variety. Some Yank engines that kick azz. The same decline has happened in cars, for years. Understandable with in-line fours but even in V8s, WTF? Do you even have a mass produced V12? What is really going on in the good ol’ States?

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:31 AM   #48
Auphliam
Founding Member

Hey MO mods, are you guys aware of a site called BikeIntro.com?

Just curious, because they have this exact story, word for word with images, on their site. Didn't know if it as an affiliate of yours or if they lifted your story and posetd it as their own.

Here's the link - Buell 1125R 2008 <-- Bikeintro - reviews, pictures, games, videos
Old 08-31-2007, 05:30 AM   #49
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

"The exhaust, "looks like it was knocked out by a visually impaired, physically challenged person in a shed"

Cycle World, Oct 07: "One manufacturer after another, desperate to find adequate muffler volume, has turned to Buell's underslung solution. High, side-mounted mufflers now look clumsy, even dated."

What in the God’s name is going on in American engine industry? Porsche designed the VRod engine and Buell oursourced Rotax.

Globalization is a fact of life. I'd don't particulary like it, but I can live with it when there is a level playing field and a win-win for both sides (unlike the clusterf we've got with China). The fact that an American produced superbike exists at all today gives me great pride. It was only a few months ago we had a long thread called "Why Not Here?" the topic being no American superbike at all. BTW, How many builders in Europe are putting American S&S or RevTech V-Twins in their customs? A bunch. As for the car industry analogy, the less the motorcycle industry looks like the auto industry, the better I like it. However, I expect the Harley Hot Rod 350 sedans to start rolling off the lines in WS any day now.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:33 AM   #50
bmwclay
Founding Member

Red face The 2008 Buell 1125R: America's first large-scale produion superbike?

I thought that title went to the 78 Harley-Davidson XLCR 1000 Cafe Racer.
Plus, I guess it was just a matter of time until Harley got their engines from the same place that BMW gets theirs. Who woulda guessed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XLCR.jpg (32.3 KB, 8 views)
bmwclay is offline   Reply With Quote